IGNORED

Boing2600! update

djmips

bigboing26.zipI posted this a while back in the Stella newsgroup but here is the update to the Boing2600! demo by Kudla / Stolberg

Updates:

- Gravity

- Bigger ball graphic

- PAL60 support (Uses color/BW switch)

- A few other cosmetic tweaks

Since the bigger graphic went over the 4K limit this is an 8K bankswitched bin (sorry no Supercharger)

David Galloway

First version

bigboing26.zip

Second version- steer a little bit left/right.

- influence and even reverse gravity (up/down)

The spin and horizontal speeds are randomly changed on wall bounce.

I have also included an experimental flicker version.

AmigaBoing2_0.zip

AtariAge version

Here are all the different options using Select.

red on white.

pink/white on black flickered.

AtariAge flickered.

red on black.

Atariage white on blue.

Atariage black on white.

Note the AtariAge ball was rendered in Maya, a 3D editor often used in Movie and modern Video Game production. :)

AmigaBoing2.0_RC2.zip

Edited by djmips

This looks and sounds great! Much truer to the original in terms of the ball, physics, and sound. Reminds me of the Atari 8-bit computer version of this demo, which is one of the first demos I ever saw on an 8-bit. :)

For those who are unfamiliar with the original "Boing" demo, it was originally written for the Amiga as a demonstration of the machine's power and multi-tasking abilities. I think it's been ported to just about every computer system since then, although not very many game consoles as far as I know.

..Al

• 2 weeks later...

As an Amiga user, I must say good job on that one. It's much truer to the original Amiga demo than the first one that moved in straight lines.

There's no reason to, but if the author was looking to add any more features of the Amiga demo, one would be to have the movement spped change with button presses.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Just to add to the Amiga history.

The original Amiga version was also programmed in Amiga Basic (which I think was interpreted as opossed to compiled0 and did realtime calculations.

885639[/snapback]

Written in Basic eh? I don't think Basic was ready when the first Ball demo came out but maybe... ;-)

This one does 'realtime' calculations as well. :D

Here's the updated version BTW!

In this version (AmigaBoing2_0.bin) you can:

- steer a little bit left/right.

The final version (not this version) will have an easter egg.

enjoy...

- David

AmigaBoing2_0.zip

Edited by djmips

Yep it was written in Amiga Basic. I've seen the source code as well. It has been a while but I think it took a little while for the Amiga to "initialize" before the actual ball showed.

Anyways neat to see a 2600 version. From what I understand the atari 8-bit version was all pre-calculated movement. But it was still neat at the time.

This one does 'realtime' calculations as well.  :D

That's very cool. There's something oddly addictive about it, now that you can control it.

A couple of ideas...

- how about being able to turn gravity on/off with the fire button?

- how about making it rotate around its Z-axis, too? ;)

- could this be turned into a "game", by adding a couple of paddles on either side? Sort of an oversized Pong? (Admittedly, given the size of the ball, it would be hard to miss. But still oddly fun.)

Well, I never said they were practical ideas. :D

Wow ... very cool. I'm quite familiar with the Boing demo as it appeared on the 8-bit and ST. I like it!

Actually, a few slightly more practical ideas:

- Ability to turn on real gravity (i.e. ball loses velocity with each bounce) and then the ability to bounce the ball back up with the fire button.

- Z-gravity (i.e. ball bounces "into" the screen as though it were a top-down view). This would require scaling calculations, but all things considered it probably wouldn't be any more taxing or difficult than rotation, which is really just rotational scaling.

- Ball squishing? (ouch) Erm, no, I mean making the ball appear to compress when it hits the ground. Dunno how feasable that is...

Just to add to the Amiga history.

The original Amiga version was also programmed in Amiga Basic (which I think was interpreted as opossed to compiled0 and did realtime calculations.

885639[/snapback]

Considering the original Boing Ball demo was a demonstration for CES, before Amiga was with Commodore, before the custom chips were commited to silicon, I have some strong doubts about that. It's possible the final version with control and multitasking and whatnot was written in Amiga Basic though.

FWIW, the rotation of the ball (in the Amiga version) is done using color cycling.

Wow ... very cool.  I'm quite familiar with the Boing demo as it appeared on the 8-bit and ST.  I like it!

Actually, a few slightly more practical ideas:

- Ability to turn on real gravity (i.e. ball loses velocity with each bounce) and then the ability to bounce the ball back up with the fire button.

At one point, my reflection calculation was off by one and I was losing a little bit of velocity on each bounce. It was funny to watch the ball run out of steam.

- Z-gravity (i.e. ball bounces "into" the screen as though it were a top-down view).  This would require scaling calculations, but all things considered it probably wouldn't be any more taxing or difficult than rotation, which is really just rotational scaling.

I haven't thought of a way to do scaling in the draw loop, I don't think I have quite enough cycles. If I had a bit more RAM then it would be possible. Otherwise I would have to resort to multiple versions of the graphic at different sizes.

- Ball squishing?  (ouch)  Erm, no, I mean making the ball appear to compress when it hits the ground.  Dunno how feasable that is...

886070[/snapback]

I have this already (squash and stretch) in the draw loop but it's not turned on in this version. It uses a lot of RAM but it's kind of neat.

Edited by djmips

That's very cool. There's something oddly addictive about it, now that you can control it.

I'm sure that wears off. :)

- how about being able to turn gravity on/off with the fire button?

- how about making it rotate around its Z-axis, too? ;)

- could this be turned into a "game", by adding a couple of paddles on either side? Sort of an oversized Pong? (Admittedly, given the size of the ball, it would be hard to miss. But still oddly fun.)

I've got to do something with that fire button. Maybe a gravity switch.

The rotation is just done with animation, so rotating around the Z-axis (in/out of screen) would be a matter of generating and storing more frames of animation.

A pong game sounds fun. But it might mean living with a 30Hz flicker.

Yeah kinda wish I still had my original Amiga stuff then I could just pull it up real quick and get snapshots. It'd be kinda neat to have all the different versions that spawned out there.

I used to have the 8-bit one as well... hmmmm

A pong game sounds fun. But it might mean living with a 30Hz flicker.

886134[/snapback]

How about a game with a breakout-style paddle at the bottom of the screen, where the goal is to keep the ball airborne? I would think that when running the Boing! demo there are actually a lot of spare CPU cycles per scan line but they're in different places depending upon the ball's X position. Having two or more different versions of the kernel which could be selected based upon whether the spare cycles are nearer the start or end of the scan line might be helpful.

For the most basic breakout-style paddleball game, you wouldn't need to do much during the scan lines since your missles (use both of them, staggered 8 pixels, to make a super paddle) could be prepositioned at the start of a frame. On the other hand, if you wanted any targets for the ball to hit, those would have to be drawn sometime.

• 5 months later...

The final version (not this version) will have an easter egg.

enjoy...

- David

885914[/snapback]

This one is awesome. The ball now bends to my will! MUAHAHAHA!!!

• 1 year later...

Bump. I bumped this because I've added the AtariAge version binary in the first post.

AtariAge version

Here are all the different options using Select.

red on white.

pink/white on black flickered.

AtariAge flickered.

red on black.

Atariage white on blue.

Atariage black on white.

Note the AtariAge ball was rendered in Maya, a 3D editor often used in Movie and modern Video Game production

Binaries in this post:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...=29&t=58521

That's very cool! The AtariAge ball looks great!

I suppose you could put pretty-much any picture on there that was black and white.

Might make for an interesting custom cart/giveaway/prize thing. "Your picture on a bouncing ball, on a 2600 cart". :)

OK, Nathan, you win! Send me the picture you want spinning on the ball.