IGNORED

Can I use a pal system with ntsc carts.

irata_99

I'm a 7800 newbie too, but apparently not - while you can get away with NTSC 2600 games (albeit in wonky colours), 7800's are a completely different kettle of fish and NTSC games won't work at all.

So we're stuck with PAL, which aint so bad.

I have a PAL Atari 7800 and most of my games are PAL. But I have one game Tower Toppler as NTSC. The titlescreen look good, and I can play, but I can't see anything. The graphic has so many errors and look so bad that you not see where you are.

I have later found this game as PAL version and this work great. So I think some (or most) NTSC games won't work on a PAL console.

Depends what you mean by "not work". Some refuse full stop (Robotron, Winter Games), some have huge graphical glitches (Ninja Golf, Touchdown Football) and some have minor graphics stuff-ups and are still playable (Ms Pacman, Water Ski).

Generally I have the PAL version unless it isn't available...

Well, thank you all. So I will look for pal versions...

Anyway is there a difference in boxing, labels or game number to find out wheter a game is for ntsc or for pal. When I look at ebay auctions it´s often not clear which format the carts are and sellers of the games can´t tell or test it so it would be great if there was anything I could ask to not spend money for a random character screen generator.

What about ntsc-units in europe with 220V-adapters. Is this a good solution or does it require anything special (RGB-outpt, special TV,..)?

quote:

Originally posted by irata_99:

Anyway is there a difference in boxing, labels or game number to find out wheter a game is for ntsc or for pal.

One way to tell is by looking at the cart. 7800 PAL carts have a sticker on the underside with a "P". It is a small black sticker with the white letter.

On ebay it is probably a good idea to see where the seller is. If you are buying 7800 carts from US sellers, there is a very strong chance that the game is NTSC. On the other hand, if you are buying from a seller in Australia, it is most likely PAL.

Keep in mind that there are a few games that are available in NTSC only. (Robotron, Water Ski, etc).

Other than testing, I am not aware of a sure way to tell. As far as I know, there are no label or box variations for PAL or NTSC games.

Tizoc - Keep in mind that there are a few games that are available in NTSC only. (Robotron, Water Ski, etc).

Ive heard from a big UK collector that Robotron is available in PAL. He said he got it from a guy in Germany. It could have been the NTSC version but the cart worked for him without problems on his PAL machine.

I asked the question does it really exist on PAL before on this board and Mitch, the 7800 guy said that he had been told it had but up until now had not seen any hard evidence.

I live in hope......

Adam

I've NTSC Centipede and it works on my PAL 7800. There are only some random pixels in the bottom of the screen and the playfield is at the top of the screen. This because PAL displays more lines than NTSC.

Can someone make a list a NTSC games stating if they work or not work on PAL?

If someone sends me all NTSC games, I will make the list ;-)

Robert

Well here's a start for you... based on my NTSC encounters so far:

Ninja Golf - yes but graphics totally useless

Touchdown Football - as above

Midnight Mutants - crashes immediately

Summer/Winter Games - crashes immediately

Robotron - crashes on title screen

Ms Pacman - glitches at bottom, works

Water Ski - graphics wrap slightly but playable

The Hi-Score cart from Curt Wendel doesn't work at all sadly...