IGNORED

My 1st Atari 2600 game (Man Goes Down)

Alex H

Hello everyone,

I thought it was about time I posted some sort of update.

Basically, I've been unwell and haven't really been up to coding and stuff. Without going into too much detail, it's a problem that's affected me on/off for the past few years but in general hasn't impacted on my life too much. But this time it's perstistant and it's pretty much knocked me out of action for much of the past 3 months. Anyhow, I have hospital appointments next week so hopefully things will get fixed pretty soon and I can get back on with my life, and more importantly coding MGD! (You have no idea how much I'm itching to get on with it!)

Sorry about the delay folks. I'll keep you all posted...

Alex

Hello everyone,

Basically, I've been unwell and haven't really been up to coding and stuff.  Without going into too much detail, it's a problem that's affected me on/off for the past few years but in general hasn't impacted on my life too much.  But this time it's perstistant and it's pretty much knocked me out of action for much of the past 3 months.  Anyhow, I have hospital appointments next week so hopefully things will get fixed pretty soon and I can get back on with my life, and more importantly coding MGD!  (You have no idea how much I'm itching to get on with it!)

Sorry about the delay folks.  I'll keep you all posted...

Alex

852666[/snapback]

Thanks for the update, sorry to hear about the health issues, I hope you are well again soon. I look forward to new progress on MGD when you're able to start working on it again. :)

..Al

Basically, I've been unwell and haven't really been up to coding and stuff. 

852666[/snapback]

Do take care of yourself and put yourself in the first room! The "beta" of Man Goes Down (which I've been playing on my 2600, PAL version, using the Krokodile Cart) is really so good that it makes waiting much easier...

Regards,

Moderntimes99

• 1 month later...

Hi Alex:

I just got through with another great game of MGD! on my newly modified 7800 console playing on a lumina/ chroma monitor with the CC2 and the AtariVOX.

What a satisfying gaming experience!

After game over you should add some more speech! Repeat MGD when the title comes up. Maybe "Fruits of your labors" when the fruit screen is displayed. "high scores" or "No high score yet" when there is not yet a top score on that screen?

Thanks Alex!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

852666[/snapback]

Well, I hope all goes well. Your game seems pretty good though I wonder why Z26 goes to the high score screen at the end of the game (but then never saves scores). Is the game getting faked out into thinking there's an Atarivox installed?

I'd really like to see this game go forward--it's really cool.

I just got through with another great game of MGD! on my newly modified 7800 console playing on a lumina/ chroma monitor with the CC2 and the AtariVOX.

What a satisfying gaming experience!

878754[/snapback]

:)

After game over you should add some more speech!  Repeat MGD when the title comes up.  Maybe "Fruits of your labors" when the fruit screen is displayed.  "high scores" or "No high score yet" when there is not yet a top score on that screen?

Yes, I will be putting more speech in there.

Your game seems pretty good though I wonder why Z26 goes to the high score screen at the end of the game (but then never saves scores).  Is the game getting faked out into thinking there's an Atarivox installed?

879760[/snapback]

Yes, there's something wrong with Z26's I/O emulation. No such problems when running on the real hardware or in Stella.

After game over you should add some more speech!  Repeat MGD when the title comes up.  Maybe "Fruits of your labors" when the fruit screen is displayed.  "high scores" or "No high score yet" when there is not yet a top score on that screen?

Yes, I will be putting more speech in there.

880159[/snapback]

Great to see you back here Alex! One thing I'm wondering about is what else you consider doing with Man Goes Down - especially as the latest beta posted to this thread looks really finished...

Regards,

Moderntimes99

The down arrows speed up your rate of fall. The bubble allows you to float, instead of free-fall, the skateboard lets you zip back and forth much faster, and the stop sign stops the game for a moment, allowing you to catch up.

The skateboard's the most useful. If you can get that, you can eventually get to the 'impossible' blue zone (around 380 points).

I love the game, very fun. But the name doesn't feel very 2600 too me, although I like the lable that was posted earlier in the thread. I'm guessing it's to late to change anything though. I probably would have gone with Descender.

And what are the green/yellow/red pickups, are they mangos?

• 2 weeks later...

881999[/snapback]

Since the title of the game is "MANGOES down"...

890575[/snapback]

Not to mention that the AtariVox sings "Mangooo~" when you grab one.

881999[/snapback]

Since the title of the game is "MANGOES down"...

890575[/snapback]

Not to mention that the AtariVox sings "Mangooo~" when you grab one.

890664[/snapback]

Ahh, yes, I love that effect. Someone needs to make an MP3 of that. :D

..Al

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just got my AtariVox and the game is sorta cute with it (though I prefer my games not to use profanity no matter how badly I do). Unfortunately, the high scores don't seem to save properly. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm using the supplied 9-9 extension cord with my Atari 7800.

Unfortunately, the high scores don't seem to save properly.

It has very recently been discovered that the internal pull-ups on some consoles are not adequate when interfaced to a serial EEPROM.

(doesn't affect the speech part of the unit)

The addition of 2 x 10K resistors are required on the EEPROM for reliable operation -

One between the SDA (pin 5) and 5V, and another between SCL (pin 6) and 5V.

This has now been corrected on the next revision of the AtariVox.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Edited by Richard H.

Unfortunately, the high scores don't seem to save properly.

It has very recently been discovered that the internal pull-ups on some consoles are not adequate when interfaced to a serial EEPROM.

(doesn't affect the speech part of the unit)

The addition of 2 x 10K resistors are required on the EEPROM for reliable operation -

One between the SDA (pin 5) and 5V, and another between SCL (pin 6) and 5V.

This has now been corrected on the next revision of the AtariVox.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

897013[/snapback]

I think it is actually a problem with the latest relase of the game. I mentioned it Earlier after I downloaded the newest version and it wouldn't save scores anymore. I don't think it is a problem with the atarivox since the old versions still save.

The down arrows speed up your rate of fall.

881157[/snapback]

I hadn't noticed any such effect from the arrows, and on some levels I wouldn't like it even if I did. The mushroom seems to protect the player from hunger until the next mango, sometimes with the consequence of reversing the controls. The gold cherries make a high-pitched ding but don't seem to do anything else. Ever since scoring 333 points, though, I've noticed that there's a fizzy powerup at the start that warps ahead to the purple zone. Might be useful if I could get a skateboard, but since the game gives me arrows, bubbles, and mushrooms instead warping to the pink zone seems sorta useless.

Things I'd like to see: [1] push up when falling for more aggressive platform-grabbing; [2] running jump--not that it would add much soaring distance, but it would look cool; [3] magic goggles power-up: lets user see what next platform is going to be ahead of time; [4] running shoes powerup--like the skateboard, but only on platforms; [5] shuba(sp?) power-up [from Below the Root]--slows player's descent when gliding left/right unless player pulls down; [6] faster bubble powerup--at present, the bubble is at best useless; [7] WHOAH! speech if player is on a platform and grabs a stop sign; [8] an actual released MANGOES DOWN cartridge. :)