IGNORED

Best game based on movie/TV show.

King Atari

If 2600 Spiderman could be associated with a specific show or movie that'd be my pick. ESB is also easily in my top 25 VCS games.

For a non 2600 option, I enjoyed Sheep Raider on the PlayStation way more than I should have. It is based on old Coyote and Road Runner cartoons.

And then of course there's magnificent stuff like KOTOR and Arkham Asylum which might fit in a conversation like this.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I feel the two prototypes of Planet of the Apes and Alligator people are the best. I've been a POTA fan for as long as I can remember and I loved the game when I discovered it a few years ago. As far as released games, I'm going with FOX2600 and say "Porky's". I had many memorable hours playing that game.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I feel the two prototypes of Planet of the Apes and Alligator people are the best. I've been a POTA fan for as long as I can remember and I loved the game when I discovered it a few years ago. As far as released games, I'm going with FOX2600 and say "Porky's". I had many memorable hours playing that game.

I wonder if POTA had been released, it'd end with the Statue of Liberty being buried as the apes took over Earth, like in the movie. (Makes me wonder what a developer would have done with Cloverfield if it had came out in the 80s)

*Sigh*

Just when I think it's safe, a reminder of my dunder-headed posting-past resurfaces! I cringe whenever one of these threads are revived. (Apparently the brief 2013 reboot missed my attention; good!)

M*A*S*H was a book first and Superman was a comic book...

(Yes, I'm replying to a response from nearly 18 years ago.)

Superman I'll give you; even if the 1978 film seems, to me, to be some kind of impetus for the game, nothing in the artwork or plot definitively connects the two. Nowadays, I'd consider it more of a "comic book game" than a movie or TV one.

M*A*S*H though, yes it was a book before it was a movie before it was a show, but the 2600 game is pretty obviously based specifically on the TV series. Even the movie version doesn't really factor in here, other than as initial source material (same as the book). Without the incredible popularity of the show (the only iteration of M*A*S*H most kids would have likely been familiar with), the 2600 game almost certainly doesn't get made, and besides, the manual references characters that were created for the show. (Klinger, BJ and Potter were inventions for the series and had no place in the original novel or subsequent movie adaptation. 'Course, if we want to get technical, there's no reason for Trapper and Beej to both be "in" the game, since the latter was the replacement for the former, but whatever.)

I think Star Wars Arcade, Ewok Adventure, Gremlins & Smurfs are all great games based on movies :)

Gotta say, people like to rag on Gremlins, but I get a kick out of it. My only real complaint is that I'd prefer it used the paddles instead of the joystick, but IMO it's still pretty fun, especially once it starts getting really frantic! (It also has those 1984/1985 "lost era" vibes going for it; it was neither a product of the 2600's 'golden age' nor of the late-1980s revival, and I find that pretty interesting. Given the circumstances surrounding the release of the 5200 version, I'm also wildly intrigued in that instance as well. But, I digress.)

ANYWAY, all that said, I want to give a shout-out to 2600 Ghostbusters in this category. Granted, I'm a fan of that game in general, but the 2600 port is pretty impressive given the hardware; it's one of the few times I won't balk (too much) at having to use the console switches during gameplay, because in doing so they were able to more-easily implement some features from the original version(s). Ghostbusters also has those "lost era" vibes going for it too; go figure!

(While on the subject, even though it's not a very good game, the PAL-only Ghostbusters II I find endlessly fascinating and actually kinda like in spite of itself. That 1992 release date on the box is an eyebrow-raiser, too!)

• Like 1

I wonder if POTA had been released, it'd end with the Statue of Liberty being buried as the apes took over Earth, like in the movie. (Makes me wonder what a developer would have done with Cloverfield if it had came out in the 80s)

The game does end with the Statue of Liberty revelation, it's just a little, erm, abstract. AtariProtos has a great page on the game here.

Star Wars: The Arcade Game.

M*A*S*H was a book first and Superman was a comic book...

Actually the more accurate Star Wars game would be "The Empire Strikes Back" which is the precise title of the second movie and also the Atari game

• Like 1