IGNORED

7800 multicart - is there one?

angusjake

I believe that there was a 32-in-one 7800 cart shipped with later PAL versions of the machine. However, the 32 games on it were all 2600 games, not 7800.

Also, apparently one of the games on this cart was actually an Activision version of a game, not an Atari version (of some generic type early game like Bridge or Checkers)

Cheers!

As for a 7800-based multicart, I'm sure that one could be done with the simpler games (i.e. 32K and possibly 48K game mixtures) due to the fact that there is no extra RAM, and no bankswitching (the 32K or 48K block can be considered a contiguous block). However, the better games for the system use extra RAM, are variable sizes, and have different bankswitching methods-- all of this hardware would have to be figured out, and put onto a cart. Note also that memory usage would be a lot higher than that of a 2600 game multicart (4K games as opposed to 32-48K games)

AFAIK, the 2600 multicarts started out simple too, with 4K games (non-bankswitched). I don't know if bankswitched 2600 carts can be put on a multicart yet.

That is probably the major hurdle. I see a possibility of 48K and 32K games multi-carted without too much difficulty, but the cost is probably quite high for development.

-John K. Harvey

And some games will need a POKEY added in also. It would be a real pain to support all 7800 games.

BTW, I've made a 2600 multicart with F8, F16, and Ram capability so it is possible. A lot of work to handwire and no plans for mass production.

John

quote:

Originally posted by John Soper:

And some games will need a POKEY added in also. It would be a real pain to support all 7800 games.

BTW, I've made a 2600 multicart with F8, F16, and Ram capability so it is possible. A lot of work to handwire and no plans for mass production.

John

No kidding. The problem too is that a lot of the 1988 and later 7800 titles are either 128K or 144K so the bankswitching would be a nightmare and the costs would be high for memory and assembly.

quote:

Originally posted by Joey Kay:

I believe that there was a 32-in-one 7800 cart shipped with later PAL versions of the machine. However, the 32 games on it were all 2600 games, not 7800.

Also, apparently one of the games on this cart was actually an Activision version of a game, not an Atari version (of some generic type early game like Bridge or Checkers)

Cheers!

the 7800 multicart from atari was exactly the same, except that the label is yellow (instead of green) and says 7800 (instead of 2600).

in fact the carts are mixed up with atari & activision titles ...

sean kelly cart should have more than a megabyte of games on it .... so it shouldn't be impossible.