IGNORED

Best/Worst early 2600 game (1977-1981)

King Atari

I think for the earliest VCS games, Video Olympics is up there. I mean cmon.. oodles of PONG all in one nifty little cartridge.. who needed a dedicated pong console anymore?

I don't know.. but I've also kind of always have been partial to "Bowling". Circus Atari is another goodie as well as Indy500 (if you could afford the big box with the controllers)

I liked Space Wars too.. but what was with that football-field-green background? This was supposed to be SPACE! My brother and I used to turn the brightness of our tv all the way down to get that blackness of space in there properly.

oh who knows.. obviously I have problems picking a best...

The worst? Basic Math and Slot Machine and some honors have to go to Starship

I'm sure I'm the only person who'll say this, but I didn't think Star Ship was all that bad. Now, it wasn't great, and it'll never make any top ten lists, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the worst.

For best, I'd have to say Video Olympics. This one is still amung the top ten lists for me. Sure, it's not technically amazing, but four player mode is a total winner. I'd also have to put in a mention for Sky Diver... I've always liked this kind of game.

As for worst... well, I've never liked sports games, so Football and Baseball were never my bag... Street Racer kinda sucked too... And we all know about Pacman...

--Zero

Hey guys, I was not a huge Adventure fan either. I mean, I liked the concept, but the flickering and invisible levels and that !@#$ bat always drove me away. Of course, I was a kid then, into action arcade games more. I think I appreciate Adventure more now.

I also like the concept of Superman but could never play the game for long.

I think my favorite early games were Combat (am I weird? We loved to play this game against each other!) and Missile Command.

Best - i'd say keystone kapers (no surprise there huh?)

I do like Adventure though, I imagine - somewhere deep down in the basic code of Zelda 64 lurks adventure

Worst - um - Air,Sea Battle was a naff half-brother to combat and Dodge-em now props the cartridges down in my NES.

Still favs:

Dodge Em (gets lots of play on game nights)

Superman (as has been stated a million times)

Combat (Dude, its combat, of course its cool. Shame I have about 3 billion copies...)

Maze Craze (fun for a while)

Still Sucks:

Hangman (god I hate this game!)

Codebreaker (eeew!)

Graphics are not everything: Look at the Pac phenomena.

Cassidy

• 11 years later...

Love the necro-bumps :)

I'm surprised this thread doesn't have many votes for Berzerk in it. For me, Defender and Berzerk are the best of the early titles but there are a great many others that come close.

For the bad there's Basic Math, Slot Machine, Space War, Basic Programming, Street Racer, etc. I know Pac-Man disappointed a lot of people, but it's phenomenal compared to many of the early games. I for one love it.