IGNORED

Anyone else notice 2600 Wings Proto found at DigitPress?

Godzilla

Now if the Ebivision guys could actually make PAL versions of their games, I'd take one from the store, but due to the unpredictable nature of NTSC games on a PAL machine, then the only real way I'd buy one is if I could test it through my CC2 beforehand. And that means needing the ROM  :|

I thought the Ebivision games could play on NTSC and PAL machines. I know that Alfred Challenge can. I'm not sure about the others.

Now if the Ebivision guys could actually make PAL versions of their games, I'd take one from the store, but due to the unpredictable nature of NTSC games on a PAL machine, then the only real way I'd buy one is if I could test it through my CC2 beforehand. And that means needing the ROM  :|

I thought the Ebivision games could play on NTSC and PAL machines. I know that Alfred Challenge can. I'm not sure about the others.

Yeah Alfred Challenge has both formats coded into it. Right difficulty switch changes it between PAL/NTSC

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in here - my ears were ringing! :)

You can look at the evil CGE/DP empire as "ROM Hoarders" if you want, but I think we've been pretty fair. Over the years we have released Tempest for 2600 and 5200, Garfield, Sky Patrol, Number Bumper and Ms. Space Fury for ColecoVision and others. Some of the games on Tempests' "hoarding" list (particularly the 7800 ones) just aren't working right and like last years' Rush Hour, we had someone fix the game before releasing it.

Some of the games released at CGE have been SOLD to offset our costs for running the Expo. Even so, the games eventually get dumped and released to the public, if not by us, then by mysterious strangers like "Pizza Boy". I'm pretty sure some of our past releases are available for free in a thread on these very forums, in fact.

You may think we're hoarders or bad people. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But please know that there is always another side to every myth!

We've got a few recent discoveries that we're going to be showing at CGE this year (including the aforementioned Wings) and there's a very good chance they'll be publicly released.

Stay tuned!

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in here - my ears were ringing! :)

You can look at the evil CGE/DP empire as "ROM Hoarders" if you want, but I think we've been pretty fair. Over the years we have released Tempest for 2600 and 5200, Garfield, Sky Patrol, Number Bumper and Ms. Space Fury for ColecoVision and others. Some of the games on Tempests' "hoarding" list (particularly the 7800 ones) just aren't working right and like last years' Rush Hour, we had someone fix the game before releasing it.

Some of the games released at CGE have been SOLD to offset our costs for running the Expo. Even so, the games eventually get dumped and released to the public, if not by us, then by mysterious strangers like "Pizza Boy". I'm pretty sure some of our past releases are available for free in a thread on these very forums, in fact.

You may think we're hoarders or bad people. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But please know that there is always another side to every myth!

We've got a few recent discoveries that we're going to be showing at CGE this year (including the aforementioned Wings) and there's a very good chance they'll be publicly released.  

Stay tuned!

Sweet! looking forward to seeing them!

-AG

But please know that there is always another side to every myth!

Yeah, for example, people are always calling me a loud-mouthed idiot who never shuts up. I'll have you know that I'm a quiet-mouthed idiot who never shuts up. ;)

I hope so. :) A lot of us can't get to CGE, and won't have a chance to see it otherwise. Even if it didn't get released in cart form, I wouldn't mind paying a nominal fee to purchase a downloadable ROM of it (and other unreleased or no longer available titles).

You can look at the evil CGE/DP empire as "ROM Hoarders" if you want, but I think we've been pretty fair. Over the years we have released Tempest for 2600 and 5200, Garfield, Sky Patrol, Number Bumper and Ms. Space Fury for ColecoVision and others.

While I'm always happy to see a new rom get released (no matter how insignificant), I find your choice of releases a bit suspect:

2600 Tempest –Very complete.

5200 Tempest – Very incomplete. This version isn't even playable!

Garfield – My understanding is that it could only be distributed in a non-profit way and not sold.

Sky Patrol – Very incomplete. The game really isn't playable.

Number Bumper – An educational math game

Pit Fighter – One screen demo.

Pompeii – Unplayable demo

Frog Demo – Unplayable demo

Wings – Requires a special controller and RAM chip.

From this list it appears that the only games you've released have been games you could not sell or otherwise profit from.

Yes it appears that way doesn't it? :ponder:

Tempest

Even if it didn't get released in cart form, I wouldn't mind paying a nominal fee to purchase a downloadable ROM of it (and other unreleased or no longer available titles).

I don't think that would go over very well as it wouldn't take long for someone to 'leak' it once they've purchased a copy. :| I think the number of people jumping at the chance to buy a rom image that is readily available online would be slim. Kind of like that arcade rom site.. I think it's a novel concept, just not any way currently to safegaurd from wrong doers.

And saying that, I personally would have no problems purchasing a rom image of unreleased game if something like this came to pass, but I'm not big on emulation, I'd much prefer carts. Anyone who didn't immedately jump onboard with a purchase, would probably be a lot less likely to purchase after it's floating around the web.

Maybe if this was an idea, they would offer as a pre-order type deal. Make people pay in advance for the image, until they reach a certain $$ then release it.

While I'm always happy to see a new rom get released (no matter how insignificant), I find your choice of releases a bit suspect:

"Suspect"?

Garfield is free to release now. It wasn't before we released it.

Number Bumper isn't an educational math game. You probably should have tried it before commenting, I bet you'd like it!

Also, read my whole post instead of choosing select bits to clip and comment on. I openly admitted that we've sold games in the past to reclaim costs on running the Expo over the past seven years.

Regardless, you'll find some way to put a negative spin on anything I say, because naturally I am evil. If you really wanted to get your hands on everything that gets discovered I'd recommend you try a more diplomatic approach instead.

Yeah Alfred Challenge has both formats coded into it.  Right difficulty switch changes it between PAL/NTSC

Well I didn't know that... blow me. Just been to test it and yep, Alfred Challenge does indeed switch colours with the difficulty switch.

But what of the others? Allia Quest is NTSC only, fair enough. Pacman seems to be NTSC only as well, along with Pesco (different colour schemes between PAL and NTSC with NTSC obviously looking the right one). Merlin's Walls is off on the title screen between the two formats, but ingame appears pretty much identical.

So ARE they NTSC and PAL on the same cart/ROM? Because it doesn't seem it to me... hence my question earlier.

I openly admitted that we've sold games in the past to reclaim costs on running the Expo over the past seven years.

And I never said there was anything wrong with that did I?

Regardless, you'll find some way to put a negative spin on anything I say, because naturally I am evil.

Did I say that anywhere in my post?

you really wanted to get your hands on everything that gets discovered I'd recommend you try a more diplomatic approach instead.

So you're willing to give out any of those roms to people who ask? I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. In the past I politely asked for the roms for the CGE game releases so I could do a proper write up on them for my website. I was refused every time.

Tempest

you really wanted to get your hands on everything that gets discovered I'd recommend you try a more diplomatic approach instead.

So you're willing to give out any of those roms to people who ask? I'm sorry' date=' but this is simply not true. In the past I politely asked for the roms for the CGE game releases so I could do a proper write up on them for my website. I was refused every time.

Tempest[/quote']

I have never received a request like this from you. And I didn't say we'd give all of the ROMS away, Matt. Again, we've used these to cover costs for the Expo. If there are ANY past years' ROMS you need, all you have to do is ask civilly.

Hi there!

Any chances on a find of "Wild Western"? Even if it was only something crappy like the Mc Donalds Prototype, I'd love to see anything from this game.

Greetings,

Manuel

I'm referring to the fact that anytime CGE or DP is mentioned, you have something negative to add. You don't have to "say" it, if my tiny brain can process it, everyone's brain can process it. It prolongs a foolish "rivalry" and it's childish nonsense.

I'm sorry you feel that is the case, but that is also untrue.

I have never received a request like this from you. And I didn't say we'd give all of the ROMS away, Matt. Again, we've used these to cover costs for the Expo. If there are ANY past years' ROMS you need, all you have to do is ask civilly.

IIRC those requests were sent to John and Sean. I wouldn't expect you to give out the current years roms (although it has been proven time and time again that it doesn't affect sales), but the roms from CGE 2K2 and CGE2K3 still haven't been released.

Tempest

Any chances on a find of "Wild Western"? Even if it was only something crappy like the Mc Donalds Prototype, I'd love to see anything from this game.

You and me both, brother!

Despite public opinion, we don't own all of the ROMS in the world. It's a day-in-day-out quest culminating in CGE each year.

I WILL tell you this: you know about Wings now... we've got another previous "rumor mill" title by CBS that will be shown at the show as well. Details will be along in the next few days. Can you guess what it is?

And yes, I'll be doing my best to get that one out to everyone as well!

I didn't specifically single out anyone in regards to hoarding roms. You'll have to forgive me as I don't have any experience in regards to prototypes. I'm just a regular collector making a crappy observation of what appears to be an exciting discovery.

Nothing against DP or CGE.

I didn't specifically single out anyone in regards to hoarding roms. You'll have to forgive me as I don't have any experience in regards to prototypes. I'm just a regular collector making a crappy observation of what appears to be an exciting discovery.

Nothing against DP or CGE.

Thanks but no need to apologize! There's a lot of preconceptions out there. I'm just here to explain my side of the story.

Some of the games on Tempests' "hoarding" list (particularly the 7800 ones) just aren't working right and like last years' Rush Hour, we had someone fix the game before releasing it.

BTW, what is the problem with the 7800 games that has been holding up their release for so long? I know the KLAX prototype had some problems with starting up on certain 7800s. That turned out ot be a problem in the game's startup code.

The first thing a 7800 game has to do is to lock the console into MARIA mode. For some reason KLAX writes a different value to the mode register right after it has locked MARIA mode. The second write shouldn't have any effect, because the mode is already locked at that point. But apparently on some 7800s the console gets switched into a mode where the game would crash. When you overwrite the second write to the mode register with NOP instructions, KLAX seems to play fine on all 7800s.

If your 7800 protos have problems with starting on some 7800 consoles as well, it might be worth looking for similar instructions in their startup code too.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

I'm referring to the fact that anytime CGE or DP is mentioned, you have something negative to add. You don't have to "say" it, if my tiny brain can process it, everyone's brain can process it. It prolongs a foolish "rivalry" and it's childish nonsense.

I'm sorry you feel that is the case, but that is also untrue.

IIRC those requests were sent to John and Sean. I wouldn't expect you to give out the current years roms (although it has been proven time and time again that it doesn't affect sales), but the roms from CGE 2K2 and CGE2K3 still haven't been released.

Tempest

:ponder:

BTW, what is the problem with the 7800 games that has been holding up their release for so long? I know the KLAX prototype had some problems with starting up on certain 7800s. That turned out ot be a problem in the game's startup code.

There's a mixture of issues. If you have da mad skillz please e-mail me, we'd be happy to find a repairman. :)