IGNORED

What's the difference between 2600 and 2600jr?...

atarigamer

As far as I know, no game plays any different on a 2600 Jr. However, there are a few differences that should be noted:

1. Some 2600 Jr's are made with all three chips combined into one chip. I don't have a lot of information on this, but I think this is actually quite a bit more rare than the normal three-chip version. It doesn't play any different though.

2. The difficulty switches are on the back. What the hell is with this anyways?? I use these things, dammit! I want them right in front of me! (Yeah, I know this wasn't just for the 2600 Jr... but it also bugs me with the 4-switch Atari's)

3. As is discussed in another thread on this board, the RF cable is not attached to the system... you can disconnect it.

So, you're not missing anything if you don't have a different Atari... though I still think the heavy sixer's are the best.

--Zero

Does the 2600 JR. easily fit the different games into the game slot?

I know on my Atari Sixer and even some on my 4 Switch have problems with some carts. For example the Silver label and Red label carts are slightly larger than the other carts (Honest, compare them) and you almost have to break the cart in half to get it in, and most times it can't be done.

On my Maria (7800) I don't have any problems with any carts, they all seem to easily fit.

Any one else notice the cart sizes vary?

Junie

Besides the obvious physical and exterior differences that are easy to spot, I believe the internal board was also changed. I will not pretend at all to be knowledgeable in this area, though, so I'll have to defer to the electrical engineers here. However, it seems that it's easiest to modify a 2600 Jr. for composite and s-video output, so that lends me to believe they're different in some fashion.

..Al

The juniors and six-switchers have a 4050 buffer IC on the sync and luma lines, so the picture should be sharper than on a four-switcher. I don't notice any difference myself however.

The junior has the 3 main IC's soldered in, not socketed. Makes it kinda hard to do repairs.

John

quote:

Originally posted by Junie:

I know on my Atari Sixer and even some on my 4 Switch have problems with some carts. For example the Silver label and Red label carts are slightly larger than the other carts (Honest, compare them) and you almost have to break the cart in half to get it in, and most times it can't be done.

On my Maria (7800) I don't have any problems with any carts, they all seem to easily fit.

I have the opposite problem: My six-switcher accepts all carts easily, but my 7800 balks at the cases for my Imagic games No Escape! and Star Voyager. I've never had any trouble with Demon Attack, however, but it's easy to see why, as its casing is different. My No Escape! and Star Voyager casings have a sort of “handle”, whereas the shape of my Demon Attack cartridge resembles that of a standard Atari-made cartridge. The “handle” cartridges each have a slightly trapezoid-shaped mouth on the end that plugs in, and probably the width of the base of that trapezoid is the problem.

quote:

Originally posted by Junie:

Any one else notice the cart sizes vary?

Actually, I've had alot of problems with this... especially with Pole Position. I have to shove it in VERY hard (though it does fit), and it's like a rock trying to get it out. They all fit easily into the 2600 Jr though. (It's my heavy sixer they have a hard time fitting into)

It's mostly newer games that do this though... I've never had a text-label game be too big for the slot.

--Zero

Some Atari 2600 Jr. machines have problems with Kool Aid Man and Thunderground. The scores will not display properly. It actually makes Kool Aid Man unplayable, probably because it's triggering collisions. I noticed these when I was testing a multicart design on different Atari consoles. You can replicate the problem by running these ROMs on Stella 0.7. It must be a minor difference in the design of the TIA.

Also, this is a bit OT, but Rescue Terra I does not clear the decimal flag at startup. If the decimal flag happens to be set at startup, the game will crash. Since Atari programming specs ask you to assume that the machine starts up in a random state, this gives this game potential to not work on some consoles. But I have not found a console yet that triggers the problem.