IGNORED

What's the best 2600 game graphically?

King Atari

If you're not including the enhanced supercharger games...My vote goes to Pitfall 2. I can remember getting that for my birthday when it first came out. When I realized you could swim my eye's widened. When I fell over the waterfall..My jaw dropped.. I really thought that game was something else. And to be honest it still holds up today as one of the funnest, prettiest Atari 2600 games ever.... I think.

The best thing about Pitfall II's graphics was how smooth everything looked. The mix of colors really made it stick out.

Solaris was awesome when it came out. It was the coolest looking space game I had ever seen.

Those are probably the best I can think of right now.

Pitfall 2 it's a pretty well done game (like all Ativision games), but Solaris it's pretty good, specially when you pick the people in the planet But my personal pick it's California Games (also it's my best found in the wild so far )

OsBo

• Like 1

All of the later Activision games (post-Bridge era) were superb, there's no argument there. Similarily, all the Imagic titles were quite visually appealing, too, and played just as well.

But to stray from the well-beaten path, which have too many obviously good-looking games to mention, my vote would probably have to go to CBS's Tunnel Runner. Good use of display list interrupts for eye-popping colour, great 3D visuals and fantastic speed. Plus, the game was just damn addictive. It was one of their enhanced 14k games, and it showed. Probably CBS's best effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I think "Solaris" had some pretty darn impressive graphics for the 2600. I was also impressed the first time I played "Dark Chambers" (those were some pretty detailed "Entering Level -" screens, much better than the usual blocky letters, and the graphics were decent). What's the best 2600 game graphically, though?

Nateo, I always found Kung-fu Master to be really hard (nearly impossible on the emu). Not Double Dragon hard and un-fun, but just plain hard. What little graphics I had an opportunity to see were really good.

Grasshopper Stan (Nateo's Kung-Fu is stronger than mine)

Two games that had nearly identical graphics were "Title Match Pro Wrestling" and "Realsports Boxing". The characters look, walk, and fall the exact same! "Wrestling" was by Absolute while "Boxing" was by Atari. I can see why they used each others' graphics, they're excellent.

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

Well, since people already took my first two choices (Pitfall 2 and Solaris), I'll have to also mention Battlezone

--Zero

I don't know... I always liked Robotank better, the graphics are super good. I remember playing the Portuguese version

Osbo

Well, since people already took my first two choices (Pitfall 2 and Solaris), I'll have to also mention Battlezone (I know this game gets ragged on a lot, but I was blown away by it when I first played it), Cosmic Ark, Air Raiders (I was amazed with the screen tilting), and Q*Bert (I know it's simple, but the graphics were better than I was expecting).

Not to mention one that I can't believe hasn't been mentioned yet: Stargate! People always tell me Defender had nice graphics, well Stargate is light-years beyond Defender... it's almost just like the arcade!

And now to hijack the thread: Which games do you think had the worst graphics? I'd have to nominate the flicker-fest that is Pacman, and of course, Zaxxon.

--Zero

• 11 years later...