IGNORED

Tapper was completed for the 5200, in the 80's!

CPUWIZ

How do I know you ask. Well, I work with the guy who wrote it. He also wrote Buck Rogers for the 5200 and he told me today that he was working on a Dr. Pepper title for the 2600, which never went anywhere.

He told me that he handed the master disks over to Sega and no longer has a copy of them, he was in fear of legal action back then.

@Al: I also just noticed that you guys don't have his name in the list of programmers for the 5200, I told him you would add it. :ponder:

His name is Ken Jordan. :)

He also told me a funny story about the hidden text he put into Buck Rogers, Sega made him sign papers that made him agreed to the fact that his name will not be on the box, manual or game itself, so he put it into the middle of the binary. It reads "KEN JORDAN 213-766-6513", the phone number was his aunts phone number (where he lived at the time) and they received phone calls from all over the world wanting info on how he cracked it. LMAO

Peace out, I am tired. 8)

You know, the more stories like this I hear, the more I think that those games in the "not believed to exist" category on various 5200 FAQs are actually "waiting to be discovered" lists. I wonder if the actual 5200 Tapper was just a conversion of the 8-bit version like most 5200 games, or if it was a completely different version.

Now someone out there find me GRAVITAR!!! Please. :ahoy:

I've been terrible with overusing emoticons today...but I do like pirate-themed stuff:

parrot.gif

I wonder if the actual 5200 Tapper was just a conversion of the 8-bit version like most 5200 games, or if it was a completely different version.

It was a conversion and it was also a very painful change they forced upon him when they made him change the whole theme from Root Beer to Mountain Dew on both versions. Back then the pixels were entered by hand from a huge piece of graph-paper.

Is he related to Hal Jordan??! With the green ring and all?! Wow!

This is interesting news. So, Mr. Jordan ported the 8bit Buck Rogers to 5200? So who wrote the 8bit version, if anyone knows? And, are there any noticeable differences?

And, can he send me the engine? 8)

It looks like Sega canned several finished games before their release. Ixion for the 2600 was discovered at NWCGE this year, and now this. The gentleman that brought the Ixion proto to the show also mentioned another Sega proto that he used to have. It's cool how this kind of stuff keeps being discovered.

-Jarett