IGNORED

My 1st Atari 2600 game (Man Goes Down)

Alex H

You guys are playing MGD in emulation .. wait until you play it on the real thing with the AtariVox saving your high scores!  Yes it could have been a real winner back in the 80s .. it would have become a commonly found cart!  Now it is a winner in the modern era!

I agree, the AtariVox is great, not just because of the added speech and sound capabilities, but also because of its ability to save high scores and other information. I've already enjoyed MGD with the AtariVox using a Krokodile Cart. :) I can't wait to hear the game with more speech! And being able to pop the cart back in and having your previous high scores listed is great! I hope this gets used for other new homebrew games and that some older games will be updated to support the AtariVox.

..Al

I hope this gets used for other new homebrew games and that some older games will be updated to support the AtariVox.

Once people get both the MGD and AtariVox and see what it is capable of doing .. they will demand support from the homebrewers! And Richard just suggested that the AtariVox will work with the A8 computers and others (Colecovision, C64 others?). :D

Alex, when will MGD be finished?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Once people get both the MGD and AtariVox and see what it is capable of doing .. they will demand support from the homebrewers!  And Richard just suggested that the AtariVox will work with the A8 computers and others (Colecovision, C64 others?). :D

I agree, once a few titles are out and people have a chance to see what the AtariVox is capable of, I think there will be pretty good demand for it. If the AtariVox will work with other systems, even better. :)

..Al

so now I have to get a VOX to play MGD?   :sad:  :?

No, the AtariVox is optional. It simply adds speech to the game and allows you to save your high scores. Outside of that, there is no change in the gameplay.

..Al

Any ideas about when "MGD" might show up in the store? I need to blow $50 there by Dec. 31st, ya know!

Any ideas about when "MGD" might show up in the store?  I need to blow $50 there by Dec. 31st, ya know!

It's doubtful it will show up in the store before the end of the year. After a label design is chosen, the design may need to be tweaked a bit, and a manual needs to be created as well and that generally takes a bit of time. Given how busy people usually are this time of year, it's unlikely the manual will get finished before then. And Alex is still working on the game, which of course is the most important factor. :)

..Al

No, the AtariVox is optional.  It simply adds speech to the game and allows you to save your high scores. Outside of that, there is no change in the gameplay.

Will there be a least some limited highscore saving feature without AtariVox?

I don't want a complete highscore table, but storing the just highscore for the current session would be nice.

A new high score of 211!  Dare I hope that I might be the current "Man Goes Down" World Record-Holder?

I've been playing, and playing, and playing this thing... and every time I get stop signs, I only get three in a row, then it starts me back over with cherries again. Could the 32 in a row have been a bug, or is the number of stop signs supposed to vary?

I've been playing, and playing, and playing this thing... and every time I get stop signs, I only get three in a row, then it starts me back over with cherries again. Could the 32 in a row have been a bug, or is the number of stop signs supposed to vary?

Really? Weird -- I'm quite sure that every time I've gotten a stop sign, they've kept appearing continuously until I miss one. Are you sure we're playing the same version? I think mine is the most recent one, as far as I know...

(Now that I think about it, it is odd that my item patterns have become so consistent -- I haven't seen a bubble in quite a while, for instance. I wonder if it's something about my particular style of play, maybe? That seems unlikely, though.)

By the way, the closest I've come to matching my record of 211 was a score of 190 a couple days ago. It's looking more and more like I just had a streak of really great luck -- but hey, I'll take it! :D[/i]

Well, I got a new high score...of 326!! :D

But what (to my mind) is even cooler: when my man finally perished, he did it by running into the edge of the game's universe!

After I got past the 211 mark, I was mentally counting the number of stop signs I'd gotten, concerned that if I rolled it past 99, the game might crash or otherwise throw up a glitch. After my 55th stop sign, the 56th one was within reach (i.e. not over a gap), but too far away to grab in time. So I skated on, and almost immediately, the blue section ended, giving way to a grey area whose only feature was an impassable wall of yellow and golden light! I assume this is a hard-coded barrier to, as AlexH said earlier, keep one from getting into game data -- but I guess it doesn't appear until you've been in the blue area for a while, and then miss a stop sign.

Anyway, pretty cool! I only grabbed a screenshot of the "light wall" once it'd already scrolled to the top of the screen, but here it is, along with my final score:

post-6067-1103489467_thumb.jpg

post-6067-1103489468_thumb.jpg

Ok, I've got the version with the bubble glitch that causes the game to crash when you touch the bubble. Where is the new, fixed version? I thought I downloaded the newest one???

The improvements on this game are stellar. :) :) :) I didn't think it could get better! :)

Ok people. I'm attaching a new version. I was really hoping I'd have it completely finished by now, but sadly not. (I must have been insane thinking I'd get it done at this time of year.)

Anyhow, most stuff is in now. There's still some speech missing (stop sign, high score 3rd, 4th, 5th place and a couple of other odds and sods) and some of the level data is screwy/incomplete so we have an impossible blue section again - in the 2nd zone. The final game will have 9 zones. I'll leave it to you to work out what that's all about :))

Merry Christmas,

Alex

mgd_201204.zip

Although I can't seem to find it right now, I asked whether z26 or Stella would have support for the Atarivox in the future. I believe the answer was that eventually z26(?) would. Instead of true emulation, the emulator will access sound samples much the same as Mame does for some games where the sound isn't fully emulated.

Well, I've been playing this all day, and I'm getting better!

My best score is 207 (I'm not smart enough to take screen shots with z26, or they are PCX and my computer can't read it or something).

That damn bubble is useless. I get killed everytime I touch it.

The skateboard, and copter pack RULE. I love the funkadelic shroom!!

I still have two power-ups to discover!

Wonderful game, wonderful. Cart form soon please! :) :) :)