IGNORED

What's the best 2600 game graphically?

King Atari

I wouldn't call it the "best," but I remember being really impressed by the graphics in "Smurfs: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle" when it came out (1982). Then after that (I think?) "Pitfall!" came out (also 1982) and became the "best." And then "Pitfall II" (1983) took the crown.

I also have to cast a vote for "Millipede," which is one of my all-time favorite games. Sure, the graphics don't hold a candle to the arcade game, and there's a good bit of flicker-- but the sheer amount of onscreen sprites is really impressive. And when you're busy trying to stay alive, it suddenly doesn't matter so much that the mushrooms look like boxes. :)

Edited by SeaGtGruff

Pitfall 2, HERO, Ghost Busters, Fathom, & Montezuma's Revenge all had the most incredible detailed graphics and were also longer and more involved games then what you would usually get in a 2600 cart. I was impressed by them back then, and am still impressed today. I played those for hours on end, and still play them every time I'm playing my 2600.

I also think Sea Quest, River Raid, Jungle Hunt, & Subterranea, deserve some honors for not only having great graphics, but for also having longevity with their game play. The intensity of Subterranea (for me) began my obsession with space shooters in the years to come with the likes of Gradius 2, R-Type, Thunder Force 3, etc.

Lastly, Pitfall 2 is always given the crown for the best music, and deservedly so, but I think Gyruss also had amazing music as well.

I'm going to have to go with Road Runner followed closely by Medieval Mayhem (which of course is a modern homebrew). But that dragon at the beginning of each round is a work of art!

To me, "good Atari 2600 graphics" are pointless if the game sucks. Sorry Kung Fu, Rampage, Double Dragon, and Title Match Pro Wrestling.

If you can get the good graphics in harmony with a great game, it's something special on the 2600:

Pressure Cooker

Frostbite

Keystone Kapers

• 7 years later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, moycon said:

Ha!! There is no doubt, the games being made by enthusiasts today are simply amazing!! 

I can't imagine that some of the recent games, had they been released back in the day would have made millions of dollars!

Cyberdine_Systems.jpg.de2ca0da37a35559a971dbd1521dd72c.jpg

For Cyberdyne systems research division, no other company would have the capabilities to reproduce the T800 until 25 years into the future.