IGNORED

pc controllers

scogey

Not a dumb question at all. That's why we're all here.

Stella can use most game port or USB-based PC controllers. All you have to do is go through the options in the emulator and make sure that you have the sticks and buttons on your controller properly assigned to the 'virtual joystick' in Stella. Feel free to PM me if you need details on how to do that. I don't mind!

I have been through at least half a dozen different controllers of different sorts for my PC -- Gravis, Microsoft, Saitek, you name it. I don't know really anything about the company (cause I traded for the converter box from a friend) but I have been the most satisfied (for all kinds of games, Atari 2600--> GTA: Vice City) using my Sony DualShock controller. I got this USB-port converter, lemme see, it's called "SuperJoyBox3". I suppose I could look up the company's name by looking at the driver files, if anyone cares to know.

Anyway, just for Atari games, you'd probably do well to use a standard (non-analog) Gravis GamePad, or similar $10 4-button gamepad that you can get at BestBuy or WalMart. If you are looking for a controller to use on vintage games as well as modern PC games, I'd recommend a dual-analog + digital unit. I know Gravis and Microsoft make examples of this type, can't remember the names, sorry.

But if you can find one of these SuperJoyBoxes, it's a freaking steal. I got mine in exchange for a Gamevube controller (which means that my buddy must not've paid more than $30 for it). And you can use your PSX grey controller on it. It even has the vibration function intact. For my money, Sony made the best controller ever. But that's another topic entirely. Good luck!

Thanks Max! ill probably just pick up a cheap one (as i am a cheap person). I'd try the stelladaptor if i thought my old 2600 jr stick would live longer than a day.

Ive had my ps1 dual shock controller for over 6 years and never had a problem with it either.

Again thanks for the input!