IGNORED

Interview on TechTV ScreenSavers Friday

Paul Slocum

If anyone has a good capture of Paul's segment, I'd be glad to host it on AtariAge for people to grab. You can email me at albert@atariage.com and I can provide you a means to upload it. :)

I watched it yesterday and it was pretty cool seeing Paul talk about the 2600 and his games and music. The person interviewing him was clueless, though, and I was cringing watching the show up to that point. Great publicity for Paul and his band, they even mentioned where he's playing tonight in Las Angeles!

..Al

Supernova comments: I figured out the whole thing, downloaded the program to download and work these video files. Super slow downloads that make the dying, decomposing, and slow Kazaa seem like light speed. Just horrible how long it takes to download these files.

Bit Torrent: That has got to be one of the most horrible programs out there. You initially save the file and then you have to unzip it(so to speak) and then download the file form supernova). Bit Torent or whatever the proper name for this program is: That was the fastes program I ever installed and uninstalled in my entire life.

Suggestions. Upload the file(send it to Atari Age) as they said they would host the video file. Make the file in mpeg, avi, or divx format then zip it. It will be much quicker to download than that dinosaur Supernova and that Timex Sinclair 1000: Bit Torrent.

Yes, I am harsh, but honest. And yes, I have high speed internet and a Pentium III computer.

I look forward to see Paul on this TV program. But I'll wait for a faster and more user freindly was of downloading it.

Atari Charles

And if you're so inclined.. Usually episodes of the Screen Savers are posted regularly in Alt.Binaries.Multimedia.  

You'll probably get your 400kb/s there Atari Charles ;)

heh i used BT and it took about 1h 30m, average was around 35kb/s on DSL

i ripped the segment out and in .asf form its 16mb unzipped

And if you're so inclined.. Usually episodes of the Screen Savers are posted regularly in Alt.Binaries.Multimedia.  

You'll probably get your 400kb/s there Atari Charles ;)

heh i used BT and it took about 1h 30m, average was around 35kb/s on DSL

i ripped the segment out and in .asf form its 16mb unzipped

Ok I downloading both via bittorent and Usenet. I don't know if they're the same file, but we'll see.

On Bittorent I'm getting a whopping 7-10kb/s. Even though I'm up to 17% of it.. I got about another estimated 4 hours. It'll probably turn out to be close to an hour or two however once more comes in.

bittorent.jpg

Usenet.. as I suspected they got some guy uploading all current Screensaver episodes there.. 9/10 included. JUST started downloading now. Getting ~400kb/s. Estimated time to completion.. about 6-8 minutes. :D

screen9_10_.jpg

Here's what I see so far though if anyone's interested.. go git 'em! :)

Congrats, Paul! It's nice to see someone deserving get some recognition now and again.

Whatever happened to the old Screensaver hosts? A year or two back, when I had access to tv, they had some guys on there who might have given Paul some more time, and treated the segment with a little more reverence/respect that I think it deserves.

It was pretty cool seeing Thrust, Marble Craze, and Homestar Runner playing on a big screen. It would have been totally rad if Paul had his keyboard controllers to show us some action with the synthcart!

Did anyone else notice how bad that host sucked at Thrust and Marble Craze? LOL! I suppose it was probably his first time picking up an Atari joystick, but still! HAH!

kbye

It was pretty cool seeing Thrust, Marble Craze, and Homestar Runner playing on a big screen.  It would have been totally rad if Paul had his keyboard controllers to show us some action with the synthcart!  

Did anyone else notice how bad that host sucked at Thrust and Marble Craze?  LOL!  I suppose it was probably his first time picking up an Atari joystick, but still!  HAH!

The Synthcart is great and you have to play around with it to really realize how cool it is. It would be great to have it set up at the Atari Age booths at any of the classic gaming conventions, but then, there is usually so much noise that it's unlikely you would be able to hear anything.

Thrust and Marble Craze are diffiicult games, so I would give the host some slack. And both games are brilliant and are must haves.

Bit Torrent is about as good as an Apple II's sound effects. Yes, that crappy. Actually Bit Torrent is as good of a program as General Custer from Custer's Revenge is a gentleman. Seriously Bit Torrent absolutely sucks to the highest degree. Supernova equally sucks.

With that said, is anyone going to post or send to Atari Age the video file of this show in a more usuable and stable format like(avi, mpeg, quicktime).

I'd post it if I had it but I don't.

Looking forward to watching the show.

I can't say that I'm any kind of technocrat, but I had absolutley no problem with BitTorrent. It took something like 90 minutes to download the whole show, and it all went off without a hitch.

I'm not saying that you guys are wrong about disliking BitTorrent, I just wanted to say that I had absolutely no problems with it, even though I've only ever used it once before.

Totally worth seeing Paul BTW. It was a good interview, all things considered. I'm just glad that a mainstream television source is interested enough in modern Atari to discuss it at all, let alone fly Paul in to speak.

hey guys, thanks for posting the video.

That guy that interviewed was actually a really nice guy. He seemed genuinely interested in the homebrew Atari stuff even if he didn't know a whole lot about it. I talked to him some before and after the show too.

Everybody I met at G4 was nice and laid back. One guy there that I had emailed a bit before brought his Synthcart for me to sign. And a couple of them came to see our band on Saturday.

I even had my own dressing room w/ my name on it! haha ;)

Anyway, it was great to get to plug Atariage and talk about the homebrew community.

-paul

I would say it would be even easier for everyone to try to watch the next air date: 9/13/2004 12pm ET / 9am PT  

http://www.g4techtv.com/screensavers/episo...brew_Games.html

And I will finally get to see it this time, since I get out of work at 10pm.

I see that nobody else pointed this out. 12pm is noon and not midnight. So if you are home at noon you can watch it. You can tell because it's 12pm et and 9am pt.

-mike

Just watch the video. :D

Hey Paul, you Rock :thumbsup:

Your primary school works remind me the times when I spent hours at school to work on my C64 games and write / draw such pages... sweet memories.

Thanks for the show, I hope to see you into another one. ;)

BTW, Any video about your band ?