IGNORED

A 65 XE with expansion port?

Zybex

Hmm, yes, it is not prototype. First series of 65XE was without expansion port... Lately, Atari reduced cost and making one piece of board: 130XE. At last, Atari rename 65XE model (for Europe) to Atari 800XE, wchich are that same that A65XE with expansion port. It's all.

:roll:  

Are you sure...??

Because this is a NTSC Version, not PAL.

Yes, We are sure. Hmm, NTSC or PAL version is no problem - board is the same. I think, that for NTSC machine Atari do not use 800XE code (NTSC was Atari 800 and Atari 800XL, very popular. So, 800XE is not good idea for USA...).

• 6 years later...

Bumping this thread to ask a question.

Beamer gave my mate Bob a 65XE (mega thanks again) and it has this expansion port on it, reading this thread it says newer 65's used a 130XE board with less ram. So I have two small questions, firstly, was anything ever made for the expansion port (I thought I had a good knowledge but have to admit I don't remember expansion ports on these) and lastly, because its a different board on these 65XE's are there any compatibility issues / different chips etc known for them?

This is purely for me wondering, I'd imagine it will run just about everything anyway, he's not had a chance to play with it yet due to his wifes ill health, also he needs to pick up a video cable from me and his Aspeqt lead to start playing but I doubt that's going to happen until his wife's health is settled.

If it's got the full ECI port, like the 130xe (European 65xes do) then theres quite a few expansion devices for it.

The IDE Plus 2.0, for one..

It was a Euro one so I expect its the full port.

Not sure he will ever use the port to be honest, was more for me knowing more about it.

Cheers MetalGuy.

So how "rare" are the 65XE's without the expansion port? My NTSC 65XE doesn't have it. Never even thought about it since it has all the "normal" ports for an Atari. :D

US 65XE's dont have an ECI port... so for 65XE's they are common... among A8's total, they are uncommon, but then most people would usualy prefer a 800XL or 130XE for a main use machine, but if you dont plan on using any PBI/ECI devices, they make decent machines to own as they are functionally the same as a 800XL but have newer components...

finding one isnt hard, as B&C sells them NIB... $95 for US and $75 for Mexico (same as US but with spanish docs IIRC)

sloopy.

Are you NTSC-type television in Chile?

8-chip (memory) NTSC 65XE's were nearly all without expansion ports.

2-chip (memory) NTSC 65XE's all (AFAIK) HAD expansion ports (and are very easy to upgrade to be 130XE's).

Nearly ALL PAL 65XE's had expansion ports. (but I've never had/seen one.)

-Larry

8) Well, i buy a 65 XE Computer with "expansion port", like a 130XE. I want to know if this model really exist, or is a prototype.. or a fake ....

:? :?

Thanks people,

This 'bad' GTIA chip, can you guys give me some problems on programs it causes please?

There are a few demos and games that will not work correctly with the "bad" GTIA. However from my understanding the number is small and for day to day use it shouldn't give you any issues. I'm currently debating if I should replace the GTIA in both a 65XE (PAL) and a 800XE. Not sure the wrok is worth the result.

The impression I have is that all the bad GTIAs don't display any GTIA mode properly, so the effect will be much more widespread.

But, the bad batch supposedly wasn't to a broad market, it seems to be more a Eastern Euro thing.

Also, I'd tend to agree with Larry's description of ECI/non ECI distribution - a reason the ECI equipped were less common in the US is probably due to the 130XE being so cheap by the time the 130XE motherboard was used in both machines.

I'll have to test some software on my 65Xe and 800XE and see what results I get. I was talking to Mr-Atari about this a couple days ago and he indicated that the range of software that would have an issue is small.

Being that I have multiple other machines, and the notorious build quality of the XE board I'm not sure i want to go about replacing chips, bad or otherwise.

Thanks for the info re the bad GTIA, I'd appreciate any more feedback on this that comes up, I can't imagine its a huge issue, surely it was soak tested against the current stock of XL games before release? (well a good portion of them)

The impression I have is that all the bad GTIAs don't display any GTIA mode properly, so the effect will be much more widespread.

But, the bad batch supposedly wasn't to a broad market, it seems to be more a Eastern Euro thing.

Also, I'd tend to agree with Larry's description of ECI/non ECI distribution - a reason the ECI equipped were less common in the US is probably due to the 130XE being so cheap by the time the 130XE motherboard was used in both machines.

the most likely reason 65XE's with ECI are so uncommon in the US is, it was the very last run of 65XE's. The 65XE without the ECI, probably took a long time to sell, as commonly a 65XE was $99, and the 130XE was $150 Then they dropped to like $80 and $100, so there wasnt much reason to upgrade to a 65XE, as alot of people already had a 800XL, and a 65XE would give less expansion options... the only real 'feature' it gave you was, it had newer components...

I know at the local Atari Store I would go to, they usually only had 5-6 130XE's in stock, but like 50-60 65XE's which they had since its release when they ordered 100 of them... in xmas '90 i bought my brother a 65XE and it was like $80-$90, and i can rem i bought him 2-3 games for the price diff of the 130XE...

sloopy.