IGNORED

Atari Speech Synth

Richard H.

Any update on the availability of the USB interface?

I've been holding back waiting for djmips to finish coding the software EEPROM utility. But as it's been a long time, I might as well start building the interfaces as the driver can be coded later.

Any reason why this interface wouldn't work?

You can't just plug a serial port straight onto the AVox as the pins are different and the AVox requires power (which the port does not provide). The interface I made uses a similar chip to those used in the convertors, but power is routed from the USB port (and the serial stream inverted).

is there a link to download your adaption of PhraseALator?

You can get it here

edit: Any reason why this interface wouldn't work? http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/
That should work fine. I use an older version, the USA-19Qi. I think the only difference is the newer model can go up to 230 kbps, which is twice as fast, but that doesn't matter for the AtariVox.

I should probably clarify - I'm using the USB adapter with the AtariVox serial adapter. Having the USB adapter will streamline the setup as the AtariVox serial adapter also needs an external power supply.

I don't have a label on my AtariVox because I had the original model(as seen here) and Richard sent me the new case & circuit board. I just had to swap the chips from the old board over to the new board.

post-3056-1200931259_thumb.jpg

I should probably clarify - I'm using the USB adapter with the AtariVox serial adapter

Yes, Darrell is using the first version of the interface which requires an external PSU

I really just want to use it with the PraseALater for songs.

It's really quite easy when you get into it. Songs in C are easiest to do, just get the words sounding OK then add in the pitches. I did few Christmas carols a while back, and a guy on the SpeakJet forum did the classic HAL 'Daisy Daisy' :cool:

About how long do you think it might be on the interface?

At least a month, I need to catch up on some other stuff first.

The good thing about the USB interface is it only has 3 components and 2 connectors making it easy to put together. It fits in the StellAdaptor case, I got hold of some in PC cream to distinguish it from the black AVox.

I ordered all the bits to make 25 units today.

Nathan is doing me a label, so it will look like a pretty nice piece of kit (picture coming soon).

You'll need a USB B lead (like those used on printers), and obviously an AVox and a pair of PC speakers.

Edited by Richard H.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I have 25 built.

$30 + shipping. PM me if you want one.

Forgot to say, it also works with the VecVox. Just requires a different firmware profile (programmed through the USB).

I'll put both AtariVox and VecVox firmware files on my site soon.

post-2630-1203709533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard H.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand what the Atarivox is; a speech synthesiser for the 2600 with several games taking advantage of it. :cool:

I understand what a Stelladaptor is; for playing emulated 2600 games (with roms) on a computer and a Stelladaptor allows you to use an original 2600 controller like a joystick or paddle on your computer. - correct?? (I prefer the real hardware - fully ;))

But, what is this USB-B adaptor actually used for? - in the pictured cream colored Stelladaptor case? Is it for using the AtariVox on a computer with 2600 emulated games? If so, I didn't think that roms were availablefor many homebrews? If not then - What is this USB-B adaptor for and what does it do?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

It's for dev work (making speech and sounds) to go into games. Uses the PC with a software utility which makes this task easier.

Is it for using the AtariVox on a computer with 2600 emulated games?

It could be used for that too. Of course the emulator would have to be adapted to send serial data.

(BTW it has nothing to do with the Stelladaptor, I just used the same case)

(BTW it has nothing to do with the Stelladaptor, I just used the same case)

Too bad the Stelladapter firmware isn't upgradable; it should be possible to make one unit do double duty (though if it functions as a controller the AtariVox stuff would probably also have to be handled as a HID divice; that might not be too horrible, though, at least if it's a full-speed USB controller).

• 2 weeks later...