IGNORED

Commando - POW camps

Propane13

Hello people,

Cousin Vinnie's Commando Cheats Page is a pretty good source for Commando POW camps.

A couple of notes to add:

1) Duty 2, Area 2: It's actually on the left side of the bridge, not the right

2) Duty 2 Area 1: After the screen with the knife, go up the isthmus until you come to a tree with 2 grenades behind it. After these trees, there is a pond in the middle of the screen, and after the pond, there is a rock outcropping on the left and right sides of the screen. Lob a grenade into the jutting-out piece of the right-hand rock mass. That's where the secret POW camp is.

I never found the one in Duty 2, Area 3, but I have a feeling there's one there. Don't know about any ones being in Area 4's. Or if there are multiple POW camps per area.

However, I do know this: If you lose your last life on a screen where a POW camp is, yet it has not been bombed open yet, it'll open up automatically and you can see it. For example, try losing your last life on level 1, just before the bridge, and you'll see what I mean. With this technique, if someone was bored enough, they could find the rest of the POW camps. I believe one of them has Cobras in it!

Any takers?

-John K. Harvey

By all means, feel free to add it. You can even chunk it down a bit if you like (it's kinda wordy).

Hopefully, someone will get nuts and find some of the other ones. I'm still mesmerized by the one on Duty 1, Area 3. I didn't even realize it was there, the first time.

-John K. Harvey

Hmm.. thanks for teasing us with all the Commando info. Now all I need is a copy to try it out - anyone.. anyone...?

BTW, on an unrelated issue, as someone who has been collecting carts for 20 yrs. I must admit to having some difficulty adjusting the the "jr. Atari fan" designation.

Cheers!

My bad. I was thinking of Ikari Warriors.

That's the game I got so much for on an e-bay auction.

And no offense intended to those devout fans of the 7800...just my opinion.

I realize that it's a broad sweep of the opinion brush, but I still stand by my statement, that other than Commando, IW, Dr J/Bird and maybe a handful of others, the 7800 games just weren't that much fun to play. Especially in light of the what NES brought to the table in the same time period. You simply can't compare the color, sound or playability.

quote:

Originally posted by MarkR_7800Fan:

Geez - that's YOUR OPINION. I paid about 8.00 for my Commando on Ebay.

I realize that it's a broad sweep of the opinion brush, but I still stand by my statement, that other than Commando, IW, Dr J/Bird and maybe a handful of others, the 7800 games just weren't that much fun to play. Especially in light of the what NES brought to the table in the same time period. You simply can't compare the color, sound or playability.

Heh - you got quite lucky with Ikari as well. I bought it for $15 new, in box, not too long ago. :-)As for the NES, I had one and an SMS too. Sound I'll give you. playability, I will also give ... though I did find a lot of 7800 games to be fun and I like rooting for the underdogs.

As for colour, that's a whole other issue. To be honest, I found a lot of NES games to be washed out when it came to colour - especially when compared to more SMS and NES games. There were a lot of 7800 games that didn't make use of the 7800's full colour potential (its palette was almost 5 times that of the NES) too but I didn't find the NES games looked more colourful. If anything, I found they often looked grainy. Compare, for example, the "Lucasfilm" logo in the NES Ballblazer and then compare the same screen on the 7800. No comparison.