Cheap 2K/4K X-in-1 menu driven Multicart for Atari 2600

Blinky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

@Dabliogames:

The table is needed so you can add games that use bankswitching. If not you would have manu entries that jump into the middle of a game.

@arturfreddy:

Could you explain what logic your board uses?

If you jump to a multigame, do you lock the mdmc bankswitching?

If not... then how do you prevent accidental bankswitching?

I recognize my old Krokodile Cart code here. icon_smile.gif

Hmm... its been a while since I wrote that menu but I think I wrote it from scratch. Although I do remember that I took the idea and look from the crocodile card. Just in case I am wrong and did take cade fron you, I am sorry. I normally do not borrow code without giving credit.

Again, at least the idea of the menu was yours. Thanks for that one Thomas.

Hmm... its been a while since I wrote that menu but I think I wrote it from scratch. Although I do remember that I took the idea and look from the crocodile card. Just in case I am wrong and did take cade fron you, I am sorry. I normally do not borrow code without giving credit.

Again, at least the idea of the menu was yours. Thanks for that one Thomas.

No big deal. I am not even sure if I ever released the menu code, but your code is definitely very related. Code, macros and labels are too similar.

Attached the latest code for the Krokodile Cart menu for you to compare. Most likely both are based on the same original code.

MultiCart5.asm

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

When I get the time I surely will compare them. If I remember correctly then I was looking for a menu and could not find one that suited me. But I did see screenshots of your menu and tried to replicate it. I do not think I ever found your source and not even the rom... the only krokodile rom I remember is the multi color bmp demo.

This is all out of my head... I might be wrong. But either way, you did help. I also remember that I only had 12 characters at first. That idea and the timing of the 13th character came from another rom. maybe I did find yours in the end... all too long ago. I'll look it up when I get the chance.

But thanks for the code.

I'm just an amature when it comes to coding and it might be inreresting to look at.

I'm curious about the details of his changes. I tried to read his scematics but I do not get what is connected to what. Its mostly the left part that I do not get. What I wonder is if 8k, 4k and 16k can be mixed or not. Is mdmc locked after while other bankswitching is still possible etc.... etc...

I do not have much time right now and in 3 days I'm on a vacation, so checking it out further will not happen soon.

Edited by DrWho198

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Is the latest pcb and menu software hosted anywhere? That multicart seem awesome and I would like to build one but there is so many post in this thread spanning several years that it is getting confusing to piece up all the infornation needed. Thanks!

I'm curious about the details of his changes. I tried to read his scematics but I do not get what is connected to what. Its mostly the left part that I do not get. What I wonder is if 8k, 4k and 16k can be mixed or not. Is mdmc locked after while other bankswitching is still possible etc.... etc...

I do not have much time right now and in 3 days I'm on a vacation, so checking it out further will not happen soon.

I'm still hoping for this PCB to get produced and sold.

Most likely this thread is our common source.

I was thinking, by any chance... did you use some of the code in another project? Maybe I got part if your code another way.

We had some complications, but we just produced a first batch of plates.

post-47443-0-61128500-1533638356_thumb.jpg

But will the pcb design be made available or the plan is to sell them only? If its only going to be sold, is there a final schematic we can use to design our own? I found a design at OSH park but seem to date back to 2015 and seem to have less component (https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/CGWhONGV) so not sure of it can still be used...

Thank you

Edited by SkinnyV
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

To be honest, the PCB looks a lot different from what it used to be. It's so complicated that I feel it is missing the intent of the original design.

And I'm still curious for details and workings of what you intend to do.

In case this design moves too far away from Blinky's design then I would suggest calling it something else.

I would love to see this project continue, but please make sure that you share information and do not drift away from what was intended (which was a simple DIY design with decent options and flexibility).

If you do feel the need to take your own path then I would suggest making a new thread and linking to it in this one.

But again... please share what you intend to do instead of saying 'I have this that does that and it's really cool'. Because other people would like to learn from you too, just as you did when you started following this thread. Hey, maybe they can even help you!

Just to be clear:

All schematics that I and blinky posted were ready to produce and work fine. Code was given and files shared.

The latest version that alex_79 adapted should be the most advanced. I have not tested it myself but knowing that alex's previous adaptations were spot on gives me great confidence that his work is reliable.

With the latest adaptation that blinky did to the schematics at my request, It was possible to add larger roms as long as you patched the roms to use mdmc instead of its original bankswitching. It's been a long time since I have been working on this project but i remember that we had many roms patched already and I even have a tool somewhere that patches the roms for you.

I hope this project stays alive. I had a great time with it and I'm sure many other will too if the thread is not contaminated with unclear information.

What is the difference between the PCB on the left and right aside from the fingers obviously. I've not followed along in a while so I'm out of the loop. One is for bankswitched games and the other for 2 and 4k only?

Edited by Shawn

• 7 months later...

Thanks to DrWho198 I'm tinkering with my atari 2600 again :) After he sent me one of his PCBs (Thanks again :) ). His PCB is pretty good. But I wanted to add one of these cool 'pixel' pushbuttons I have lying around so I had to cut of part of the PCB off to make space for the button then after having no sockets lying around and also realizing that there is no space to mount a EPROM on a socket. I wondered If I couldn't use a 5V FLASH chip that can be reprogrammed through the carts connector. So there I went again making some more modifications to the PCB.

All it needs are a few modifications to the PCB and a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch to turn it into an el cheapo flash cart :D

I've attached a new schematic for the new design. The cart uses a 256Kbyte FLASH chip that can be reprogrammed at 5V. The switch selects the carts mode. In Normal play mode. The cart is pretty much the same as the MDM cart (except that BA18 must now always be 0) and in Program mode BA18 and BA19 are used to program the cart.

For the programmer I'm planning to solder a card edge connector and a latch chip to an arduino proto shield so it can be be connected to basic arduino(uno). By using these parts the programmer will probably cost not more than $10. Time to order some parts now!

to be continued.

Parabéns,

Uma pergunta como você liga A11?, tentei montar minha placa e menu fica travado!!!

Hello everyone of the forum I, Wagner, Brazil I'm asking for help, I'm setting up my Multicard, the menu gets stuck, I can not change the games, any option is greyed back to the menu again. I have the following doubts: 1- It has a lock, it only gets activated at high level does not change, is that right? 2- How to connect A11, 3- To make a Multicard of 15 games, I need to change what in the XXXXX.asm file. Thank you very much

• 2 years later...
On 10/8/2014 at 6:33 PM, Blinky said:

Nice to see you're interested in my MDMC project DrWho198 and I'm very pleased to read support for it has been added to stella :D

I just don't seem to find the time to pick up this project again so It's nice to see someone continuing the idea.

I've attached the assembly source of the menu. menu5.asm is the one used in the menu iirc. the menu is 512 bytes and the remaining data is for bitmapped menu items.

There are some variables you can set to vary the number of scanlines per title, the number of total menu items in the menu and the number of items on a single menu page and colors. Maybe it will be some use to you or may give you a nice idea

multimenu.zip 21.2 kB · 381 downloads

hello, where do i define the names of the games
in this menu?

tks