IGNORED

Game Not in Rarity Guide - Help!

Junie

This game I have is not in the Atariage Rarity Guide. I have a copy of Dig Dug with the copyright date of 1983 by ATARI, INC.

The closest match is the Dig Dug - Silver label 1987, this match almost has the same wording at the bottom (Under the picture) as mine. The only other Dig Dug here at Atariage the Dig Dug - Silver label 1988, the wording is not even close (let alone the copyright date) .

The closest match (Silver label 1987) has the copyright date of 1987 ATARI CORP. But mine says 1983 ATARI, INC.

What does this mean? Simply that this label is one Atariage overlooked? Perhaps it is a unknown label? Or what?

I have scanned my Dig Dug, you can see the picture of it here(The cart is colored normal Silver, but the image appears a little pink).. http://images.freepichosting.com/2001-10-3...9-38-7-7738.jpg

The closest match the Silver label 1987 is here... http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?Sof...wareLabelID=141

If anyone can tell me exactly what is going on I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Junie

We're probably going to remove most of the copyright variations from the main rarity guide. There are simply too many of them and they'd quickly clutter up the guide. However, we'll probably still track the copyright variations, just separately from the main guide. So if you go look a game, you'll be able to click on "Copyright Variations" (if there are any) and see pictures of all the various labels.

What do people think about this?

..Al

Thanks Night Phantom for letting me know. Well at least I know now my Dig Dug game has a correct year for the Atari company name.

Albert does my Dig Dug rank on rariety the same as the other Dig Dug's? Or what would you rank it?

Junie

"What do people think about this?"

It sounds like a great idea to me, that way if the copyright date isn't found newbies to collecting like me don't think they really have something

I am just curious Albert, if you are still going to do the copyright variations I'll ask - how do I go about telling Atariage about a game's copyright not found on the Rariety guide?

Junie

quote:

Originally posted by Junie:

Albert does my Dig Dug rank on rariety the same as the other Dig Dug's? Or what would you rank it?

I believe the 1987 copyright that we have on the site is one of the OShea's carts that you can buy for $2.00 (they used to be 80 cents). Therefore there are a *ton* of these floating around. The 1983 label is the original release of Dig Dug, and these are pretty common also. I have both versions, but probably scanned the 1987 cart because it's in better shape.

When we take the time to put copyright versions online separate of the main listings, we'll probably use the *initial* version of a label, and then add the later copyright variations separately (I'll probably program it so all the labels are visible on one page, the original followed by the variations. Should look pretty cool). So I'll replace the 1987 image with the 1983 image.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Junie:

It sounds like a great idea to me, that way if the copyright date isn't found newbies to collecting like me don't think they really have something

Yeah, this does come up pretty often so it'll be nice to collect and display the copyright information and labels so people can find them on the site.

I am just curious Albert, if you are still going to do the copyright variations I'll ask - how do I go about telling Atariage about a game's copyright not found on the Rariety guide?  

We have a Rarity Guide Forum for discussing issues like this, so that's a good place to ask. And you can always email us directly at editor@atariage.com . We'll probably only put copyright variations up when people send us labels so we can keep the list accurate.

..Al