IGNORED

Anti-Modding

Is having the blinking screen part of a "pure" NES experience? Do I have to endure PS1's laser skipping problems just because I want to keep my system "pure"? Come on :roll:

This topic about "pureness" seems pointless to me. Outside of just altering hardware, this kind of attitude is the reason why (on Ebay) a NES top loader with a warranty card still attached to its box is more valuable than one without. They both play the same, right? So the buyer gets a "purer" system. Big deal! :roll:

Ok I suppose I can understand (slightly) on more common systems but,

there WILL be a time when the unmodified commons will be all extremely rare.

Now I'm not saying this will be for quite some time yet but, the more people

who mod are just ruining it for others who want an untouched system.

And emulation is not really the answer for people who dont want the system modified

because like many others have said and will continue to say "Emulation is not

perfect yet."

For some weird reason I have a feeling that soon the only place you will find

unmodified classic systems is in museums selling for outrageous prices like

$1.000.000 or £1.000.000 shocking, but true! :sad:

Unmodified systems would be great if you're just going to leave them in the box on a shelf or in a glass display case for your video game museum. It can suck if you actually planned on using them. CV's are 20+ years old and the elctrical components can and do dry out and drift out of their original values. What are you supposed to do if you find a CV that has an RF modulator that now only outputs a fuzzy black and white mess? Throw it in the garbage or convert it to S-video output and get another 20+ years of good use out of it? The CV's RF output was never very good when it was new. A lot of other older systems/computers have the same kind of problems now. What are you supposed to do, keep searching for a pristine looking system that also still works flawlessly and junk all the rest? Times have changed and people are going to want to hook up their systems to their newer TV's and HDTV's? Will all HDTV's even come with an input for old style RF in the future? If not what will those people do if they have no way to hook them up to their TV's? Buy a new TV to play their old system or just throw the system away? I think modding systems, if done correctly and cleanly, is a great thing because it makes these older systems a pleasure to use, makes people use them more frequently and adds value.

Ok I suppose I can understand (slightly) on more common systems but,

there WILL be a time when the unmodified commons will be all extremely rare.

Now I'm not saying this will be for quite some time yet but, the more people

who mod are just ruining it for others who want an untouched system.

And emulation is not really the answer for people who dont want the system modified

because like many others have said and will continue to say "Emulation is not

perfect yet."

For some weird reason I have a feeling that soon the only place you will find

unmodified classic systems is in museums selling for outrageous prices like

$1.000.000 or £1.000.000 shocking, but true! :sad:

I think you over-estimate the # of modders.

And really, this is the same sort of complaint that baffles me when I see furniture on something like Antiques Roadshow. You re-upholster a chair with no seat, so it's now worthless instead of the exhorbitant amount of money it was worth when it had nothing but a ragged fringe of cloth where some 18th century child got a grip and ripped the seat out.

Someone is taking a system and fixing it, or making it better.

BIG DEAL.

It's not like they're smashing it into a million pieces.

You'd have more of a point complaining about the Combats and PacMen that, last I heard, were consumed by the AtariAge store for repro and homebrew software. Destroyed, every last one.

But no one cares, because there's just so many out there.

Is having the blinking screen part of a "pure" NES experience?

You can replace it with a new, official connector, like I did.

I don't see how that's modding.

Because you opened it, of course! It's no longer all vintage components! YOU RUINED IT!

i moded my 7800 by puting in an ac adapter port to use conventional ac adapters. i saw this mod as necessary as intend to play this game as long as i can and not have it sit on a shelf gattering dust for the benefit of the occasional visit that notices my collection . some machines are for collecting : sealed box, heavy sixers , prototypes etc. if it was open and has scratches on it it is meant to be played. if the mods are to enhance or prolong the life cylce of these systems it is perfectly fine by me

There is only one true and legitimate way to experience Atari -- all other attempts border on blasphemy. One MUST follow the rules below:

You must only use an original Atari 2600 made in Sunnyvale, California with all original parts.

You must only only use an original Atari 2600 joystick or paddle.

You must only use a rf switch to connect to your television.

Others may tempt you to substitute a Sears branded manchine or a Coleco Gemini or an Atari made overseas, but stand strong. You don't need a Wico stick or rapid fire, and those that offer you video mods or Atari orange paint or other such snares and traps are merely deluded.

There is only one true and legitimate way to experience Atari -- all other attempts border on blasphemy. One MUST follow the rules below:

You must only use an original Atari 2600 made in Sunnyvale, California with all original parts.

You must only only use an original Atari 2600 joystick or paddle.

You must only use a rf switch to connect to your television.

Others may tempt you to substitute a Sears branded manchine or a Coleco Gemini or an Atari made overseas, but stand strong. You don't need a Wico stick or rapid fire, and those that offer you video mods or Atari orange paint or other such snares and traps are merely deluded.

I think you are taking this way too seriously. :ponder:

And you can go right ahead and play with your fuzzy RF picture and crappy joysticks, but don't go trying to tell others what they should think about the subject ;)

To each their own :)

Hmm i'm interested in the genesis mod, think it'll work on a nomad? hehe. The modding issue. I don't see a problem with it as long as its a "common" system... Don't mod a heavy sixer, that's what the 4 switch systems are for. Besides, they give out a worse RF signal, so its more appropriate on the 4-switch to be modded. Being a computer modifier, I am totally for modifications, just not on rare things...

LIES! THE SEARS 6-SWITCH IS THE ONE TRUE PATH TO GAMING NIRVANA!

Geez, the mod-bashing is a little re-damn-diculous. I don't know how many of you involved on this topic are old enough to have had one of these classic RF output consoles when they were brand new. They looked good back then when they were new, but like it was said, with all the electrical interference we have now-a-days, bypassing the RF outputs for composite or better audio and video outputs is the only choice if you want a half-way decent picture. I appreciate the collecting aspect of the hobby and I have an original non-modded system to match every modded system I have.

I just always went with the heavier cable for my RF connection. That and I think my TV is a little more forgiving about impedance mismatches. My Girlfriend's TV has all sorts of wacky mismatch problems. Not to mention it's a mod I'm just not motivated to do.

As for the Genesis-OC mod, watch the hardware section for updates. I found what the last guy did and it looks pretty crude. I'll have to add at least one IC and replace another. Then we shall see who has the better hack-fu. :D

Hex.

[ Is not the master, but is still a two-fisted fixin' kind of guy... ]

Am I the only one here who is against modding classic video game systems and controllers?

Gutting 5200 controllers to make paddles...you know, I can play super breakout just fine with the analog joysticks. Why can't you..?

[/size]

All I can say is once you've played Castle Crisis with a 5200 'paddle' controller, you'll never want to go back.

Allan

The tweakers/modifiers are few and far between. look at all the ebay auctions that they sell Atari's at. They barely play it, they have no reason to mod it. There is only a handful of modifiers compared to the rest of the atari world. And i'm sticking to my statement above. Unless the system has lost its value (heavy sixer with sunnydale ca sticker missing, plastic damaged to beyond repair, any light sixer, any 4 switch, any jr.) mod it! You don't know what you are missing until you plug in Pitfall 2 and hear perfect sound, and see Pitfall Harry perfect on the screen. As the ages go by, older technology gets less and less quality (the rf on new tv's.) sure it looked great when the atari came out but everyone was concentrated on that rf signal. nowadays, people are going to cheaper and cheaper parts to make the tv's, to get more of a profit. So, no matter what, less quality unless you are still using a really old TV. Thats why we mod it, so we can play on a better and cleaner picture, and the atari can support more tv's.

I have a Mod'd Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer that povlok1 sold/made for me. Before anyone jumps on me, this Heavy Sixer was missing all the stickers on the bottom, so Jeff didn't have any problem doing the Mod. The unit was cleaned and refirbushed and now looks as good as the day it was sold. Composite Video was the only way I could play an Atari on my A/V system.

I just could not fathom playing a 4 switcher and had to have a Sixer. Once Jeff told me he had a Heavy Sixer with the label ripped on the bottom, I jumped on that one. I'm not a collector that will let this bad boy sit, I want to play em. I missed my Atari these last 20 years. :love: