IGNORED

Atari Speech Synth

Richard H.

The case that fits it is available in the US from Pactec, and is model CNS-0404

http://www.pactecenclosures.com/Plastic-En...04-drawing.html

Let me know if you want to wait, or case it yourself (you only need to drill one hole for the PSU plug)

post-2630-1127738028_thumb.jpg

PM me

938157[/snapback]

Well, I am finally getting around to ordering the case for the interface board. Is there a case that will fit the AtariVox? Might as well enclose both of them.

Stephen Anderson

Is there a case that will fit the AtariVox?

Not your version.

But, I've recently redesigned the AtariVox to fit a 'StellAdaptor case'. And as the major chips are socketted on your PCB, it will be easy to migrate to the new cased design.

I sent Albert the PCB layout a while back, and I think he's getting some prices for having the boards made. So eventually, you should be able to get hold of a case and board.

Is there a case that will fit the AtariVox?

Not your version.

But, I've recently redesigned the AtariVox to fit a 'StellAdaptor case'. And as the major chips are socketted on your PCB, it will be easy to migrate to the new cased design.

I sent Albert the PCB layout a while back, and I think he's getting some prices for having the boards made. So eventually, you should be able to get hold of a case and board.

983189[/snapback]

Sounds cool.

You wouldn't happen to have any info (books or implementations) on text to speech algorithms would you? Doing a google search just leads to info on software packages for modern machines.

Stephen Anderson

• 2 months later...
FYI I've redesigned the AtariVox computer interface, it's now USB PnP and is fully powered by the PC.

It allows the user to play around with speech and sounds, and also read / write / verify the contents on the EEPROM (AVox or MemCard).

Hopefully, I'll be offering these free to developers.

1022546[/snapback]

USB sounds awesome. Can I get a discount by trading in my serial dev board?

Stephen Anderson

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some pics of the USB interface, I fitted it into a 'stelladapter case' (cream coloured version). It's all powered by the USB port via an A - B cable.

Looks great - hope to test one out soon. I have my dev setup for my 8-bit all done - my project will be a mix of Turbo Basic XL and assembly (MAC 65). I am developing the code on the real computer - I must be crazy!

Stephen Anderson

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just seen this recently and it sounds fantastic.

I'm a musician, not a gamer or programmer so this may be a stupid question.... is there/will there be a program available so I can simply type in words and it'll talk (like my Currah Speechcart for the C64) or do I need to do know actual programming to use this via USB on a PC?

I'm mostly interested in using the generated speech for electronic music, and being a lazy English musician I'd obviously like all the hard work to be already done ;)

The demo's sound brilliant by the way, very clear speech.

D

is there/will there be a program available so I can simply type in words and it'll talk (like my Currah Speechcart for the C64)

I know Batari was working on a TTS (Text To Speech) prog for the 2600

You can do it manually with PhraseALator (a SpeakJet utility I adapted for the AtariVox) it also allows sounds to be experimented with.

The USB dev interface (needed for the above) will be available soon, this will allow you full access to the AtariVox features (sounds and memory)

BTW Paul Slocum is eventually adding support to his Loopcart sequencer

It's also pretty easy to make it sing using the utility, the software has a 3 octave range. Here's an example I did a while back.

Edited by Richard H.

It's also pretty easy to make it sing using the utility, the software has a 3 octave range.

I'd call it a two octave range. The top note is the "B" (or for Germans, the "H") below middle C. Although the AtariVox can be programmed to output sound down to 32Hz, it sounds completely unlike human singing at such pitches. A typical human singing bass can go about 1.5 octaves below middle C; a deep bass singer can go a little over two octaves.

As a point of reference, for what it's worth, BTP2 music has a range extending from two octaves below middle C to three octaves above.

Was the Speakjet used in the Speak & Spell or was that a chip made by Texas Instruments?

It was their own chip. The SpeakJet is a new device, only a few years old.

Going back to the USB interface, a guy on the forums (djmips) is helping me out with the memory part of the AVox interfacing, the PhraseALator hook-up is working already.

I'll be sending one or two out for testing if you're interested ?

Edited by Richard H.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Any update on the availability of the USB interface? Also, did the OS X driver ever come to fruition?
Not yet. I kinda got sidetracked with Stay Frosty and a new job last year :D

I'd like to use it on my next game though, so there's some incentive to finish what I got started(all it does so far is connect and say "SpiceWare").

edit: Any reason why this interface wouldn't work? http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/
That should work fine. I use an older version, the USA-19Qi. I think the only difference is the newer model can go up to 230 kbps, which is twice as fast, but that doesn't matter for the AtariVox.