IGNORED

Do you own a NUON as well as a Jaguar? (Survey of sorts...)

justclaws

Do you own a NUON in addition to a Jaguar?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a NUON in addition to a Jaguar?

• Yes, I own both!
    • Jaguar Only
    • NUON Only
    • Neither (I'm so sad!)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

yea,I bought both. I have 2 samsung n501s. Also have all the US games. I want crayon shin chan tho! anyone know where I can get that game! It's the only one I'm missing. I think the jag and the nuon go nicely together. And only with a nuon can you enjoy the nuon enhanced buckaroo banzai dvd :-)

Got em both :) I love my Nuon - of coruse id love it more if i had Iron Soldier 3 for it :) The demo DVD i have for IS3 just doesnt cut it anymore

I've got an N501, only two games tho, Ballistic (packin) and T3k, since as the shirt says, "Tempest 3000 is reason enough"... talking of which, I really must get one, they're only available from cafepress right?

Hello,

I've got an N501, only two games tho, Ballistic (packin) and T3k, since as the shirt says, "Tempest 3000 is reason enough"... talking of which, I really must get one, they're only available from cafepress right?

So does the N501 play UK DVD's OK - how did you unlock region 2,

or do you do so each time? (Having an N505, but without controller

ports, I'm sadly to-date without a Tempest 3000, now hard to get.)

I had pondered getting an N501 too some-time, if one came up...

I only have Ballistic, which was not a European pack-in of course,

but did not to-date track down any other titles, I missed bargains.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Hello' date='

I've got an N501' date=' only two games tho, Ballistic (packin) and T3k, since as the shirt says, "Tempest 3000 is reason enough"... talking of which, I really must get one, they're only available from cafepress right?[/quote']

So does the N501 play UK DVD's OK - how did you unlock region 2,

or do you do so each time? (Having an N505, but without controller

ports, I'm sadly to-date without a Tempest 3000, now hard to get.)

I had pondered getting an N501 too some-time, if one came up...

Nope, it dosnt :(

the N501 lacks... something, I think its enough memory in the screen buffer, to render pal sized video, so even when region unlocked, it can only play ntsc size disks. I generally use my PC for watching R2 films, and the Nuon for playing T3k and a few r1 or r0 ntsc movies.

So far, I only have a Jaguar, but intend on getting a NUON sometime soon. But, first i have a few Q's:

:arrow: Which one is best (or pros's & con's of 'em all - if any)?

:arrow: Are they multi-region compatible?

:arrow: Does anyone know if they were released in Australia?

The primary reason for wanting one is T3k, the newer VLM and Iron Soldier 3.

Btw, i just got Iron Soldier 3 for the Playstation yesterday (pretty cool, except no 2-P split-screen simultaneous co-op :sad: ). Does anyone know how the IS3 games compare - PSX vs NUON :?:

:arrow: Which one is best (or pros's & con's of 'em all - if any)?

For NTSC' date=' the Samsung DVD-N501 is definitely the best - MP3 and CDR capabilities, improved VLM and can play downloadable homebrew games.

For PAL the Samsung DVD-N504 is the best, but quite rare. The N505 is slightly more common but lacks NUON controller ports. Though they can be hacked on.

:arrow: Are they multi-region compatible?

The N501 can be hacked to be region free (see this link), but it cannot do PAL to NTSC conversion. So it can only handle DVD's from other NTSC regions such as Japan.

:arrow: Does anyone know if they were released in Australia?

I don't believe any NUON DVD players were released in Australia - only the US, Europe and Korea as far as I know. The Motorola Streamaster (a NUON-enhanced set top box) was test marketed in Australia, however.

Does anyone know how the IS3 games compare - PSX vs NUON :?:

http://www.nuon-dome.com/readrev/is3compare.html

:D

Thanks K3V, thats very useful info, esp the comparison review of IS3 for the two systems (now i'm even more inclined to get a NUON :D )

The web site is pretty cool too :cool:

Now i just need to familiarize myself with which games can be played on which 'zones' (eg. the Korean game can apparently only be played on the Samsung DVD-N591).

Thanks K3V' date=' thats very useful info, esp the comparison review of [i']IS3[/i] for the two systems (now i'm even more inclined to get a NUON :D )

The web site is pretty cool too :cool:

Now i just need to familiarize myself with which games can be played on which 'zones' (eg. the Korean game can apparently only be played on the Samsung DVD-N591).

No problem. Glad you like the site.

The only game with regional lockout is Crayon Shin-Chan 3, which only works on the Korean N591, like you mentioned. All the rest of the games work on all machines, much like how Jag games work on both PAL and NTSC machines.

For NTSC' date=' the Samsung DVD-N501 is definitely the best - MP3 and CDR capabilities, improved VLM and can play downloadable homebrew games.[/quote']

Sorry to repeat this, I think I wrote it in the wrong thread earlier.

I think it's (the N501) not got the highest resolution VLM though of the USA ones has it, wasn't that the Samsung N2000? However, the Samsung N501 has many more patterns? Isn't there a table about it on your NUON-Dome Kev?

The Toshiba player (model #?) was sadly crippled with a very restricted VLM feature as well, was it not, and neither the Toshiba nor the original Samsung N2000 can play CD-R media. (Could the drive on these units not be replaced with a compatible replacement drive - I imagine that if these are repaired, a compatible part would be available, it might resolve that?)

I think technically the ultimate NUON player technically is the Samsung N504. The Samsung N504 (like the Samsung N505, but not the Samsung N501, and released only in Switzerland and hunted down by NUON fans all over Europe) has the faster Aries 3 chip in it, more VLM patterns, controller ports (very sadly missing on the N505), and the extra VLM control features through the joystick Jeff added for Europe. It is also apparently region free, although I cannot verify that. I think the N505 is identical in features to the N504, with the exception of no joystick ports.

If I wanted another NUON' date=' I would totally go for the N501 again. [/quote']

I'd certainly like an N501 for game development purposes, because the Samsung infra-red controller is incredibly fussy about the angle at which the control is aimed at the DVD player. In fact, it seems to be about 5%... no chance of the controls being hijacked by another person in the room with a universal remote control! This fussy remote compatibility means it's a pain to play with even Ballistic.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

I think it's (the N501) not got the highest resolution VLM though of the USA ones has it' date=' wasn't that the Samsung N2000? However, the Samsung N501 has many more patterns? Isn't there a table about it on your NUON-Dome Kev?[/quote']

Yep, right here: http://www.nuon-dome.com/compare.html

N501 has a lower res VLM, but more effects & improved beat detection.

Yep' date=' right here:http://www.nuon-dome.com/compare.html[/quote']

Any chance of updating that with the N504 and N505, and Korean one?

Samsung N504/N505

Pack-In

Game - None

Controller - None

Features

CDR Support - Yes

MP3 Playback - Yes

3D User Interface - Yes (Smartmatrix)

Dolby Digital Decoder - No

Zoom - Yes, x15 (MediaMacro)

Smooth scan/playback - Yes (Finemotion)

HDCD - Yes

Spatializer N-2-2 - Yes

Joy Shuttle Wheel - Yes

Headphone Socket - Yes (on front panel with volume knob)

Custom Screen Saver - No

Controller Ports - Yes/No (Yes on N504, no on N505)

Chipset - NUON (fastest ever "Aries-3") media processor

Outputs

S-Video - Yes

SCART (Peritel) Socket - Yes

Composite - Yes (via SCART socket)

Component (RGB) - Yes (via SCART socket)

Optical Digital - Yes

Coaxial Digital - Yes

Stereo Audio Out - Yes

VLM

Effects - 152 (plus improved beat detection & joypad controls)

Resolution - 360x240 (?)

Interactive? - Yes

A hack to add controller ports to N505 does exist!

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Yep' date=' right here:http://www.nuon-dome.com/compare.html[/quote']

Any chance of updating that with the N504 and N505' date=' and Korean one?

[b']Samsung N504/N505[/b]

Pack-In

Game - None

Controller - None

Features

CDR Support - Yes

MP3 Playback - Yes

3D User Interface - Yes (Smartmatrix)

Dolby Digital Decoder - No

Zoom - Yes, x15 (MediaMacro)

Smooth scan/playback - Yes (Finemotion)

HDCD - Yes

Spatializer N-2-2 - Yes

Joy Shuttle Wheel - Yes

Headphone Socket - Yes (on front panel with volume knob)

Custom Screen Saver - No

Controller Ports - Yes/No (Yes on N504, no on N505)

Chipset - NUON (fastest ever "Aries-3") media processor

Outputs

S-Video - Yes

SCART (Peritel) Socket - Yes

Composite - Yes (via SCART socket)

Component (RGB) - Yes (via SCART socket)

Optical Digital - Yes

Coaxial Digital - Yes

Stereo Audio Out - Yes

VLM

Effects - 152 (plus improved beat detection & joypad controls)

Resolution - 360x240 (?)

Interactive? - Yes

A hack to add controller ports to N505 does exist!

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Cool, thanks for that. I never added the others because I wasn't 100% sure of the details. I'll have to do an update now :)

-Kevin

• 4 weeks later...
I have only the Jaguar, right now, but I have always intended, and still do, to get a NUON. When it first came out I wanted one for IS3, T3K, Freefall, VLM and becuase I hadn't yet upgraded to DVD. I've since bought a DVD player, but only a cheap $50 one becuase I still intend to get a NUON for the other stuff above. I too, would consider it a spiritial successor to the Jag, only becuase of the Jaguar Sequels on it(including the VLM). Freefall just sounds SOOO cool and unique, I MUST have this game! I would have had it by now if more games had come out for it.

So, What is the best version I should be looking for, and is it still possible to get IS3?  

To Adrian M.-The VLM rocks! I also, never play music cd's in anything but my Jaguar anymore, I have it all hooked up to my surround sound and with a big TV or projection screen it's awsome! it's cool to relax too, or to leave running at parties etc. and basicall can turn your place into a dance club if you have the room, the soundsystem and VLM on the wall playing, too cool! I'd love to get the VLM 2 for this same purpose, to enjoy it's faster&higher res graphics, and to give my aging Jagcd a restbit.

HA! I caught this thread just before it slipped off the first page...

Well, I am now the proud owner of a NUON! I bought the Toshiba SD-2300 for $75 without a box (and a remote as it turns out) after bidding on several Samsung 501 auctions that went as high as original retail price! Besides, even if the Toshiba has a cut-down version of the VLM, I've read quite a few bad reviews on the Samsung not reading DVDs. I'm happy to say that my SD-2300 works fine. I've tried cd's with the VLM as well as DVD's. Unfortunately it did not come with a remote (luckily I have another Toshiba DVD player which the remotes works fine for the NUON), but so far, it seems the only function that won't work with the other remote is the ZOOM. Also only a 4-way pad instead of 8 (which I think is why zoom doesn't work). But I'm happy; I have a controller and Merlin Racing&Freefall all on the way!

Congrats, Gunstar! You'll enjoy Merlin Racing and FreeFall 3050! Well, you'll enjoy MR and get really frustrated with FF 3050. In fact, you'll get really pissed off while playing FF 3050. But still, before you black out from your blood pressure spiraling out of control, you'll have fun. Really! :cool:

Congrats, Gunstar! You'll enjoy Merlin Racing and FreeFall 3050! Well, you'll enjoy MR and get really frustrated with FF 3050. In fact, you'll get really pissed off while playing FF 3050. But still, before you black out from your blood pressure spiraling out of control, you'll have fun. Really!  :cool:

FreeFall was the game that has always intrigued me the most on the NUON, it's original sounding, exclusive, and the screen shots looked cool, it sounds like a very fun game. So, what's frustrating about it? Poor controls? high difficulty? Something else?

Also I remember reading that certain controllers disn't work with certain models? Which were these? I bought an HPI "Warrior" that is on the way. I didn't think about it until too late. ( I have the Toshiba SD-2300)

All controllers will work on all NUONs, no worries.

FreeFall has a pretty complex control scheme, and a high difficulty level. I recommend taking the time to go through the tutorials before "diving" right into the game. You can also make use of the Level Select Cheat to practice the tougher areas of the game without having to do an entire mission over every time.