IGNORED

Why are you a jaguar fan?

sega saturn x

Besides saturn and maybe people who got dooped in to getting a cd>i. Jaguar fan have gotten very hosed from atari and ridicule from other gamers. And i know how hard it is to defen a dead or failing system. So why do you guys stick with the jag? I know why ive stuck with my saturn i always loved the rich earthy textures of most saturn 3-d games. And the saturn has games you just cant find any thing like on another system like nights or guardian heros. Thats my reason for defending a a failure whats yours?

My reason for getting a Jaguar was that it was made by Atari. That's all I cared about at first. But then I saw some screen shots of an early version of Aliens vs. Predator, and I just had to have it. Plus, I heard that Tempest was supposed to be remade by the guy who created Trip-a-tron and Llamatron on the Amiga. And it was supposed to connect to a Lynx for use as a controller, which would have been extra cool if it had come to pass.

You guys OBVIOUSLY haven't ready the "sticky" Post at the top of this (Jaguar) forum. I has all the specifications and chips and their bit-ness etc. One of the first "next generation" systems is always going to be the least powerful by the time all the console manufacturers throw in their next-gen system. It compares quite well to the 3DO that came out about the same time and it really isn't too far behind the Saturn and PSX in many areas, maybe even better.

All I know is I had a next-gen system with some killer-apps like AvP, T2K and Iron Soldier and the best (at the time) versions of Wolfenstein 3D&Doom while most others were still playing the 16-bit systems which really were outdated at the time, the technology had been around for years with the Amiga, Mac and Atari ST computers. That's why I got it originally. That and I already owned other Atari products that I liked, so it wasn't a gamble for me. I'm a fanboy (of Atari) for good reason, I wouldn't be if I thought the systems were poor. But I also don't have tunnelvision, I like Sega and others too.

The last reason is I like to be different and own something that no one else or very few people have. I figure why should I buy the system that millions of people own, many of whom are friends and I can play those systems anyway. I have something special when I go home, for myself and others who come over. It's the majority that's missing out from my perspective, I get the best of everything while they condemn themselves to one console and always playing the same games millions fo others play.

I'm an Atari Jaguar fanboy because I love Atari video games, computers and consoles. I love T2k, Cyber/Battlemorph, AVP, MC3D, Wolf and Doom, Raiden, Iron Soldier 1/2, Cannon Fodder, D2k, Burnout, Syndicate, Highlander, HS:UL, Blue Lightning and a few others. I even really enjoy Kasumi Ninja and Club Drive. The Jaguar is also one of the coolest looking consoles ever made and the pro controller is a great gamepad. Throw in the VLM and my Jaguar has brought me many hours of gaming joy.

Hi !

It seems hard to beleive the jags 64 bit dosent it just have a 64 bit sound chip?

Actually, if the Jag is 64-bit or not, highly depends on the point of view I would say. Some people say, a system is only 64-bit if all components are 64-bit. Other say, it's already 64-bit if all *important* components are 64-bit. However what is important and what not seems to depends on the point of view as well.

The Jag has got a 64-bit Object Processor that is responsible for graphics display and a 64-bit blitter and of course those also have 64-bit memory access.

Then there is a 32-bit GPU (with 64-bit memory access) and a 32-bit DSP

and a MC 68000.

However this whole "bit issue" is highly overrated anyway. It doesn't mean as much as people think. The thing that gives video game systems power is usually the graphic hardware or the CPU or other custom hardware.

Regards, Lars.

You guys OBVIOUSLY haven't ready the "sticky" Post at the top of this (Jaguar) forum. I has all the specifications and chips and their bit-ness etc.  

What EXACTLY are you talking about (link?) all I am seeing as a sticky is "Show me your collection" and "How to fix a jag when the wrong psu is used" and that doesn't have the specs in it either.

I am really not looking for the specs, nor do I care, but you should double check things before you bitch at people.

I think many people have a hard time thinking the jag is 64 bit whean alot of the games look like 32X games and just dont compare to alot of psx or saturn games. But the biggest reason is the n64 which and theirs no argueing that all the games do look much much better.

Duh the N64 has the ability to do 3D with ease it has newer hardware than the Jag. The Jag is designed to do 2D :roll: You can't compare a 386SX to a 486DX! I'm sorry Jag walks all over the 32x, I have one the video is crap the viode play back from the x1 CDROM is the crap and you can't network any games like the Jag (DOOM, Battle Sphere and Air cars!)

Who is this sega saturn x any way? :?

I agree, the 32X performance wise is a real dog. Jaguar DOOM vs. 32x DOOM....roflmao. No contest....

The 32x is probably the worst thing Sega ever did, and if you need a good example of a craptacular library that made no sense, look no further than that machine. How about a version of Space Harrier that wasn't even as impressive as the much older, and already established Space Harrier II for the mother ship Genesis? Even though the 32x did churn out updated and smoother running versions of both Virtual Fighter and Virtua Racing(deluxe)....that library overall was a complete disaster. I mean, the 32x games make the Jaguar library look phenomenal.

Also, I want to add, it's simply not fair to compare the Jaguar with PSX and Saturn, as the Jaguar was released a couple years prior to those machines. The Jaguar does deserve some credit for pioneering 3D video games on a home console, albeit they weren't spectacular in retrospect. Some of them are pretty fun though, I still like I-War, and it suffers from some problems that even console 3D games STILL suffer from today...such as poor camera control. Jaguar takes entirely too much heat for its generally poor 3D efforts, when it was the only machine really attempting to take console gaming to that next level. Iron Soldier is a good example of a game that opened gamers eyes to the wonders of 3D...I know personally, after buying this game when it was released, I was stunned and thought: "this 3D stuff is awesome".

I should have made this clearer i was not compareing the 32X and the jags library. Also you have to admit some 32X games are on jag level like vf and raceing also star wars arcade looks awsome. All i was saying is it is just hard to think of the jag as a 64 bit system. That was it i just said saturn and psx becaue they were both 32 bit. Im sorry if i pissed off any jag fan boys.

Hello Guys!!!

Just to make things clear on this topic... If you think that the Jag doesn´t look like a 64 bit machine, try to figure the Intellivision as a 16 bit machine?! Yes... Intellivision has a 16 bit processor. But is a primitive processor. You can´t compare the intellivision with a Genesis for example. Too many years beetwen then. Just like the jag. You can´t compare the N64 processors with Jag´s, because some years in the electronics industry make a big diference in performance.

Hello Guys!!!

Just to make things clear on this topic... If you think that the Jag doesn´t look like a 64 bit machine, try to figure the Intellivision as a 16 bit machine?! Yes... Intellivision has a 16 bit processor. But is a primitive processor. You can´t compare the intellivision with a Genesis for example. Too many years beetwen then. Just like the jag. You can´t compare the N64 processors with Jag´s, because some years in the electronics industry make a big diference in performance.

I agree, I did hear about the 16bit thing for Intellivision where can I get more info in this?

Back when I used to write weekly editorials, the only one that I got a bunch of mail about was the one that I wrote about the "bits" of systems and what a meaningless standard that is.

Sega pulled out the fact that they were a 16 bit system to try to prove that the 8 bit NES was underpowered. Then Nintendo released the SNES, another 16 bit system to compete with the Genesis.

Then Atari thought they could really trump the competition by skipping a generation and releasing a 64 bit processor. Which the Jag has. It can handle a 64 bit math operation, which means underneath it all, it is a 64 bit system.

People, who had all been accustomed to looking at their Genesis and thinking "twice the power of a NES" were baffled and did not see the Jaguar as "four times the power of a Genesis of SNES." That's because it wasn't. The supporting line of processors were good, but not good enough to provide graphics that were so real that you "couldn't tell if it was a movie or a game you were watching" that was promised before launch. People soured on the system because of that.

When it comes to bits though, the Atari 2600 is an 8-bit processor, as is the Odyssey 2 for that matter. The Intellivision is a 16-bit processor, as is the SNES. The Jaguar had a 64-bit processor, as did the N64. The Dreamcast had a 128 bit processor and so does the PS2.

As what may come as a surprise, the Xbox uses 64-bit processors. The successor to the Xbox is also rumored to use 64-bit processors. Personally, I feel that my Xbox is graphically superior to my Jaguar and my N64... but I digress.

So now that I'm done ranting, why am I a Jaguar fan?

I bought my Jaguar because I wanted something more powerful and I had always wanted the Jaguar specifically ever since reading an article in 1993 about it. I had never seen the console in Milwaukee, so I played my SNES, hoping it would soon be released.

In about 1996, we got the Internet and I found out that the Jaguar had indeed been released, and by the time I found out it was already dead. I purchased one and so did one of my good friends, and we bought about 10 games between the two of us.

After playing the games, I didn't really get what the big deal was so I put it aside. I tried it again a few days later, and started to fall in love with Tempest 2000 and Super Burnout. This led to me starting to make contributions to Jaguar Intactive (The FIRST one) and I found a tight-knit community of fans that just enjoyed playing this system. Since then, I have purchased just about every game I could and I still play them rather regularly. I think that the library overall is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, and I love picking up and playing Zool 2, Rayman, Iron Soldier 2, Tempest 2000, Protector and many other games for it. There are some duds that I won't play much at all, but I enjoy the collection now.

So, the main reason is because of community. You don't get a community of fans and friends for many other consoles like you do with the Jaguar.

You guys OBVIOUSLY haven't ready the "sticky" Post at the top of this (Jaguar) forum. I has all the specifications and chips and their bit-ness etc.  

What EXACTLY are you talking about (link?) all I am seeing as a sticky is "Show me your collection" and "How to fix a jag when the wrong psu is used" and that doesn't have the specs in it either.

I am really not looking for the specs, nor do I care, but you should double check things before you bitch at people.

Click here

It used to be a sticky but I took it down a couple of months ago.

You have to understand just how many people come up with this crazy crap that is so far from the truth that it's laughable. It got old many years ago.