IGNORED

Private eye review

woodyi76

I Just got this game on ebay along with about 3 other games one of the other games was minor 2049er which is very overaded by the way. Spiderdriod which is a Amidar ripof and rock n' rope which is very average like all coleco games. I saw the review on the gamecridict 2600 page. He gave the game a D+ not only is way wrong on that game but all the other games too. This is a very cool game which uses a combination of skill and thought. I solved cases 1 and 2 but can't figure out the 3rd. This game is more of an A- or B+. I also would like to know how cosmic commputer is before i get it.

• Like 1

WOW! I never have been able to beat level 2! There's not enough time! I have beat 1,3,4, but NEVER have made any progress on 5.

The map they give in the instructions is really confusing. I'm going to make a better one, unless someone knows of an existing better map. I love reading the instructions, though. Very well done! Private Eye is an A- for me!

Stan, PI

• 8 months later...

Private Eye is a great game that seems to get overlooked. And yes, the map makes no sense. After I solved case 1, I went back and looked at it to try and trace where I went. Impossible. I'm still confused by it.

If any one can solve case 5, damn, you are good. I give the game an A.

As for Cosmic Commuter? I give it a C. Nothing really stands out that is wrong with it, I just don't have any fun playing it. Also, the first place I played it was the poorly emulated Activisition Action pack 3, so that might have soured my judgement.

Now that I think about it, I first played Private Eye on action pack 3. Oh never mind.

to update, I have solved all 5 cases, YES ALL 5!!! And have compeletly mapped the ENTIRE game. Someday when the new Atarinvader site is up, these maps will be available to all.

If you would like an advance copy of a map for a certain case, drop me an e-mail. The maps are EXCEL documents, FYI.

• Thanks 1

• 19 years later...

It's a great adventure game, regardless of the fact that you're driving a car. It's easy to get lost in the higher game variations, which is pretty cool.

This is therefore not a game that should involve a time limit, in my opinion. It's highly conducive to exploring and taking your time, rather than memorizing a long sequence of direction changes so you can merely "connect the dots" before the time runs out.

To that effect, in 2010, Nukey Shay kindly hacked the game to render infinite time. Now it's fun. :)

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/169552-and-the-worst-activisions-games-are/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-2097414

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BassGuitari said:

This thread is older than Private Eye was when this thread was created.

I need to lie down.

My favorite "old" fact is to say Star Trek the Next Generation is way older than the original series was when TNG came out.  (67 vs 87)

But in relation to the topic, I found this doc that I saved years ago, not a map, but maybe it is helpful.  I've never tried it.  Pretty sure I got it here, it's dated 2009.

PrivateEyeMaps.xlsx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1