IGNORED

Bad joystick port.

loggahead

You think Radioshack would have a socket that would fit that chip?

I never went to a Radioshack :) But I think they have. the socket is even more common then the 4050.

If you can't get the socket or have to place another minimum order of $15 for getting the socket then PM me your address and I'll send you one. But you have to wait for your repairs a little longer as Airmail to the States takes about 8 to 10 days from here.

• 1 month later...

This sucks.

My $20 package from Best Elec that had my .29 cent 4050 chip in it is lost!? Tracking showed it shipped on the 3rd of September but has no more info on the package. I called the USPS and they couldn't put a trace on it because their system was down. ARRRGH.

I am not too fond of the USPS right now. :)

I wish I could just send Best Elec .50 cents and have them drop me the chip in the mail! hehe

Anyway, I was just leaving an update. I am down in Pensacola, FL and we just got hit by a major hurricane and have been without facilities for awhile and have just begun to get things back to normal. I still want to get this 2600 fixed though. My soldering iron over here is getting lonely.

-logga

My $20 package from Best Elec that had my .29 cent 4050 chip in it is lost!?

What a bummer :sad:

Maybe the hurricane has something to do with it. USPS does work for me (even surface mail) and I hope it stays that way in the future.

I'll see if I can find a 4050 for you, when I find one I'll send it to you together with a socket.

Just a handy 'for your reference' thing...

You can order _FREE_ samples of some ICs from chip makers.

Companies like:

On Semiconductor

Analog Devices

Fairchild Semiconductor

and

Texas Insturments

It's quite scary since they'll spend real money to ups/fed-x you a 0.10 part for free. They do get sensitive to abuses, so I keep my orders limited to what my current project(s) require, and I select 2-3day delivery. I'm rarely in a huge hurry.

Hex.

[ Needs to find his lost mini-tube of (3) CD4050s ... ]

IT WORKED!!!!!!

Blinky, thanks a million!!!! Your package sure beat the one from CA! Im going to have to get USPS tracking the other.

I had a hard time desoldering the holes to put the socket in you sent. I finally got it soldered in, but the pins don't come out the bottom of the board. Although its not all the way through, it is in there snug as a bug.

I fired it up with Joust in and played a successful 2 player game without any hitches!!! Thanks so much for the diagnosis and cure!

-logga