IGNORED

was the xybots version of gaunlet ever realsed as a proto?

Jeffshaw

• 1 month later...

Sounds like bullshit to me. Where did you hear it?

Xybots was released in the arcade (1987) not long after Gauntlet II. No way were they connected by anything other than a similar manufacturer. The only apparent connection between the two games are that both the original Gauntlet and Xybots were designed by Ed Logg.

I base this on there being no apparent reason to think that there is a connection. Do you know of any reason? Hmmm?

For example: I say that Centipede is actually the sequel to Asteroids. I have nothing more to back this up. Do you assume that I am right or assume that I am wrong?

Here's the thing about xybots, though...

It has essentially the same gameplay as Gauntlet, so the case COULD be made that Xybots was supposed to be an incarnation of the Gauntlet line.

However, I do recall someone having mentioned that Xybots was indeed programmed as Gauntlet originally. The KLOV doesn't mention anything about this, though.

You "hmmmed" me first buddy!

If there's a connection then I'd be fascinated because I'm a big fan of both games, but I've never seen any reason to believe Xybots was ever meant to be anyhting other than sci-fi. The only similarity is that both games take place in a maze.

Agent X might be able to provide a better clue to the source of this rumour; he posted some information in the Lynx forum in a topic about Xybots:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55221

To quote Agent X

I read somewhere that Xybots was originally supposed to be a pseudo-first-person Gauntlet game (it's actually third-person, with a 3D, over-the-shoulder perspective), but they suddenly decided they didn't want it as part of the Gauntlet series. So, they changed the entire theme of the game from "medieval" to "futuristic," and it became the Xybots that we're all familiar with now.

You "hmmmed" me first buddy!

If there's a connection then I'd be fascinated because I'm a big fan of both games, but I've never seen any reason to believe Xybots was ever meant to be anyhting other than sci-fi. The only similarity is that both games take place in a maze.

you guys should really quit giving each other hummers in public

• 3 months later...
Which doesn't make it "Gauntlet 3" in any way. When Crystal Castles began development it was supposed to be an Asteroids sequel, but that was thrown totally out the window and a new game created. This seems to be the same situation.

sorry i have been gone for so long...

well, all i am saying it's a shame that the gaunlet concept was canned, i wonder how close it was to being finished when atari said no?

From Ed Logg:

"Xybots came from a challenge by Doug Snyder, a hardware engineer at Atari. We wanted to do a multi-player Castle Wolfenstein-like game that had no 'bit map' hardware. So I created an algorithm based on 8 by 8 stamps and he did the hardware. I started the game as a two-player split-screen Gauntlet III. Partway through, marketing said they wanted something other than Gauntlet. So I changed the characters and enemies to be more like Major Havoc. I still regret changing the theme and wish I kept my original concept."

Definitely not bullshit.

• 3 months later...
Something I forgot...

Yeah... the original concept was created as Gauntlet III, but there was never any code done for it. The game was always Xybots.

So, there was a connection. I think "bullshit" is too strong of a word for something that came directly from the designer himself :)

800153[/snapback]

well, the prvious post you made, amde it sound like there was some code written for it, an algarthim (typo) written, wouldn't that be considered as code? I still say it's too bad the game was never finished