IGNORED

Atari Flashback Unit

Trip_Cannon

While the thing looks like a 7800 I don't think it has any 7800 titles so it's really just the Jakks 2600 hardware in a 7800-looking case.

Let's go back and actually read the product description before taking the time to write such a lengthy comment shall we?

While the thing looks like a 7800 I don't think it has any 7800 titles so it's really just the Jakks 2600 hardware in a 7800-looking case.

Let's go back and actually read the product description before taking the time to write such a lengthy comment shall we?

ha ha, thats pretty funny!

I think they should not have any games programed inside but a card port like the Sega Master system had and sell the old games in card form for $3.99 and the system for $30.00

I think this would make some people more happy and make Atari more money and room to expand into something more then this.... I will still buy this "new" Atari thing at its high price tag, don't know why it so high ?

Question: I note that "Food Fight" is being marketed as "Charley Chuck's Food Fight". Does anyone think that the title screen will be tweaked?

Personally, I think that the console is a great idea. I personally think that the selected games are very solid, and suggest that we can expect "sequels" if the units sell well. Atari's riding on a wave of retro nostalgia, and if we get a few neat toys out of it, why complain?

Apparently some company snatched up the Food Fight trademark in 2000 when it expired.... if you look at the original Atari coin-op, it actually says in small type near the title" Charley Chuck's" and then Food Fight in large letters.... So Atari is working around this trademark issue, the actual rom code itself is copyrighted, so while they may have tweaked the packaging name, the actual game and title screen is the same and doesn't have to be changed.

Curt

Of course there's no cart slot.  Companies ignore the secondary market and have nothing to gain by putting a slot in (as stated)  Though this does make a complete relaunch of the real system a decent possibility, carts and all.  

Whatever, I'm buying this for sure.  This is much better than that 10 in 1 paddle / joystick battery sucking nonsense.  Of course, be prepared for some haphazard emulations

Sometimes there is a LOT more involved then ignoring a secondary market or being blind to a larger audience... Sometimes a project is highly limited in its development time and while many will say, ah its cheap to make a new cpu, let me tell you, cheap is a general term, it costs nearly $500K to develop a new piece of silicone and another $80-$120k for the die's, this is production quality we're talking about, not some hobbyist FPGA hardware or the like... then add 4-5 months development and debugging time.

When you're "testing the waters" and trying to venture into what is unknown territory for a software-only company, costs and short time to product are the deciding factor, so while this new console as I mentioned, may not satisfy the hardcore gamers, it will appeal to the masses and it has a fresh new look and design that the other battery operated, oversized all-in-one handheld game systems currently don't have, so this gives the all-in-1 market a higher bar to raise...

When I first heard of the Commodore system coming out, I thought that perhaps they'd have done a mini-C64 case with a joystick connected to it, not the knock-off generic 3rd party looking joystick they are using, I think that does NO justice to the C64 whatsoever.

Curt

When are they going to make something like this that comes with built-in games, but has a cartridge slot too? Would it be too expensive to make? And do they do any research before they make something like this? How about pretending to be a newbie here and asking what we all would want if someone made a new product. What kind of joystick do we like and stuff like that?

There was a product out of Asia a few years back called "TV Games" (or something like that. It looked just like the "2600 Jr." (the mini ones) but, besides the cartridge port, it also had a bunch of built-in games. I've got one around here somewhere...

So tell me Curt that means that they are using REAL games roms and not like the fake games llike the ones on that 10 in 1 Plug&Play Joystick? Also how the hell did you get that UNIT? Are you in some part in working with them or are they sensing it to you in TEST MARKET it with you to see if none of us are going to storm there office with torch & pinchforks?

Hey Albert! Now that there's a new "Atari Console" are you going to be on ther Site's Store and if so how much it will cost? Also If this IS a new unit are you going to add it here at AtariAge and if so then how will it be part of this site and in what name under?

2600 | 5200 | 7800 | Lynx | Jaguar | Flashback | Forums | Store

That I really need to know???

Here are some more photo's:

Great pictures :)

I'd wish I could look inside of them :D

;-)

Thanks For another great picture.

Now thats looks very much like famiclone control logic :!:

I wouldn't be surprised if you could hook it up directly to a famiclone or NES using a different plug.

Hmmm...too many Flashback threads.

I have only 2 gripes:

No Atari 2600 controllers???

Only 20 games??? and yet they will release a CD with ALL the games for Xbox and PS2???????

No cartridge slot??????

Save Games?????

RRRRRR!! :x

I will still buy one because its better than nothing and I'm a classic game idiot but it still feels like a let down because I know many people who were waiting for a re-issue Atari console with games AND a built in slot....