IGNORED

Arcade Classics we missed out on!

So I'm plying around with a NES multi cart, and whoa low and behold games for Nintendo I never knew existed!

Mappy

Pooyan

Front Line

Yi Ar Kung-Fu

Galaxian

Circus Charlie

Why weren't these released here? Sure they made most of them for the 2600, but these were really GOOD versions!

What other NES arcade ports might I not be seeing?

Daniel

Man, I woulda killed for a good Mappy in the 80's/90's.. Before the Psx..

Not sure if it's considered a classic or not (I know I love the arcade game) but Chase HQ was released in Japan for NES but never here in the states.

It actually was supposed to be released and a cheat code even showed up in Nintendo Power for it but it for whatever reason they decided not to bring it out over here.

Not sure if it's considered a classic or not (I know I love the arcade game) but Chase HQ was released in Japan for NES but never here in the states.  

It actually was supposed to be released and a cheat code even showed up in Nintendo Power for it but it for whatever reason they decided not to bring it out over here.

Judging by how poorly the PC ENgine version of Chase HQ turned out (hardware that was superior to the NES), it's unlikely you'd have been happy with a NES port.

So I'm plying around with a NES multi cart, and whoa low and behold games for Nintendo I never knew existed!

Mappy

Pooyan

Front Line

Yi Ar Kung-Fu

Galaxian

Circus Charlie

Why weren't these released here? Sure they made most of them for the 2600, but these were really GOOD versions!

Daniel

Man, I woulda killed for a good Mappy in the 80's/90's.. Before the Psx..

I didn't miss out on them. You better believe it I bought those suckas as soon as I found them! :D Well, actually I never did buy Circus Charlie or Yi Are Kung Fu nor Front Line (I thought the translation was poor). But yeah the rest were very cheap bootlegs for my Famicom which I actually had before the NES even came out.

Mappy was indeed released for NES, and it is most certainly not the same game as Mappyland.

Who released it?

I don't recall ever seeing the original Mappy for the American NES...though I do remember Naxat releasing MappyLand (along with some other titles like Star Soldier, Fist of the North Star, and some 2D platformer) in 1989.

Yep, check the US NES Rarity lists.. There is no entry for a US Mappy.

Sad Sad..

But you know what, now we can analyze what would have been a good translation of an arcade game(Turbo Vs. Nintendo), but back in the day if someone had released Front Line, I would have still boughten it cause it would have been the best we had!

I'm sure people would have compared it to the Colecovision or 2600 versions, but thats it. And from the way it looks and plays, it's not bad!

Daniel

And does anyone have a NES/Famicom adapter they'd like to sell?

Mappy

Pooyan

Front Line

Yi Ar Kung-Fu

Galaxian

Circus Charlie

Oh.. missed that question.

Space Invaders is one. :P There ARE others! I just don't have them off the top of my head at the moment....

The amiga game Larry and robbery of the Ardies helped quench my mappy desires way back when, and I also got the japanese mappy for my game gear which for some reason my local k mart had in their used game gear section back in the day (even though it was a Japanese title,) The game gear version is excellent.

But I know what you mean, I was surprised to discover many games on the NES that I never knew existed on the nes, like:

antartic adventure, boulder dash, brush roller (crush roller), burger time, crazy climber, drop zone, elite, fantasy zone 1 & 2, uridium (renamed as last starfighter,) Lode Runner, Puyo Puyo, Raid on Bungeling Bay, Rod Land, Super Arabian, Terra Cresta, among others that I wasn't aware of back in the day.

But back in the day did Japan really think that our market was so poor as to not bring out surefire classics as Dig Dug & Galaxian?

Crazy Climber I can understand.. but come on..

We get a garbage NES Dragon's Lair, but no love for Mappy.

Daniel

Makes me wonder what SNES & Genesis games we didn't really see.

The amiga game Larry and robbery of the Ardies helped quench my mappy desires way back when,

You know, I looked high and low for that game in my Amiga days. Finally found it a few years ago as a disk image, and fired it up.

Boy, am I glad I didn't spend the money back then :D

Some of the older Capcom titles like Psycho Soldier and Speed Rumbler WERE slated for release on the NES back in the early days but never saw the light of day. In fact, some issues of the pre-Nintendo Power "Nintendo Fun Club News" even had small ads from Capcom which showed black & white mock-up box art for these games.

Also, who else remembers the first GOONIES game? It was playable in the US via the Playchoice 10 arcade machines. Sadly, we got the more complicated GOONIES 2 instead. Meh!

joeybastard said :

I'm pretty sure seeing Mappy here in the US too. Circus Charlie too but I'm not as sure about that.

Neither one had official US releases, but both- especially Mappy- were so ubiquitous on the pirate multicarts, that it's not unlikely that you saw em. A good 50% of the multis I've picked up over the years has Mappy. Kinda weird.

GrandviewCoin said :

But back in the day did Japan really think that our market was so poor as to not bring out surefire classics as Dig Dug & Galaxian?  

Crazy Climber I can understand.. but come on..  

We get a garbage NES Dragon's Lair, but no love for Mappy.  

Maybe Atari had the US console rights all sewn up for Dig Dug and Galaxian. I know other games licensed by Atari made it out for the NES (Defender II as a specific example) but licensing terms probably differed from company to company.

Were Rally-X and Burger Time ever released here? If not, add them to the list.

I can kind of understand why these things weren't released here, because Nintendo figured that we wanted new games, kinda a prototype of the Sony no-2D policy . . . Because the Colecovision and Arcadia had a lot of those titles and they failed. So we got simple new games (Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, etc.) instead. They were probably right. That doesn't mean that it doesn't suck, though. :)

Most of Konami's CV/MSX titles ended up on the Famicom also, did they not? Even CPKA, which is hacked into some kind of sports game using the same engine.

antartic adventure, boulder dash, brush roller (crush roller), Burger Time, Crazy Climber, drop zone, elite, fantasy zone 1 & 2, uridium (renamed as last starfighter,) Lode Runner, Puyo Puyo, Raid on Bungeling Bay, Rod Land, Super Arabian, Terra Cresta,

Thank you Zilla, those were the titles I couldn't remember :) I thought you didn't like NES though :P

I totally forgot about Crazy Climber. You had to hold 2 NES pads facing sideways with the left facing up. Pretty darn cool :)