IGNORED

My 1st Atari 2600 game (Man Goes Down)

Alex H

Just dusting off this thread to say that I played Man Goes Down for the first time at last year's Houston Area Arcade Expo, thanks to Albert and the incomparable spread of games he offers every year he shows up. I was instantly hooked. Fast forward almost a year, and I remembered I still hadn't acquired the game. After finding this thread and catching up on news, I'll just add my voice to the many who hope Alex is okay and will one day decide to come back and finish this. Until then, thank you, talented sir, for what we have so far!

• Like 4

The humor in the AtariVox speech is unsurpassed!

My Godson's brother (special needs) however did not like that it tells you "You suck!" when you die early, and I witnessed him beating Sonic 3 on my real Genesis when he was 9.

But I made him laugh day after day by repeating what Man Goes Down says when you get 2nd!

"First of the losers!"

• Like 1

Is this the latest build: mgd_201204.zip?

EDIT - I got the bin from the website. Although I had a hard time finding a link to the file. Thanks to another AA user who provided this: http://www.herbs64.plus.com/files/mgd.bin

Forgive my ignorance as I have not been following this game. Is this ROM link the latest release? Will there be or was there a cartridge release? It appears AtariAge already did a label contest some years ago...

• Like 1

While the humor is great, it's the nuances and inflections in the voice that really shine. Most games do not control the AtariVox as exquisitely as Man Goes Down. There's even a "May the fruit be with you" line, complete with perfectly-replicated R2D2 beeps.

..Al

Nice! I too, remember this game from last years Houston Area Arcade Expo. Can't wait to play it again.

Believe me - Al would love to be able to sell Man Goes Down. But he's not going to sell Alex's game without his permission. Even though the label contest was completed (and the manual itself is about 3/4 done), the game was never finished. It's up to the creator of a game to determine if or when it's ready to go.

• Like 2

Albert, you need to fix this ASAP.

There's nothing more Al can do, ASAP or otherwise. He's tried to reach out to Alex in several ways, including snail mail.

Alex has been in contact with others and updated his website, so he's around to some degree. He just doesn't seem to want to talk about his 2600 homebrew anymore, or talk about why he doesn't want to talk about it. It's his prerogative, however unfortunate.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

"Man Goes Down" has long been one of my favorite homebrews. Looking back through the thread, I see that my first post about it was from 2004. It's too bad that Alex never authorized a final cart release because it certainly feels like a finished product and quite deserving of wider attention.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I too was wondering what the latest binary available on this was? The latest I have found does not have the great background music, the save iniitials, or the AtariVox sounds. Of course, the later might be an issue with having the AtariVox+ and not the original.

Try this download: http://www.herbs64.plus.com/files/mgd.bin

• Like 3

It's a great game. I don't know what happened to the author but I don't think he's in contact with anyone here. I believe there were attempts to contact him with no luck. I could be thinking of someone else though, I'm not sure. It's a shame that another homebrew author couldn't pick up the mantle and continue the work on the game although I guess you'd need the source code or else you're just starting from scratch.

• Like 1

Thanks! What great additions from the original game and the voice snippets are fantastic and that opening music is kicking... and no problems with AtariVox+ going all screwy on me either!

Am I supposed to do something when I get all the down arrows prizes?

It's a great game. I don't know what happened to the author but I don't think he's in contact with anyone here. I believe there were attempts to contact him with no luck. I could be thinking of someone else though, I'm not sure. It's a shame that another homebrew author couldn't pick up the mantle and continue the work on the game although I guess you'd need the source code or else you're just starting from scratch.

The game does seem complete codewise.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...