IGNORED

E.T. makes a comeback (kind of)

Random Terrain

Check out this thread that I found today:

I have brought something unholy into Sims 2

Too bad most of them don't know that E.T. isn't as bad as they have been told. Just press the joystick button when you start to fall in a well and you will catch yourself in mid-air. There's only one button on the joystick, so it's not that difficult compared to the usual "45-move joystick/button combinations it takes to do a roundhouse kick" in other games.

Edited by Random Terrain

Check out this thread that I found today:

I have brought something unholy into Sims 2

Too bad most of them don't know that E.T. isn't as bad as they have been told. Just press the joystick button when you start to fall in a well and you will catch yourself in mid-air. There's only one button on the joystick, so it's not that difficult compared to the usual "45-move joystick/button combinations it takes to do a roundhouse kick" in other games.

THAT is funny!

I beat the game same day I got it in 82 and unlike all the rest of the Atari world I don't really hate the game, infax I kind a like it to a point. But I played the game soo much that if I fall wicth is like 99.9.9% of the game I ALWAYS stop in mid-air and move out from edar left, bottom or right side of the hole (NEVER GO TOP SIDE) and win the game. I really wicth they had more time on the game who knows. Anyway funny MB link :D

I never minded the game back in the day. I was probably 7 or 8 when our family got it. The manual was soon lost but we (my brother and I) managed to understand the game enough to play and win. I don't ever remember being confused by it. It didn't take long to learn that you should never exit the well at the north edge (assuming north is up). That's just asking for it. And there were some screens that should never be entered from a certain direction. Beyond that, the amount of falling into a well is totally dependent on the player's ability to avoid them.

Plus, the game had some great and memorable sound effects. I suppose it's popular to talk trash about the game but all this talk about it being one of the worst games ever makes me...well...:roll:.

@Random Terrain: nice site! :thumbsup:

Jason

Yo Dudes,

I just want to say that I've always kind of liked ET being officially held as the worst game of all time.

I did Yar's Revenge and that is always hailed as one of the best games of all time, so as long as ET is one of the worst games of all time I have the greatest range of any game maker in history

:D

I must say I do find it heartening to hear that the game did generate some enjoyment. That is really the reason I made them in the first place and it always feels good to me to hear that (at least in some cases) that still happened.

You made my day,

Thanks,

HSW

Yo Dudes,

I just want to say that I've always kind of liked ET being officially held as the worst game of all time.

I did Yar's Revenge and that is always hailed as one of the best games of all time, so as long as ET is one of the worst games of all time I have the greatest range of any game maker in history

:D  

I must say I do find it heartening to hear that the game did generate some enjoyment. That is really the reason I made them in the first place and it always feels good to me to hear that (at least in some cases) that still happened.

You made my day,  

Thanks,

HSW

Hey HSW! Ever thinking of doing a Special Edition ET game with say I don't know better game play and longer stage and take out ALL the HOLES for it? Not for sale but for this AtariAge rom site that why YOU wanted it look and play. Liek what Spielberg did on the film with all the GUNS takin off.

cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool coolcool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool...

However I am toying with the idea of a Yar's Revenge sequel. In fact I hvae a pretty thorough design for it already.

How does that sound?

8)  

HSW

I have heard you talk about this in a couple of different interviews and I would love to hear the design. If I remember, you idea uses a paddle (which is great, because some of the best games use the paddle)

I have thought about what it could include, but whatever it is, it has to be pretty original. 8)

I have heard you talk about this in a couple of different interviews and I would love to hear the design. If I remember, you idea uses a paddle (which is great, because some of the best games use the paddle)

I have thought about what it could include, but whatever it is, it has to be pretty original. 8)

It is totally original. It is a gameplay that I have never seen anywhere in over 20 years. I'm actually surprised no one has done it. It is a simple but fun and phrenetic play.

Naturally I can't give the details now, but we'll see what happens. It would be more compelling than Yar's in terms of fast and wild action all over the screen. And the colors and motion would be outstanding.

It's a game I'd like to play, which was my main design principle on Yar's.

8)

HSW

People just can't give ET the respect it deserves. I never thought it was a bad game. I always remembered the noise his ship made as it came down at the begining. Today, as I play it, I find it to be not that bad of a game as everyone makes it out to be. Ah well... HSW, you done good in my book.

is

It is totally original. It is a gameplay that I have never seen anywhere in over 20 years. I'm actually surprised no one has done it. It is a simple but fun and phrenetic play.

Naturally I can't give the details now, but we'll see what happens. It would be more compelling than Yar's in terms of fast and wild action all over the screen. And the colors and motion would be outstanding.

It's a game I'd like to play, which was my main design principle on Yar's.

8)  

HSW

so great to hear from you HSW, loved getting to talk with you and hear you talk about the Yar's sequel at the Philly Classic. Needless to say, this has been one of the most anticipated projects for me since then. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

sidebar: Just played Yar's last night, Game 6 of course, and got pretty far. (pink shield) What an amazing game it is.

No, I never thought of doing an update to ET.

However I am toying with the idea of a Yar's Revenge sequel. In fact I hvae a pretty thorough design for it already.

How does that sound?

8)  

HSW

Yar's sequel - YES!

ET - pretty fun, definitely played it "back in the day" quite a bit.

LOVE SABOTEUR!!

Thanks HSW!!

I always thought ET was a pretty ok game. I played it quite a lot as a kid. The sound effects were cool and I was completely amazed by the title screen with the ET face. I also remember finding the flying flower or Yar (or whatever it was) once. It drove me insane that I couldn’t for the life of me find it again. I remember I was much more disappointed with Haunted House, that I got at the same time as ET...

Yars 2 sounds excellent.... :D

I always thought E.T. was a pretty ok game. I played it quite a lot as a kid. The sound effects were cool and I was completely amazed by the title screen with the E.T. face. I also remember finding the flying flower or Yar (or whatever it was) once. It drove me insane that I couldn’t for the life of me find it again.

I wonder how many of us found that Yar and never found it again on our own:

http://abscape.org/legeek/f_et.htm

I don't mean just AtariAge members, I mean everyone out there who played the game. That bugged me for so many years and I bet there are more of us out there.

I always thought E.T. was a pretty ok game. I played it quite a lot as a kid. The sound effects were cool and I was completely amazed by the title screen with the E.T. face. I also remember finding the flying flower or Yar (or whatever it was) once. It drove me insane that I couldn’t for the life of me find it again.

I wonder how many of us found that Yar and never found it again on our own:

http://abscape.org/legeek/f_et.htm

I don't mean just AtariAge members, I mean everyone out there who played the game. That bugged me for so many years and I bet there are more of us out there.

Probably lots of people, we should start a support group :D

I was around 9 years old at the time we got E.T. for our 2600. I remember playing it quite a bit and liking it alot! I really don't understand why everyone dislikes it so much - I never got frustrated about falling into the holes.

I've been enjoying your intervew excerpts on G4TechTV lately, HSW. Every time they say how awful E.T. was, I tell my wife that I liked it and played the game alot.

Yar's Revenge has been and always will be one of my favorites. I remember as a young teenager often challenging my best friend to the most difficult game (the one in which you have travel back to the left-hand side of the screen in order to get the Zylon cannon ready). We would almost always try to hit the Quotile after turning into a swirl and while in motion for the most challenge and most points. ;) Needless to say, I'm stoked about the idea of Yar II!