IGNORED

Tank Plus Picture Label

Tempest

This has to be one of the coolest things I've seen in awhile, it makes me want to get out there and finish off my Sears collection (I'm missing about 14 serial number and label variations).

So who else here is a Sears collector? I know most people pass on them, but personally I find them fascinating (especially the picture labels). Anyone know if the different pictures were just alternative art work that Atari decided not to use or if they hired another artist to draw a new picture? Why did they use different pictures on some games and not others?

Tempest

I am a definate sears collector. Tempest, I think I even remember growling at you at the Philly Classic for picking up some picture label Sears game I'd missed.

I've finally gotten at least one variation of every sears game. But I'm still working on filling in my missing labels. There's a ton out there I still need.

Later,

Joel D. Park

Yep, I remember that. I snatched up a Race picture label right before you did. Finders keepers....

Seriously though, that was one reason I liked the Philly Classic better than the CGE, there were just boxes of crap to dig though. You never knew what you were going to come up with (Combat, Combat, Space Invaders, Miner II!)

I still need a few Sears carts to complete my collection (at least the ones I know of):

Text Labels

--------------

Baseball 6-99819 (White), 49-75108

Chase 49-75105

Gunslinger 49-75109 (Green)

Pac-Man 49-75185 (M: Orange E: Yellow)

Poker Plus 6-99816 (Green, Yellow)

Pong Sports 6-99806 (With/Without Slanted S), 49-75104

Slots 6-99823

Speedway II 99804

Tank Plus 6-99801 (Red Slanted S), 49-75124 (Yellow, Gold)

Warlords 49-75127 (© in white letters)

Picture Labels

------------------

Adventure

Baseball

Basketball

Blackjack (49-75181)

Canyon Bomber

Dodger Cars

Night Driver

Poker Plus

Pong Sports

Tank Plus

Warlords

Now this brings up an intersting question, on my label variations list there were two entries for Sears BlackJack picture label, both had different serial numbers (49-xxxxx). Are there two different 49 numbers for Sears Blackjack or was it just a typo?

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

So who else here is a Sears collector? I know most people pass on them, but personally I find them fascinating (especially the picture labels).

I am an avid Sears collector as well. Here are the Sears carts I need:

3D Tic-Tac-Toe (Picture)

Cannon Man (Text)

Capture (Text)

Video Chess (Text)

Codebreaker (Text)

Othello (Text)

I believe the last five titles above only exist in Text form. I have a 3D Tic-Tac-Toe Text variation. So if anyone has these titles and would like to trade/sell them to me, I'd love to talk to you.

..Al

quote:

Now this brings up an intersting question, on my label variations list there were two entries for Sears BlackJack picture label, both had different serial numbers (49-xxxxx). Are there two different 49 numbers for Sears Blackjack or was it just a typo?

I believe it is a typo. I've never seen a 49-75181 BlackJack. I have seen a 49-75181 Video Chess and a 49-75602 BlackJack.

But again, this is just my experience. I did at one time pay a great deal of attention to Sears label variations, though.

Tempest-

Maybe can help you out with a few of those Sears variations you are looking for...

Here's what I have:

Poker Plus 49-75151 Picture Label

Basketball 49-75113 Picture Label

Tank-Plus 99801 Text label w/ red slanted "s" (please note this serial number is "99801" and not "6-99801")

Speedway II 99804 Text Label

Pong Sports 6-99806 Text Label w/ yellow plain "s"

If you are interested in any of these, please email me at slindberg@visi.com

quote:

Does 3D Tic-Tac-Toe exist as a picture label? I did not know that.

I beileve there's a Sears Othello up for auction on ebay right now if your interested. I may have an extra Capture floating around, I'll check tonight.

Whoops, I think I screwed up on that 3D Tic-Tac-Toe. I already have the Text variation, but it was in my Want list also so I typed it up as needing the Picture version.

You're right, there is a boxed Sears Othello on eBay right now, I may have to keep tabs on it. I haven't been scouting eBay recently, just too busy with many other things. Which is probably a good thing, as eBay binges tend to be expensive. If you have a Capture that'd be great! I have several Sears carts missing from your collection, so I'm sure we can come to some kind of trade..

..Al

Strangely, the Sears games are hard to find here... or at least, I haven't seen any at all yet. Of course, my collection may not be as impressive as some of the ones here, I still think it's strange that I haven't seen any of these yet. Did Sears not sell these things in Canada?

Oh well... I'd rather have the Zellers games anyways

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by RangerG:

Also, do you draw the line on label quality when you purchase? By the way, at the flea market today I found Miner 2049er and JawBreaker. Both are by Tigervision and both are near mint shape (but they were in box with all kinds of old dirty Atari carts). That's a good find for me so I'm happy.

Damn! That's a pretty good find! I try to draw the line at torn labels... if a whole chunk of the label is missing, I don't want it. Of course, if I found Chase the Chuckwagon, I'd probably buy it anyways regardless of the label. Hell, I had to prevent myself from buying a copy of Home Run because it didn't have an end label (I don't have the game yet, and it was only $1).

I still don't understand why people would tear the label off! Am I the only one who isn't destructive with their cartridges?

--Zero

You know some labels look better missing . i had one cart i couldnt stand the label fell off i lost it and just had the end label and even though the game wasnt that great i enjoyed it more. but yea missing end label is my cut off point ( unless its a Crazy Climber missing endlabel for .80 , then i must go and get it.) Anything over a 8 or 9 i will get at any rate just to have a copy. but what do you do when you loose labels and then sell the cart and you find the labels. ( So you have Lables only) do you keep em sell em or trashem?

Just this very afternoon I found a Speedway II 49-75103 at a flea market, but can't find it in the rarity guide. Is this a common cart or did I find something special here?

I also found a Missile Command with a 1982 copyright and the only thing I can find in the guide is a 1981 copyright. Now I KNOW this isn't anything special but I'm kinda curious why it isn't in the guide.

I also collect sears and other "major" variations. I don't know who, but somebody said if a non-collector can tell the difference from a distance then it is worth collecting (that's where I draw my line). But, I think it is great you divide up into # variations (it might drive me mad). Here is my question: How do you remember what you need? When you are at a flea market do you bring a list with you or do you just buy what looks good and sort through it all at home. If I bring a list, it makes people suspicious that I am finding something really rare when I probably just want to check if I have that color Space Invaders. If I just buy and sort at home, I end up with lots of duplicates. What do you do with all the duplicates? Just want to know? Also, do you draw the line on label quality when you purchase? By the way, at the flea market today I found Miner 2049er and JawBreaker. Both are by Tigervision and both are near mint shape (but they were in box with all kinds of old dirty Atari carts). That's a good find for me so I'm happy. Take care -- RG

I contributed this scan to Atari Age, so I thought I'd throw in some background info.

I got the Tank-Plus pic label in a bunch of one-sheet labels I bought off eBay some time ago. The guy who sold them said he had several labels and had cut up the onesheets to sell them in mixed lots. The lot I bought included other never-stuck labels like Pitfall!, Chopper Command, SwordQuest Earthworld, etc. Nothing besides Tank-Plus looks unusual.

The labels seem authentic; they're the correct size, thickness, etc. The scan I sent in hasn't been altered in any way.

I didn't realize I might have an "unknown" label until I checked the Label Variations FAQ a couple weeks ago and didn't see it listed. Unfortunately, I lost the seller's address when I changed e-mail addresses, if I hadn't I'd ask him if he had anything else unusual. If you notice someone selling unstuck 2600 labels on eBay, that's probably him.

- William

The Odyssey2 Homepage! http://www.classicgaming.com/o2home/

quote:

Originally posted by Malathion5:

Just this very afternoon I found a Speedway II 49-75103 at a flea market, but can't find it in the rarity guide. Is this a common cart or did I find something special here?

I also found a Missile Command with a 1982 copyright and the only thing I can find in the guide is a 1981 copyright. Now I KNOW this isn't anything special but I'm kinda curious why it isn't in the guide.

We do have the Sears cart online, but the model number is incorrectly entered. Here's a picture of the cart:

Sears Speedway II - 49-75103

I'll update the database today with the correct model number for that entry. Is this what your cart looks like?

As for Missile Command, we haven't yet gone gung-ho about putting every minor label variation into the database. There are tons of labels that differ only in the copyright year. Perhaps someday we'll get all of those entered and have the database automatically filter out those "minor" label variations by default.

..Al

• 2 years later...
This has to be one of the coolest things I've seen in awhile, it makes me want to get out there and finish off my Sears collection (I'm missing about 14 serial number and label variations).  

So who else here is a Sears collector?  I know most people pass on them, but personally I find them fascinating (especially the picture labels).  Anyone know if the different pictures were just alternative art work that Atari decided not to use or if they hired another artist to draw a new picture?  Why did they use different pictures on some games and not others?

Tempest

:x

You mean there's a Tank Plus pic label too? Every time I pick up a Sears cart (I just won a Pong Sports Pic label) another one pops up that I have to find.

Yeah, I'm a big Sears collector. I've got 5 of the gatefolds now, and about twenty CIB total. Guess I'm back up to six now in terms of label variations I need. I also want a new Baseball pic label since the label on mine is pretty messed up.

--Jason

Every time I pick up a Sears cart (I just won a Pong Sports Pic label) another one pops up that I have to find.

Yeah I feel the same way some times. The hardest to find Sears pic labels are:

Pong Sports

Canyon Bomber

Baseball

Superman

Tank Plus

These are the ones most people are missng and thus assume don't exist. There may also be a Sears picture label Backgammon, but I haven't been able to get any confromation on that.

Tempest

Every time I pick up a Sears cart (I just won a Pong Sports Pic label) another one pops up that I have to find.

Yeah I feel the same way some times. The hardest to find Sears pic labels are:

Pong Sports

Canyon Bomber

Baseball

Superman

Tank Plus

These are the ones most people are missng and thus assume don't exist. There may also be a Sears picture label Backgammon, but I haven't been able to get any confromation on that.

Tempest

Wow, I got the Canyon Bomber pic label very soon after I started collecting in '99. If I remember correctly, it was only a 3 or 4 on the older 2600Nexus list, so I didn't think much of it. It's in very good shape too.

Never heard of a Backgammon pic label. :ponder:

--Jason