IGNORED

Heavy sixer problem.... the hole is tooooo big!

Blackjack

I fixed a jr. one time where the small clip inside the jack had gotten bent up, so the power plug would just fall out every time. All I had to do is take the small plastic piece off the side of the jack (inside the console) and bend it down until the power adapter fit tightly and didn't fall out.

Are you sure you're using the right adapter?. Looking at that picture I'd say its a 2.5mm jack instead of 3.5mm one (sorry I'm european). Try compare the plug with one of some headphones when you have one lying around. The plug should be of the same size.

The adapter should also be DC 9V, 500mA, Center tip positive (-) --C-- (+).

I've had a few that were relatively loose. As was said, inside that 3.5mm jack there are two contoured metal clips that are designed to grab on to the tapered portion of the 3.5mm plug and keep it in place. These can get bent out of shape from use, so if you get in there with a precision screwdriver or a small stick of something, you can bend them back in towards the center of the jack so that they have more "grab" and hold the plug better.

Or if you're handy with a soldering iron you can replace the jack with a new one from Radio Shack.

I'll give it a try Mindfield, I'm going to "open her up" tonight or tomorrow and see what I can do. I'm a klutz with tools so it might be a disaster :)

Blinky - I've tried numerous adapters from several versions of the 2600 including the original gray heavy sixer adapter. I've got 7 - 2600 consoles sitting on my shelf currently and this is the only one they don't fit in. So I'm going to go with the assumption that it's an actual "mechanical defect".

I'll report back after surgery :)

I fixed a jr. one time where the small clip inside the jack had gotten bent up, so the power plug would just fall out every time. All I had to do is take the small plastic piece off the side of the jack (inside the console) and bend it down until the power adapter fit tightly and didn't fall out.

Correct. I had a 4 switcher that I thought was dead. When I noticed that the jack was not making a snug fit, I did just what bjk7382 said. Problem solved. Hope that is all that it is, good luck.

Wooohooooo! Yeah Baby!!! (does a little victory dance)............

My first surgery was a success!! You guys were right, I just had to bend the clips a little.

Now here's the kicker:

I was so jazzed, I opened up a non working vader unit I have, found the rf cable was a little loose, put it back together and BAM! Working Vader!

I tell you I'm on a roll ;)

Line'em up, I'll fix'em :roll:

Congrats!  See?  A wee bit o' elbow grease and it's as good as new.  :-)

There's nothing like fixing it yourself.  I've resurrected a number of different Atari units and it's always a great feeling when I see it resurrect itself so I can play a favourite on it.  :-)

What does elbow grease have to do with it? :?