IGNORED

The Story of Mythicon.. How cool is this.

Joel D. Park

Even if the games did suck, the story is cool. Hearing that he had no TIA documentation to work from easily explains why the games were so crappy. This even beats out the "US Games re-uses Space Jockey as a 2600 subroutine library" story.

The games sucked, but they sucked so badly as to be memorable in their suckage. It's one thing to suck, but it's another thing entirely to suck so much you become famous for it.

I presume he is aware by now that he's got the easy road to a VIP guest pass at just about any classic games convention, right? :-)

Even if the games did suck, the story is cool.  Hearing that he had no TIA documentation to work from easily explains why the games were so crappy.  This even beats out the "US Games re-uses Space Jockey as a 2600 subroutine library" story.

The games sucked, but they sucked so badly as to be memorable in their suckage.  It's one thing to suck, but it's another thing entirely to suck so much you become famous for it.

I presume he is aware by now that he's got the easy road to a VIP guest pass at just about any classic games convention, right?  :-)

So what you're saying is that they are the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked?! :D

So, am I the only human being who derived enjoyment from the mythicon games?

It's hard to say. In this day in age, with the entire 2600 library available, they are absolutely terrible. I bearly gave them a five minute 'test drive' before turning the 2600 off in boredom.

However if I had bought them back in the day and only had a few other 2600 games to compare them to, I probably wouldn't think they were that bad.

Tempest

I played Firefly and Sorcerer, and I had lots of "great" games to chose from. I used to play the Mythicon stuff a lot. I think partly because they were so bizarre, meaning I didn't really understand the concept. No score, no levels..what the heck was the point.

I guess all that time I was searching for something that wasn't there. Still, I really dig the Sorcerer tune to this day.

A friend of mine had Dorcerer and I used to play his copy on occasion. He absolutely loved it, as he was a D&D fan and couldn't afford much better than a Gemini and a couple of Mythicon carts. He also has Starfox but we didn't care for it. The creative graphics of Sorcerer made it the most interesting title.

I only saw these sold in discount stoors like Woolco's.

The creative graphics of Sorcerer made it the most interesting title.

I personally think it's the music that makes it the better game. I don't remember what the other games' music is like, but the Sorcerer tune is one of my favorites on the system. Only Pitfall II and a few homebrews surpass it.

I got another reply to some questions from Bruce.. Here's what he says.

------------------------------------------------

I SAID

Bruce, you're becoming quite popular on the Atari site..

If you want to check out the comments on you go to www.AtariAge.com

There is a forum where mythicon is being discussed.

Folks are wondering what you are doing now..

Also here are some things folks have said.

"

I played Firefly and Sorcerer, and I had lots of "great" games to chose

from. I used to play the Mythicon stuff a lot. I think partly because they

were so bizarre, meaning I didn't really understand the concept. No score,

no levels..what the heck was the point.

I guess all that time I was searching for something that wasn't there.

Still, I really dig the Sorcerer tune to this day.

"

HE REPLIED

Heavy embarrassment! I feel like Ed Woods (maker of the worst film ever- Plan 9

from Outer Space). A movie was made about him- he

was portrayed as a bit of a nut case. I think I'll stay hidden.

Confession: I have not written a single game since Mythicon. No trauma- just got

tired of that kind of coding (although I DO still

like the 6500 architecture).

See if you can track down a guy named Chris Crawford. Super guy. He'll have alot of good stories.

Heavy embarrassment! I feel like Ed Woods (maker of the worst film ever- Plan 9 from Outer Space). A movie was made about him- he  

was portrayed as a bit of a nut case. I think I'll stay hidden.

He clearly doesn't know tha AA crowd if he thinks we have to be told who Ed Wood is. And what's wrong with being the Ed Wood of video games?

Maybe he just realized that for the rest of his life he'll be getting a monthly "Have you found Starfox 2 yet?"

See if you can track down a guy named Chris Crawford. Super guy. He'll have alot of good stories.

We've been waiting for him to explain what he was smoking when he created Wizard for years.