IGNORED

Using Atari 2600 on a big screen TV

trainman

We have an old Atari 2600 game system. It stills works. We have a 52" big screen TV. Can the Atari system be hooked up to that TV without damaging the TV?

We currently have a switch box for the VCR and DVD players. There is only one video input on the TV. The switch box has four input jacks.

Thanks. :)

I have a 57" HDTV widescreen TV, and, even though they warn about not hooking up game systems to it, I couldn't resist seeing what some Atari games would like like on a big screen! WOW! I plugged in Megamania, and set the TV to "panoramic" view, to give kind of a wrap-around effect, and it was a whole new experience! I think that, in short sessions, hooking your Atari up to your proj TV probably won't hurt anything. It's when static images stay on the screen for long periods of time that you can cause damage or burn-in.

I have played every system I have on a big screen and no problems. Have a 52 inch Panasonic in the basement, and I have even played Pong on it. Dont worry about it. I fix arcades that have been on for years and still have no burn. Turn the brightness down if you are really worried, and no marathon games on Pitfall, you should be fine :)

Cassidy

Is it even possible for Atari games to cause burn-in? I would think all the flickering would prevent that. Sometime when I really feel like messing around, I will connect it to my 32" plasma and see how it looks :D

It is not the flickering images that would burn, it would be the stationary parts of the screen, such as the maze on a game like Pac-Man, that would burn.

Most 2600 games seem to periodically change the screen colors when you aren't playing.  Was this to prevent burn-in on the old style projection TVs?  Whatever the reason, it seems most games are already programmed to be safe against burn-in.

if I remember right, you just hit the nail right on the head -- the games were programmed to change colors so that no burn-in would occurr. I believe that burn-in wasn't just a problem with projection TVs, but most (if not all) of the old television sets, too.

Most 2600 games seem to periodically change the screen colors when you aren't playing.  Was this to prevent burn-in on the old style projection TVs?  Whatever the reason, it seems most games are already programmed to be safe against burn-in.

This was to prevent burn-in on any TV period.

Have you never seen burn-in on a coinop monitor? Scores and mazes are the main culprit.

Most modern TVs are resistant to burn-in, but plasma screens are notorious for it. I don't know about rear projection TVs. Modern front projection systems shouldn't be a problem since they use LCDs or DLP chips.

This was to prevent burn-in on any TV period.

Have you never seen burn-in on a coinop monitor? Scores and mazes are the main culprit.

Most modern TVs are resistant to burn-in, but plasma screens are notorious for it. I don't know about rear projection TVs. Modern front projection systems shouldn't be a problem since they use LCDs or DLP chips.

I remember instruction manuals from the Genesis days warned about rear projection TVs, so there's probably at least some risk. Never seen one damaged though.

I've seen a few damaged RPTVs. Except for the new 'chip' sets (DLP, DILA, LCD), rear projection sets use three monochromatic CRTs that are more prone to burn-in than regular color tube sets. Plasma is also very susceptible to burn-in.

I play Xbox daily on a 53" RPTV. My favorite games have large static elements like score and HUD. I've had no burn-in yet. The trick is to keep the brightness and contrast at a reasonable level (around 50% or less on most sets). Contrast in particular is one setting to watch out for...high-contrast = fast burn.

rear projection sets use three monochromatic CRTs that are more prone to burn-in than regular color tube sets.

Unless I'm mistaken, a trinitron monitor does the same thing, hence the name. That's why I'm wondering if it has a significant level of risk, or if its still negligible like any other CRT. Of course its possible the label "trinitron" maybe doesn't mean what it used to, or I'm just wrong about it altogether.

The only problem I have is I can't use a lightgun with my 52" TV May it be Atari or NES  :?

It really varies. Light guns are designed to pick up light off the screen and use it to interact with the game. But on these large screens, the light is displayed differently than CRTs. If you are having diffuculty getting your light gun to work, I hate to say it but try increasing the brightness of your TV.

Unless I'm mistaken, a trinitron monitor does the same thing, hence the name.

Nope, the difference between a trinitron and a 'regular' CRT is that the trinitron uses vertical wires (aperture grille) to mask the electron beams instead of a 'shadow mask'. The aperture grille blocks less light than the denser mask, resulting in a brighter display.