IGNORED

Unreleased Game You'd Like to See

Blany

If anyone would like help with graphics I'd love to do some for an ATARI LYNX game but I agree the bar has been raised by Alpine Games. I have done games for the Atari ST around 10 years ago but it would be great to do some more.

What's the screen resolution and colours available?

What's the screen resolution and colours available?

160x102, 16 colors.

Some tricks can be used to get more colors per screen, ie. changing the 16 colors that are used partway down the screen one or more times, and flipping between two different palettes (or screens) each frame to get more colors (Alpine Games does this, IIRC.)

I hope Stardreamer gets finished one day, too.

The problem is mainly in playability. A pure Elite clone would have been one way to go, but I was stupid enough to  put in some ideas of my own and making them work in an enjoyable way is not that easy.

And after Duranik raised the Lynx standard with Alpine Games I don't want to throw out some crap scoring 1 points.

--

Cheers,

Karri

well, trust me, when people are still playing the game decades later, even on pathetic hardware, that should tell you the core gameplay is solid :-) So if you can mimic the elite gameplay, I'd say you are safe just achieving that. I've played plenty of other games that tried to mimic elite & add or do things different, and none of them played as well. You don't see people going on about the clones today :-)

or starcycles - a tron cycle/snake type game

If you find a way to make it look nice on this §$%&§ lynx display, maybe some day I finish it ...

http://www.uni-giessen.de/~gd1113/lynx/old/Releases.zip

What file types are these? and what prog do I open them with?

I would try unzip.

The txt files can be open with every editor viewer whatever.

The o files can be uploaded into the lynx with a bll cable.

Anyone know the status of the 2 upcoming Lynx games listed at Songbird's website for a 2004 release (Distant Lands and Ultravore or Ultra Vortek)?

Unfortunately I have to keep pushing back the release date on both. Having a new baby at home will do that to you. ;) And I haven't heard from the DL programmer in quite some time -- Chris, you reading this? Please contact me if so.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my picks for this one:

Raiden II 8)

Raiden DX 8)

Wolfenstein 3D (This would kick @$$ on the Lynx!) :o

Doom :o

Doom II :o

SpeedBall 8)

PowerDrome Racing 8)

Base Wars (old NES robot baseball game) 8)

Ballblazer 8)

This is all wishful thinking, I know. But what if someone did all these classics on the Lynx. Now *that* would be cool!

I'm lucky enough to have a lode runner cart for my commodore sx from what I've been able to find out commodore carts are only 8 k/b so there would be plenty of room on a lynx cart to hold the data although the game editor the commodore version has would be lost on the lynx unless a way of saving the data could be developed. The commodore uses a very similar cpu to the lynx as well. so maybe it could be ported

Here are my picks for this one:

Wolfenstein 3D (This would kick @$$ on the Lynx!)  :o

Probably not impossible, as the AvP "demo" shows that the Lynx could do FPS quite well.

Ballblazer 8)

The released game Hyperdrome was conceptualized as a "Ballblazer" type game, but isn't that good. Still, if you're looking for a quick fix...

[/i]

• 3 weeks later...

Some other games i have seen Lynx screenshots of that i would love to see released are :-

Road Riot 4WD, California Games 2, Mechtiles, Super Sprint, Ultra Star Raiders, RC Demolition Derby and Space War.

Add on to them the likes of Rolling Thunder, Vindictors, 720, Geo-Duel and Eye Of The Beholder Etc and wonder why there are so many Lynx protos that were never finished.

Its all so sad i think i'll go and cry!

Some other games i have seen Lynx screenshots of that i would love to see released are :-
Road Riot 4WD

This is widely available from a number of third party retailers. ;)

California Games 2

Hasn't turned up on any proto lists. I would be very surprised if Atari was interested in this one' date=' given the fact of Epyx' bankruptcy.

, Mechtiles,

Perhaps, but the only protos out there (that I've heard of) aren't really playable.

Super Sprint, Ultra Star Raiders, RC Demolition Derby and Space War.

I don't think we'll ever see any of these.

Eye Of The Beholder Etc

Actually 100% complete, and burned onto quite a few pirate EPROMs, but not generally available.

I would love to know where i can get Road Riot 4WD, never seen it in England and Telegames don't have it (and they have everything usually). California Games 2 was actully previewed in an issue of Gamesmaster magazine alongside AVP they showed 2 screenshots, one of a title screen and another of a jetski event. So i asume it must have exisited somewhere. There was an Atari ST version which was released so maybe they were porting that. Lynx Paperboy is an ST port it even says Elite on the title screen, which is why the graphics look a bit scrappy, change in resolution etc.

Yep and they don't have it either. The only review i've ever seen was for a proto so it does seem to be very elusive.

That was probably the review I wrote for the Atari Times. The game is complete, but does have a few bugs that you probably won't notice while playing. I purchased mine from B&C Computervisions for $25, and it does pop up on eBay every once in awhile.

• 2 weeks later...