IGNORED

Hack of Coleco's Venture: Level 3 implememted!

batari

:ponder:

Yes!  This one is easy, just a single byte.  I'll do this in the next version I post here, hopefully in a few days.

708539[/snapback]

How about changing the image of the little hallmonsters and animating them just like the arcade version. And also how about improving the image of the large hallmonster and having the ability to shot and destroy him. Surely shortly after he would re-appear and come at you even faster.

:ponder:

Yes!  This one is easy, just a single byte.  I'll do this in the next version I post here, hopefully in a few days.

708539[/snapback]

How about changing the image of the little hallmonsters and animating them just like the arcade version. And also how about improving the image of the large hallmonster and having the ability to shot and destroy him. Surely shortly after he would re-appear and come at you even faster.

887133[/snapback]

The "easy" way:

batari's 8k version could be changed into a 16k version...where the 2 other banks hold alternate GFX for anything. Really wasteful, but it should work OK. I'm stumped on how to accomplish it without all that redundancy :(

BTW the hall monsters are invincible in the arcade game. Giving the ability to kill them would just make the game easier ;)

The "easy" way:

batari's 8k version could be changed into a 16k version...where the 2 other banks hold alternate GFX for anything.  Really wasteful, but it should work OK.  I'm stumped on how to accomplish it without all that redundancy :(

888379[/snapback]

There's probably a way to do it by reorganizing everything, but it would be a lot of work. I did double up the 8k into 16k a while back, though, but only animated the hall monsters. perhaps someone wants to go in and animate the rest of the beasties by changing the graphics in the alternate banks?

Venture3_16k.zip

There's probably a way to do it by reorganizing everything, but it would be a lot of work.  I did double up the 8k into 16k a while back, though, but only animated the hall monsters.  perhaps someone wants to go in and animate the rest of the beasties by changing the graphics in the alternate banks?

888806[/snapback]

Hey, why not go to 32K and use four-frame animation for all the monsters? 32K doesn't cost any more than 16K these days.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...

There's probably a way to do it by reorganizing everything, but it would be a lot of work. I did double up the 8k into 16k a while back, though, but only animated the hall monsters. perhaps someone wants to go in and animate the rest of the beasties by changing the graphics in the alternate banks?

Done: Venture3animated.bin

9 years later. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Another option for 32k would be to have the treasures change on levels 4-7.

Here's a sample 16k version with new treasures:

`

venture3newtreasures.bin

Seems like a cheap but effective way to reward the player for making it to level 4 and beyond.

Of course, it's another massive waste of memory to change a few bytes. :)

Edited by CDS Games

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just tried the first 8k version with animations and it doesn't flip. I don't feel they add to the gameplay, but they are a nice addition. I'm more interested in some of the other missing arcade elements like the bonus timer, disappearing walls, and music, though.

Edit: Doh. Moving walls are still there, though one thing missing from home versions is the ability to shoot them.

Edited by BrianC

I think the first two level 8k on this page that Nukey Shay posted is the one that didn't roll. I haven't tried the other 8k animated ones.

Edit: Actually, I think it was the second one I tried since it mentions that the first has bugs.

Edit 2: It seems the second 8k one definitely lacks the flipping, so it started with the 16k version Batari posted.

Edited by BrianC
  • Like 1

Yeah that second 8k is a nice version. Nukey did the animations on those so no need to redo the wheel aside from a few tweaks. (the Intellivision Venture is animated and has about the same resolution as the Atari so it's a good model to work from.)

Hm...so I guess next step is to add level 3 to that.

• 6 months later...

Bumping this thread back up to see if there has been any more progress made with it. I've been playing and loving the heck out of Batari's third level hack, and (IMHO) the only thing it really needs is to have the third level wall and a good portion of the creature and treasure colors changed to match the arcade or ColecoVision versions. Gold walls on the third level, green hall monsters in every level, light green snakes on the first level, gold dragons on the second level, blue demons on the third level, etc. If anyone could get the wall, creature, and treasure colors sorted to match the arcade or ColecoVision version this would be pretty much perfect. :)

The only other odd thing I noticed is that there's a stray block in the Genie room on the third level that shouldn't be there, and difficulty level seems to scale a bit faster than in the original 2600 version. It seems like it skips the second play through difficulty and jumps straight to the third or fourth play through difficulty. That might be a lot harder to change than fixing the color schemes though.

• Like 1

I started hacking batari's Level 3 into the 8k version, but that was a while ago and I'm not even sure how far I got. Right now I'm in the middle of Gauntlet so no plans to work on this.

It's been a while since I looked at the code so I dunno what is feasible or not out of your suggestions, but you're definitely right, there's a whole lot of potential here.

• 3 weeks later...