IGNORED

High Score Club Week 25: Marauder

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

Your space ship lands on the planet, and you quietly sneak into the air duct of the enemy base. You ready your sidearm, knowing that each corner may hide a robot just waiting to blast you. Your mission is to find the reactor core and destroy it before time runs out... remember, speed is important, because you are the Marauder!

Game Information
Left Difficulty Not Applicable
Right Difficulty Not Applicable
Game Mode Game 4 - Extra Fast Robots
Chosen By The Random Number Generator

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Sunday, September 26th at midnight (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

In case you don't have the ROM for this game, it can be found at the AtariAge Profile Page for this game. You can also find such things as a typed copy of the manual, reviews, screenshots, and other information there.

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a reply saying so, and I'll add you to the list!

Next week's game will be chosen by Max-T! Please send me a Private Message letting me know which game (and difficulty settings) you've chosen as soon as possible Max-T!

High Scores:

• goldfuji.gif99,980 (ToddRogers)
[+12]
[*]silverfuji.gif95,470 (keilbaca) [+10]
[*]bronzefuji.gif41,990 (the 5th ghost) [+8]
[*]31,810 (Ze_ro) [+7]
[*]23,650 (Goochman) [+6]
[*]22,190 (Keir) [+5]
[*]14,290 (elviticus) [+4]
[*]11,860 (khryssun) [+3]
[*]11,440 (sku_u) [+2]
[*]11,150 (therealred5) [+1]
[*]8570 (chadtower)
[*]4040 (tin)
  • :
    (Default Settings)
    • 39,390 (Chris Cavanaugh)
      [*]14,270 (Ron Corcoran)
      [*]12,000 (Stephen Knox)

Best Tips:

Score Statistics
  • Average Score: 36,649
    [*]Std. Deviation: 10,180
    [*]Total Score: 476,440

Current Standings
[*]the 5th ghost [172]
[*]Jeffy Arensmeyer [167]
[*]sku_u [95]
[*]keilbaca [85]
[*]Ze_ro [83]
[*]jedijeff [69]
[*]Malc74 [50]
[*]Stingray [48]
[*]Chris++ [44]
[*]Fellow Atari Man [41]
[*]Saldo [39]
[*]Keir [31]
[*]Shannon [28]
[*]tin [28]
[*]bobafett07728 [27]
[*]KaeruYojimbo [24]
[*]bjk7382 [24]
[*]stayrunner [24]
[*]cuteycat2 [23]
[*]Robert M [23]
[*]NintendoDieScreaming [23]
[*]taxman [23]
[*]khryssun [21]
[*]crsdawg [20]
[*]Numan [19]
[*]homerwannabee [17]
[*]The 8th Passenger [17]
[*]Goochman [17]
[*]gospeedde [17]
[*]Tsukasa [15]
[*]HermChase [13]
[*]NovaXpress [12]
[*]Kurushimi [12]
[*]Christophero Sly [12]
[*]kemsted [10]
[*]Thomas Jentzsch [9]
[*]elviticus [9]
[*]LarcenTyler [7]
[*]dykesr [7]
[*]mikeftrevino [7]
[*]NE146 [7]
[*]EricDeLee [6]
[*]Paul Slocum [6]
[*]StanJr [5]
[*]DeV0 [4]
[*]128bytes [3]
[*]therealred5 [3]
[*]BlackAtarian [3]
[*]maibock [2]
[*]Sora [2]
[*]chrisbid [1]
[*]vb_master [1]
[*]InanimateCarbonRod [0]
[*]Kepone [0]
[*]shining slade [0]
[*]Saikyo [0]
[*]Dan Iacovelli [0]
[*]Scooterb23 [0]
[*]Gamemaster_ca_2003 [0]
[*]moycon [0]
[*]gamerz [0]
[*]video game addict [0]
[*]LU8 [0]
[*]fsuinnc [0]
[*]iguana [0]
[*]Luigi301 [0]
[*]davepesc [0]
[*]Albert [0]
[*]pmpddytim [0]
[*]karnov [0]
[*]pitfallaimee [0]
[*]Happy_Dude [0]
[*]Kialan [0]
[*]xmetalhedx [0]
[*]Gateway [0]
[*]Adrian M [0]
[*]intvgene [0]
[*]ScottHuggins [0]
[*]jeepnut24 [0]
[*]figgler [0]
[*]sabeen557 [0]
[*]Old_Atarian [0]
[*]hobbles [0]
[*]liquid_sky [0]
[*]RadioFSoftware [0]
[*]Spirantho [0]
[*]johnnywc [0]
[*]AcidTone [0]
[*]FireTiger [0]
[*]PaulEMoz [0]
[*]BigFairy321 [0]
[*]atari_wizard [0]
[*]Xot [0]
[*]lost child [0]
[*]Bunsen [0]
[*]chadtower [0]
[*]Big Player [0]

Standings are current as of the beginning of this week,
and do NOT include points from this week's game. If
you think there has been a mistake in any of the
scoring, please contact me.

Member List
Max-T, adams_ale, gamerz, Christophero Sly, Trooper, Nateo, homerwannabee, lost child, Happy_Dude, video game addict, Spirantho, bobafett07728, mikeftrevino, Paul Slocum, fsuinnc, Gamemaster_ca_2003, Robert M, DeV0, Gateway, Mendon, Fretwobbler, PaulEMoz, killersquirel, shining slade, chadtower, gospeedde, stayrunner, Big Player, Swingtown, Chris++, hotpants, hobbles, taxman, Ze_ro, maibock, moycon, somePUNK, Saldo, Stingray, Kepone, xmetalhedx, chrisbid, Kialan, Jeffy Arensmeyer, Keir, ToddRogers, Numan, iguana, LU8, jeepnut24, Albert, Tsukasa, Adrian M, dykesr, EricDeLee, Thomas Jentzsch, The 8th Passenger, the 5th ghost, Bunsen, atari_wizard, jedijeff, davepesc, maximebeauvais, buzzguy, bjk7382, khryssun, HermChase, wiz21mx, karnov, Goochman, NE146, keilbaca, vb_master, Sora, Malc74, sabeen557, 128bytes, Kurushimi, Fellow Atari Man, liquid_sky, InanimateCarbonRod, Krazy_kamino, pmpddytim, cuteycat2, kemsted, Xot, Scooterb23, elviticus, Dan Iacovelli, LarcenTyler, RadioFSoftware, sku_u

Scoring Points in MarauderKilling a robot will give you 50 points.
[*]The bonus meter starts at 3200 points and drops 20 points per tick.
[*]Destroying the reactor will award you with whatever bonus is left on your meter.
[*]Every second reactor you destroy will award you with an extra life. Although only three lives will be displayed at a time, you may have many more.
  • - Presumably after 99,990

Hints and Tips
As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well no problem, because AtariAge has a typed copy of the manual available online right over here.

What's that? You're too damn lazy to click that link? Well, that's fine, because there aren't any hints in the manual anyways!
(the manual)
Tips:

-Don't bother to shoot the enemies, you spend less time dodging them and getting to the center core room and shoot the thing. You can walk through the enemies, its just the bullets that hurts you.

-Turn invincible if you run into it, but if you don't run into it before you get to the core room, just blast the core room. You'll waste more time searching for the invincibility (and a greater risk to get killed) than to just search for the core room.

-Quick reflexes. This game is all about quick reflexes, being the enemies appear only when they are close to you, you gotta be quick.

-When you start a game, press reset until you end up starting in the core room, shoot the core, and you got yourself an easy 1k at the beginning of the game, almost to an extra life already.

-You run as fast as the bullets. So don't be afraid to run away from them and turn into a different direction when you can to avoid the bullets.

-When you shoot, you can reset your shot by pressing the fire button, so you don't have to wait for the bullet to go all the way to the end of the screen to fire again. Just don't hold in the fire button, or else you'll be shooting a couple pixels in front of you the whole time.

-Only two enemy bullets can be on the screen at a time, use that to your advantage.

-After you die, for example, if you die facing up, for that short period that you die, you can still fire up.

(keilbaca)
The playfield is 3x2... so when you go down and down again, you just go back to the top. its Kinda like this:

XXX
XXX

Those are the rooms.
(keilbaca)
Anyway, here are a few tips (and I apologise if I'm just repeating what Keilbaca has already said) :-

Keep Moving - Never stay still for a second, this includes at the start of each level and after every restart. Sit still and you'll have a bunch of robots descend on you.

Be Methodical - As Keilbaca has already said, there are only six rooms so it shouldn't take you long to find the reactor. Search the three rooms in the row you start on, then move up (or down, it doesn't matter) and search the three rooms on the other row. If you charge around at random there's the chance you'll continually miss the reactor room.

The Reactor Room - I've found that if you charge straight in from the left or right entrance one of robots will pick you off more often than not. Instead, the best course of action if you're coming in from the left or right hand side is to immediately go down, round the pillar in the corner and fire diagonally up towards the reactor.

You get tons of extra lives (after every second reactor you destroy) so if everything clicks you can really start to rack up the points (especially if you restart in or next to the reactor room several times in a row).

(Malc74)

Good luck everyone!

--Zero

Wee, 1st score, 15760

Tips:

-Don't bother to shoot the enemies, you spend less time dodging them and getting to the center core room and shoot the thing. You can walk through the enemies, its just the bullets that hurts you.

-Turn invincible if you run into it, but if you don't run into it before you get to the core room, just blast the core room. You'll waste more time searching for the invincibility (and a greater risk to get killed) than to just search for the core room.

-Quick reflexes. This game is all about quick reflexes, being the enemies appear only when they are close to you, you gotta be quick.

-When you start a game, press reset until you end up starting in the core room, shoot the core, and you got yourself an easy 1k at the beginning of the game, almost to an extra life already.

Well that's about it, this game is very fun, this is the 1st time playing it for me but its very close to berzerk so all you berzerk fans should enjoy this game very much. Expect much higher scores from me soon :D

post-4191-1095670981_thumb.jpg

Whoops, forgot a couple more tips :)

-You run as fast as the bullets. So don't be afraid to run away from them and turn into a different direction when you can to avoid the bullets.

-When you shoot, you can reset your shot by pressing the fire button, so you don't have to wait for the bullet to go all the way to the end of the screen to fire again. Just don't hold in the fire button, or else you'll be shooting a couple pixels in front of you the whole time :P

I hate posting like this but there isn't an edit button and i keep running into more tips

-Only two enemy bullets can be on the screen at a time, use that to your advantage.

-After you die, for example, if you die facing up, for that short period that you die, you can still fire up.

OK Last tip (I think :P )

The playfield is 3x2... so when you go down and down again, you just go back to the top. its Kinda like this:

XXX

XXX

Those are the rooms.

OK i'm done, I think... Wait, might as well post my latest score as well.

Oh btw, I definitely see this game being maxed out by several people, so play your best!

post-4191-1095680771_thumb.jpg

Hmm, veeeeery frustrating I think. I especially "like" how the robots can shoot through walls sometimes, and the way they seem to swarm your start point and kill you 2.6 picoseconds after the game starts.

Anyway, after the first few games my best score is a dismal 9820. I actually got to about 9750 with 3 lives left and lost the lot in the space of about 5 seconds.

This one is going to need lots of patience (and a hefty contribution to the swearbox) methinks.

This game is very annoying. However, I did manage to increase my score to 37990 and only said 47 swear words while I was playing.

Anyway, here are a few tips (and I apologise if I'm just repeating what Keilbaca has already said) :-

Keep Moving - Never stay still for a second, this includes at the start of each level and after every restart. Sit still and you'll have a bunch of robots descend on you.

Be Methodical - As Keilbaca has already said, there are only six rooms so it shouldn't take you long to find the reactor. Search the three rooms in the row you start on, then move up (or down, it doesn't matter) and search the three rooms on the other row. If you charge around at random there's the chance you'll continually miss the reactor room.

The Reactor Room - I've found that if you charge straight in from the left or right entrance one of robots will pick you off more often than not. Instead, the best course of action if you're coming in from the left or right hand side is to immediately go down, round the pillar in the corner and fire diagonally up towards the reactor.

You get tons of extra lives (after every second reactor you destroy) so if everything clicks you can really start to rack up the points (especially if you restart in or next to the reactor room several times in a row).

post-4591-1095715178_thumb.jpg

By the way, I never heard from Luigi301, and he seems to have disappeared from the board sometime in august, so this game was picked by the Random Number Generator. It's actually amung my favorite unsung classics really... very fun game. I finally got around to giving it a go today, and got 31,810.

--Zero

Wow, where is everyone this week? I've been a bit busy with some other stuff, but c'mon guys... Marauder is an undiscovered classic. Give it a try and you might find out that you really like it. Plus, with only 7 scores on the board, here's a chance to get an easy couple of points!

--Zero

Wow, where is everyone this week? I've been a bit busy with some other stuff, but c'mon guys... Marauder is an undiscovered classic. Give it a try and you might find out that you really like it. Plus, with only 7 scores on the board, here's a chance to get an easy couple of points!

--Zero

I've been trying it never got a good enough score though.

--Zero

I've been trying it never got a good enough score though.

Any score at all would be good enough for 8th place and 3 point at the moment. :)

It really is disturbingly quiet this week...