IGNORED

My 1st Atari 2600 game (Man Goes Down)

Alex H

• 2 weeks later...
with so much progress and the front page news story, is there any chance this gets released before the first of the year? :ponder:

Hope so!

NEVER... rush... a... developer :!:

;)

Sometimes this developer needs a good kick in the posterior to get things done. :sleep:

I know "Man Goes Down" is the current selection for the title, but if you're not crazy about the innuendo in that...

Bah, nothing wrong with the title. The Vec version was called Spike Goes Down, but this time it's not Spike - it's just some dude. Maybe I should give him a name. How about BJ? :ponder: :P

Are you looking for suggestions at all?

I've made some improvements based on earlier suggestions, so feel free. Having said that though, I'm quite far in now and have everything pretty much planned out, so it'd have to be a damn good suggestion if it requires big changes.

I'm attaching a new binary 'cos the last one had bad EEPROM driver code. The footstep sounds have been improved slightly in this version but otherwise there's not much new to see. (Well, there is new stuff in there but you're not allowed that yet!)

Alex

mgd_151104.zip

I know "Man Goes Down" is the current selection for the title, but if you're not crazy about the innuendo in that...

Bah, nothing wrong with the title. The Vec version was called Spike Goes Down, but this time it's not Spike - it's just some dude. Maybe I should give him a name. How about BJ? :ponder: :P

"The Fall Guy" wasn't too bad either...I just think that "Man Goes Down" sounds innuendoish in a way "Spike Goes Down" doesn't...it kind of overwhelms the main concept I think. But, obviously it's your game, if you think it's important to give a nod to the game's roots, then go for it.

I've made some improvements based on earlier suggestions, so feel free.  Having said that though, I'm quite far in now and have everything pretty much planned out, so it'd have to be a damn good suggestion if it requires big changes.

I have played the demo and like it very much indeed. However, I think a simultaneous two player would make it even better! (If it can't be done without flickering that wouldn't matter too much...)

Some music, on the title screen, maybe? Or even in the game?

Best regards,

Moderntimes99

I have played the demo and like it very much indeed. However, I think a simultaneous two player would make it even better! (If it can't be done without flickering that wouldn't matter too much...)

Be sure to check out Fall Down:

http://www.atariage.com/development_page.h...evelopmentID=78

It has a similar gameplay mechanic, but an emphasis on head to head play rather than slickly getting around. In some ways it's less polished (I especially love Miller Genuine Draft's...err, Man Goes Down's...running animation, but I love a good head to head game...and Fall Down even has some good AI.

So is that supposed to be a burp after he eats anything?

If so, I think it should vary as you transition from getting the last fruit to getting the special item.

Also the voice doesn't annunciate v's very well, they all sound like f's. It sounds like it is saying "AtariFox, and Game Ofer" :D

It sounds OK to me, although with most allophonic speech, your ears have to get used to it a bit.

I am not saying it sounds bad or anything (it actually sounds damn good for one chip)

I still like it and can't wait for more games to try out. Or maybe even like a soundboard game that uses the keyboards to say different words :)

I need something else than these same 5 phrases on mgd :D

need something else than these same 5 phrases on mgd

If you hang on, I'm making the AtariVox version of this -

www.vectrex.biz/VecVox_PC.JPG

It allows you to connect it to a PC's serial port, and then use this AtariVox friendly version of the SpeakJet util software -

www.vectrex.biz/PhraseALator.zip

need something else than these same 5 phrases on mgd

If you hang on, I'm making the AtariVox version of this -

www.vectrex.biz/VecVox_PC.JPG

It allows you to connect it to a PC's serial port, and then use this AtariVox friendly version of the SpeakJet util software -

www.vectrex.biz/PhraseALator.zip

Wow, sounds really great. I had no idea anything like that even existed for the vecvox. I should also point out that I don't own any vectrex hardware as of yet, so all of this voice stuff is new to me. :D

Thanks for sharing what you are working on, and now I will sit here patiently and try not to piss anyone else off :D

Hi there!
...I just think that "Man Goes Down" sounds innuendoish...

To me it sounds rather emancipated :D

Hey, I'm no prude or puritan or anything remotely like that. I just think it's false advertising! I would think it was more like "beat 'em and eat 'em" with a name like that.

It's more my bias against irrelevant (possibly semi-accidental) puns. I love a good pun, but this one only works on one level that has nothing to do with the actual gameplay...

Be sure to check out Fall Down:

http://www.atariage.com/development_page.h...evelopmentID=78

It has a similar gameplay mechanic, but an emphasis on head to head play rather than slickly getting around. In some ways it's less polished (I especially love Miller Genuine Draft's...err, Man Goes Down's...running animation, but I love a good head to head game...and Fall Down even has some good AI.

I have tried Fall Down now, and I actually think that I prefer "Man Goes Down", not only because of the more polished graphics but because the smaller platforms, in my opinion, lead to a more interesting game play. Therefore I'd love to see a two player mode in "Man Goes Down". (I'd still prefer to have the single player mode remain as is, though, i.e. no AI computer controlled player in single player mode...). Maybe there could be two settings, in "easy" mode the two players could be able two walk through each other, whereas in "hard" mode they could block each other... A bad idea? Hard (or impossible) to implement?

Best regards,

Moderntimes99

So is that supposed to be a burp after he eats anything?

If so, I think it should vary as you transition from getting the last fruit to getting the special item.

Yes, that is a burp. The little speech that's in there so far is just for testing. I'll expand the speech and level data to fill whatever ROM space is left, so that's why I'm leaving it till last.

Or maybe even like a soundboard game that uses the keyboards to say different words :)  

I need something else than these same 5 phrases on mgd :D

You might want to grab the latest version of my AtariVox driver. Included is a little program vox_test.bin that plays speech triggered by the joystick. The source code is also included so you can edit and play with the speech.

Hey, I'm no prude or puritan or anything remotely like that.  I just think it's false advertising!  I would think it was more like "beat 'em and eat 'em" with a name like that.

So what sort of game would you expect "The Descent of Man" to be? Would "The Fall Guy" be false advertising, because he don't look much like Lee Majors to me?

It's more my bias against irrelevant (possibly semi-accidental) puns.  I love a good pun, but this one only works on one level that has nothing to do with the actual gameplay...

How is "Man Goes Down" any less relevant to the gameplay? I understand why you're not so keen on the title and it's not that I thought "The Descent of Man" and "The Fall Guy" were bad suggestions - they're just not the title of my game. It's Man Goes Down to me and anyone else who's seen it, and I'm not about to change it just becuase some prude can't handle it! Try thinking of mangoes instead - perhaps that will help. :) (Hey, I'm just joking, incase that wasn't obvious.)

I especially love Miller Genuine Draft's...err, Man Goes Down's...running animation

Ah, now I get the MGD reference made in the AtariVox thread. (I am not familiar with said beverage.)

I just got the "bubble" powerup (not sure what it does) but the game crashed as soon as I touched it. (I was the using the helicopter powerup at the time.)

Oops! I missed the "branch out of range" error when I assembled that. The CPU leaps for the bubble code, misses and plummets to it's death! :lol: I'll post a working version shortly.

I have tried Fall Down now, and I actually think that I prefer "Man Goes Down", not only because of the more polished graphics but because the smaller platforms, in my opinion, lead to a more interesting game play. Therefore I'd love to see a two player mode in "Man Goes Down". (I'd still prefer to have the single player mode remain as is, though, i.e. no AI computer controlled player in single player mode...). Maybe there could be two settings, in "easy" mode the two players could be able two walk through each other, whereas in "hard" mode they could block each other... A bad idea? Hard (or impossible) to implement?

No, not a bad idea, but very hard to do now. Shortage of RAM for the 2nd player's variables is a problem. Besides, the AtariVox plugs in port 2. I think the format of Fall Down works better for 2 players anyway - the play area is wider and I like the way it's more of a race rather than just trying not to fall off the screen.

One suggestion:

Add some cool 'MGD' music!!

If I have room for it and if I can come up with anything which sounds vaguely musical. The 2600 isn't exactly a natural when it comes to music, and I don't want to compromise other parts of the game just for the sake of fitting it in. I'm attaching a binary that has a tiny little segment of music. The data's fairly compact so maybe I could expand on it, but I'm not really sure it's the right style for MGD.

Alex

wscroll.zip