IGNORED

Almost got a 2600 Meltdown prototype for $1

joesmooth

Well I for one would love to see Penn & Teller get released. I thought Good Deal Games was working on getting the rights?

I believe the problem has nothing to with rights and more to do with the missing instructions. Certain points in the game are unplayable unless you hit buttons in a certain order and no one knows which ones they need to hit because the instructions are missing. But I could be wrong.

I believe the problem has nothing to with rights and more to do with the missing instructions. Certain points in the game are unplayable unless you hit buttons in a certain order and no one knows which ones they need to hit because the instructions are missing. But I could be wrong.

Yes I do remember hearing something about this. I believe they had several volunteers trying to figure out each of the game segments. If the game was sent out to reviewers you'd think that there would be a copy of the instructions out there somewhere.

Tempest

)

So what is the deal with z26 not displaying the circles on the right hand side correctly? (they show up as ovals for some reason, but it runs fine on the cc2)

installed :)

I Was having a look at the latest update at Atariprotos.com (great site, love those proto PCBs pictures BTW :D ) and it brought me to this topic.

I wonder if this is a side effect of a programming mistake (?)

that causes the narrowing of the sprites. I'm very currious to check this out. Is it possible to the binary somewhere ?

I wonder if this is a side effect of a programming mistake <A HREF ="http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55222">(?)</A>

that causes the narrowing of the sprites. I'm very currious to check this out. Is it possible to the binary somewhere ?

Nope, it's a little emulator flaw. The trick they use in Meltdown (two wide copies, combined with double size) isn't used in any other game, so it isn't implemented in any emulator correctly.

But I expect they next update(s) to fix this, :)

Nope, it's a little emulator flaw. The trick they use in Meltdown (two wide copies, combined with double size) isn't used in any other game, so it isn't implemented in any emulator correctly.  

But I expect they next update(s) to fix this, :)

A new trick :) Did you look into it already ? (knowing your curiosity :D )

A new trick  :)  Did you look into it already ? (knowing your curiosity :D )

Yup, it's new, though someone at [stella] had independently discovered it a few month ago too.

Basically it works like this:

Enable double size and just before the second copy would be drawn, switch for a short moment to two copies wide and immediately back to double size. Voila, both copies are drawn with double size. :)

The emulators just miss the the double size for the 2nd copy.

A new trick  :)  Did you look into it already ? (knowing your curiosity :D )

Yup, it's new, though someone at [stella] had independently discovered it a few month ago too.

Basically it works like this:

Enable double size and just before the second copy would be drawn, switch for a short moment to two copies wide and immediately back to double size. Voila, both copies are drawn with double size. :)

The emulators just miss the the double size for the 2nd copy.

I get the picture. will search [stella] for it too. I really need some sort of devcart to start testing stuff on real the hardware soon.

How soon is "Soon!"??? icon_smile.gif

Uhh... Soon? My surgeon is currently a bit busy with other things.

(Me with Penn, last week in Vegas)

You lucky bastard. Everytime I went to Vegas I wanted to see Penn and Teller but I got busy.

Tempest

You lucky bastard.  Everytime I went to Vegas I wanted to see Penn and Teller but I got busy.Tempest

Mike Thomasson got tickets to see them during CGE2K1. He invited me and Chris Cavanaugh to join him. Here's a photo of me and Mike with Penn (8/11/01)

http://www.rolentapress.com/rolenta/celebr...n%20jillett.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Any word on the prototype? I'm excited about if it has been revived or not.

Sorry nothing yet. Last word was that they were waiting for the high powered magnifiaction lenses to arrive. The person who is helping me do this is also extremely busy, so even once the lenses get there it might take some time.

I promise I'll let everyone know the details as soon as I find something out.

Tempest

Just don't over rush it. When someone is very busy, it is easy to make mistakes. And a mistake with this would mean everything is lost forever.

So just take your time to do this thing right.

Yeah something this delicate is harder than rescuing an endangered species

so I wait with baited breath quite easily. :)

It's funny, the high powered magnifier, the delicate operation. This all reminds me of a program I saw on pbs today where some mathemeticians, scientists and linguists were all working together to preserve and restore an ancient achimedes text that was recently discovered. Really amazing stuff, how they could get at the original writing that was beneath layers of wax, other writing that was written on top of it and even some forged artwork that was drawn over the writing in someone's lame attempt to 'add value' to the document (since the people in the 20's had no idea what they had.)

• 1 month later...
Hmmmm  

I know Tempest will let us know the outcome...  

But "soon" is seeming like a long time.  

Little patience people...

We had to order the lens from another place as the first place never got them back in stock. Hopefully we'll get them soon.

The prototype is definitely different than the one that's out there. We've looked over the half of the code we were able to retrieve. I'll know more when we get it dumped.

Tempest

Whoaaaaaa ... this is the first time I've seen Atari 2600 history really come alive. I read this entire thread from beginning to now and it's truely amazing. This whole thing reminds me of the storyline of a book. The shopkeeper, the people in LV, the surgery, the DP ROM ... heh. That's fun. I really hope that you get this literally one-of-a-kind item fixed!! Take as much time as you need to. Don't be rushed by our impatience. If your doctor has a bad feeling about the surgery when it really starts to happen, sleep on it and do it the next day. Really. Take your time. I am very excited about this!

BEST OF LUCK!!

• 3 months later...