IGNORED

The Perfect Jaguar Mascot

CrazyChris

Jex... the... Alligator...?!...?

What?

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/game-box-art-covers/Panasonic/3DO/Gex%20%282%29.jpg

My souvenirs were fuzy: in fact this is GEX the lizard

It was a game for 3DO and used for some 3DO advertisements: this is what it became the 3DO mascott

Was there other screen concept shots? Who were the adversaries? What was the objective of the game? Was Sam trying to get Jaguars to as many stores for selling?

This is reminding me more and more of Journey Escape. :D

It was basically just the idea that you take control of Sam as head of Atari Corp, who is ordered by his father to become the no.1 in the video game industry.

So you would have a simplistic management game serving as a hub, where you decide what to do next and see your income. Each task would lead to another kind of mini game. I only did a mock-up for this one, being a platformer where Sam indeed has to try to get the Jaguars into stores. ;) Professional distribution would be expensive after all, and a Tramiel doesn't like that word!

I didn't get too far thinking of the other games. One I would have liked to be a puzzle game assembling hardware, kind of like Tetris with electronic parts that fall down randomly, and you having to place them like in an example picture.

Something similar for designing a new game system would have been nice too, with some internal random generator developing the competitions hardware and deciding on the winner in several aspects such as price, power, advertising etc... like the card game top trumps!

You would have won had you either reached a certain score ($$$) or driven your competitors out of business, not sure.

I had this in mind as a Lynx game, but matashen had just done Lynxopoly and found the intertwining gameplay concepts too complex for his knowledge of the Lynx at that time. Could of course be on Jaguar as well.

Wait... why is he rushing towards those bins holding that... oh no, god no!

Damn... all these years I never saw this. It must have been an unconscious move by me to design it that way. A game of choice!

Die a hero and discard the dreaded, fume-exhaling torture device, or sell your soul and live in wealth, dooming the rest of mankind to play Trevor McFurr, FFL etc!

• Like 3

Wait... why is he rushing towards those bins holding that... oh no, god no!

He's dumping the Jaguar off while running over to Steve Kipker - former owner of STeve's Computers in Woodland CA - to ask him if he would sell a Sony Playstation for wholesale price to one of his buddies as Sam did [according to Steve] in real life.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 2

It was basically just the idea that you take control of Sam as head of Atari Corp, who is ordered by his father to become the no.1 in the video game industry.

Jack didn't like video games or the video game industry. Sam liked video games. Sam seemed to be attempting to remake Atari Corp into Atari Inc during the Jaguar run…hence him trying to hire back a lot of former 2600 coders. But the Jaguar failed for various reasons - including dirty tricks on Sony's and Nintendo's parts - and then Sam has his heart attack leading Jack to swoop in, dismantle everything and do the reverse merger with that shlock hard drive company. The rest is history.

Jack had absolutely no love for the Atari Inc mythos. I think Sam in a sense was like Steve Ballmer's kids*, wanting to play for the cooler team.

*Ballmer's kids famously wanted iPods and he forced them to have Zunes instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone notice this thread was revived after ELEVEN YEARS?

Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:04 AM

:

:

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:46 PM

Personally, I'm waiting for the movie adaptation of this thread:

"A Good Day For Thread To Die Hard"

So I refuse to read anything here because I don't want

to spoil the ending.

Edited by JagCD

Jag CD should blow me first.

You know, could be dust, we want a good connection.

And hope its not that time of month, red screen of death.

We just need to push the right buttons.

I'd bet you'll still give me the roar sound -- even when you red screened me.

Just because of the tease that you are.