IGNORED

My local pawn shop experience.......

PatrickDBowlingo

I went to a pawn shop about 25 miles south of my home yesterday looking for some Atari games. This pawn shop carries quite a bit of older systems including Atari, Genesis, NES, SNES and Saturn.

The first thing I noticed was a sign that said they were going out of business. ARGH! Everything was 50% off of the sticker price though so it wasn't all bad....until I looked at the prices.

I found an Atari 2600 with everything except for the power adapter which had a sticker price of $9.95. I figured I could get him down a few bucks considering there was no power adapter included. Nope, he said "We usually sell Atari joysticks for $5 so I'm not lowering the prices any". I just thought to myself "yeah, thats why you have a box full of Atari joysticks sitting here".

I snickered and said "That's why you are going out of business" and walked away.

Here are some examples of the crazy prices:

3DO system - $59.99

Sega Saturn system - $59.99

Sega CD - $59.99

Super NES - $39.99

Sega Genesis - $39.99

NES games - $5.99

SNES games - $9.99

Sega Saturn games - $19.99

Oh well.

Yep, that's why they are going out of business. I bet they sell used CD's for $13.95.

I've pretty much steered clear of the Pawn shops. Do they usually have stuff? The only time I went to a pawn shop, all they had were some old NES and N64's and one Jaguar. The guy said they didn't handle 2600 stuff and was surprised that he had the Jag. That put me off pawn shops.

our pawns are the worst.. 12 bucks for madden 94 on super nintendo?? at least they have all cds 2 dollars.. if you are a bad person and the store dosent have cameras you can slip a psx game in a music cd case and thewy wont ever know.,. but ez pawn has cameras and i dont own a psx so i wouldnt know

well... i have something to say, finally my 'contact' in the thirft got me something. a nice black atari, with two controllers, the original atari power supply, and, oh yes... a black case I couldn't be more happy , the price? $4.71 with tax

OsBo

not all pawn shops are that bad. yeah, sure most are, but a friend of mine runs one. at at his shop, ps1 games are $5, ps2 games $15, nes $1, atari 2600/7800 $.50, dreamcast $13, and N64 $10.

i know they are the exception. i just wanted you to know some aren't bad.

quote:

Originally posted by PatrickDBowlingo:

NES games - $5.99

SNES games - $9.99

That's not so bad... around here, it's pretty uncommon to find NES/SNES games for any cheaper than that (Though I still feel ripped off paying more than $5 for an old NES game).

The pawn shops around here don't carry anything older than Genesis, and I think they're going to stop carrying Genesis stuff soon. The main one that I go to keeps most of their Genesis, SNES, and a few NES games in a big box out in the open... I have a feeling once stuff in there is gone, they won't bother buying any new stuff for it.

Pretty much all I find in pawn shops anymore is N64 stuff, and some Playstation stuff... but I'm actually looking to buy an N64 some day soon, so this is good news for me

--Zero