IGNORED

Those Buried ET and Pac-Man Carts

Atari Charles

And even if you managed to hit a correct spot, it would be a bitch trying to insert the game into the console.

The fact is the many companies scrap out product that is unsellable (rendering it unusable at the same time). The only reason that it was so much at one time is because Atari's profit margins were dropping like a rock...and needed to eliminate a large portion of overhead pronto.

Some have the opinion that they were sold off to be reborn as Beagle Bros. carts. If that were the case, don't you think that one with a partial-ET sticker would have turned up by now?? Those paper labels don't come off so good.

I was thinking about this just before I saw it as a forum thread. Sure we'd need permission to dig if they're not buried in cement but I was just thinking of all those carts and EPROM's we could be using...

If the story is true' date=' everything was crushed:

http://www.snopes.com/business/market/atari.asp

I tend to believe Howard Scott Warshaw when he says that if such a thing was happening, he'd have heard it on the grape vine (and been there to get his picture taken on top of the pile). I would want to dig up that NY Times article and see who wrote it and what else he had written. Anyway, I've known Howard for 30 some odd years and he tends to be frighteningly right most of the time :roll:

...The only reason that it was so much at one time is because Atari's profit margins were dropping like a rock...and needed to eliminate a large portion of overhead pronto...

Destroying inventory wouldn't reduce overhead, nor would it increase profit margins...though it might have decreased the embarassment factor of a flagship new title selling for peanuts!