IGNORED

Atari ST Mouse

The buttons on the original Atari mice are a little "clunky". They are not like the refined modern mice that respond to a light tap of the finger. They were designed back when mice were still a new invention and nonexistance on IBM machines.

Is the mouse used or new-old-stock? It may be worth unscrewing the bottom and taking the top off to give it a good cleaning. The mouse may also be a bit stiff and need to be broken in so keep using it!

I have the original Atari mouse on my ST and I've gotten used to it but I have a modern serial mouse on my TT which is more responsive.

- Steve

• 1 month later...
I ordered a mouse from 4Jays.com.  It is an Atari brand mouse.  When I tried it out, I had to press the buttons really hard to get any response.  Now I know this is almost 20 year old hardware, but is this common among Atari mice?  Is it something that I can fix?

Actually its the mechanical buttons themselves, they are VERY stiff and I've always disliked that from a biomechanics standpoint, they were not well thought out, neither was the high height of the mouse as well and Atari never made an attempt to better the design which was a pitty...

Curt

You can use alternative mouses on the ST (but I don't know, if one was released in USA...) I'd prefer the Golden Image GI-6000 optical mouse, its a small switchable (Atari/Amiga) mouse. I've also a Quick Shot QS-3123 - a good and ergonomic mouse. The STM-1 I don't use since I've this both mice :D

Mike

You can use alternative mouses on the ST (but I don't know, if one was released in USA...) I'd prefer the Golden Image GI-6000 optical mouse, its a small switchable (Atari/Amiga) mouse. I've also a Quick Shot QS-3123 - a good and ergonomic mouse. The STM-1 I don't use since I've this both mice :D

Mike

The "Best" mouse and the Beetle mouse I always thought were great mice for the ST's as well.... the other easy route is pick up an only MS Serial mouse and there are drivers on the net to allow you to plug them into the ST serial port and use them.

• 5 weeks later...