IGNORED

Who wants to help build the elusive PAL rarity list then?

Spirantho

just a note:

i did input all my Quelle carts into the main group as i don`t see a point to make a Quelle / Short group as there is no Quelle game which was released as short AND long cart.

I went home last night (obviously) and had a quick look at my Quelle carts - and indeed for one of them (I think it was World End) I had in both short and normal form.

So there are carts in both styles! :)

in the pirate section, you mention a t-handle with a text label. does the label look like this one? i have a couple of these with goliath game titles and the 83xxx serial numbers also have been associated with the goliath/hotshot games. but i don't think i have ever seen one on a t-handle. goliath games like spider kong and condor attack were released on a t-handle.

i wonder if these are prototypes or late releases with ultimately cheap labels.

post-1335-1097851625_thumb.jpg

Hey Buff, you "Mine-ed"  quite some carts I added  :P It's a "contributor" field, not an "I own this" field.

Heh... it doesn't mean much though so I wouldn't worry about it.

Incidentally, a note to all contributors: 'frax' has kindly written an upload script and server space for a server in Sweden, so we should now have more bandwidth and disk space available to us!

However, because of other changes I've been making, you won't be able to see any pictures uploaded this afternoon till the end of the day. Apart from my pictures, of course, but that's because I can do things like that. :)

You'll notice the cart icon only appears now if the picture is available.

in the pirate section, you mention a t-handle with a text label.  does the label look like this one?  i have a couple of these with goliath game titles and the 83xxx serial numbers also have been associated with the goliath/hotshot games.  but i don't think i have ever seen one on a t-handle.  goliath games like spider kong and condor attack were released on a t-handle.

I've only ever seen one - I'll try and upload a picture when I get home. It looks like a normal Goliath T-handle, except just a white text label... not quite the same as yours but not massively different either. I'd put a new label type - "Goliath/White Typed" or something if I were you.

@Spirantho

yes, you are absolutely correct - there do exist the one or other Quelle cart in short and standard shape because some of them were also shipped as two games in one box and therefore one cart had to be downsized.

@Whisper

yes, I misused the contributor button on some occasion - but i still think that everyone who has the game should be able to have the button available and should enter that information (now that we have more server-space). we could smoothen out wrongly input data and get a nice have-list also.

yes, I misused the contributor button on some occasion - but i still think that everyone who has the game should be able to have the button available and should enter that information (now that we have more server-space). we could smoothen out wrongly input data and get a nice have-list also.

I'll take another look at it, but that needs dynamic lists or arrays in MySQL and I haven't a clue how to do that. I'll take a look, but we can't do it any other way really (the database size would be huge.

I'll take another look at it, but that needs dynamic lists or arrays in MySQL and I haven't a clue how to do that. I'll take a look, but we can't do it any other way really (the database size would be huge.

I can help you solve this. You just need an extra table that holds that info.

And since it just stores ID's it doesn't have to be huge.

/frax

I can help you solve this. You just need an extra table that holds that info.

And since it just stores ID's it doesn't have to be huge.

I realise that it could be fixed quite easily at the moment, but assuming we have 900 carts when it's done, we then have 900*(number of users) fields. This isn't a problem when there's only 10 people, but what about when there's more? It seems very wasteful when the actual table will only be about 1% full.

If I can find a way of doing a dynamic list of users owning a cart for each game, then that overhead is foregone, so that's what I want to do.

I realise that it could be fixed quite easily at the moment, but assuming we have 900 carts when it's done, we then have 900*(number of users) fields. This isn't a problem when there's only 10 people, but what about when there's more? It seems very wasteful when the actual table will only be about 1% full.

If I can find a way of doing a dynamic list of users owning a cart for each game, then that overhead is foregone, so that's what I want to do.

No no no, your thinking about this the wrong way, add a new table, a link table.

The new table has 2 fields userid & gameid.

So when user id 11 owns cart id 539 just insert 11, 539 and so on.

So for each game you can easily find how many owns it with a select count(*) from linktablename where gameid=539

Or to list my gameid's just select gameid from linktabelname where userid=11

Now you can also use (inner, left, right, outer) joins, group by and things like that so avoid quering the database for each game when presenting the list but thats overkill for now (or?).

/frax

OK, we now have a tally of each cart for each owner!

Please everybody go and add your collection tallies, then we may be able to see a bit of geographical distribution - could be interesting.

You can now:

* Change quantity per user

* View other people's collections (let me know if this bothers you!)

* See who owns how many of which carts

It's all fairly self-explanatory, I feel. :)

No, because the focus is not on people's collection, but on what carts exist.

We should only declare the list "beta" when we feel we've added 95% or so of the carts that exist, and this'll take time. I think we've got most of the common ones done but there's about five million pirate carts out there and I don't think we've got them all done at all... then of course there's the HomeVision carts and suchlike which are like hen's teeth....

In the meantime we've got to just keep tracking down PAL carts and adding them as we ascertain they're really PAL. Then I think we can open the list up (read-only) to the public, and we can add carts that people suggest. Then after that we can merge the database with the chaps at AtariMania.com and get loads of posh photos done (though we can use the good one's we've done so far).

That's the master plan. :) It'll take time to get it to a complete stage as there's so much stuff we don't know about - like "Space Birds", in an auction on eBay.de. Don't recognise the name or the label, so I've asked the seller for a close-up photo. If it's really Atari 2600 I'll get it and stuff it on the list...

I have a Commavic Cosmic Swarm, which looks exactly like this one:http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=110 and the person i traded it with claims it's PAL. Unfortunately the cart is in storage so i can't test it right now, but is this how the PAL Cosmic Swarm is supposed to look like (it looks different compared to the other PAL Commavid titles)?.

Also, are Rainbow Vision carts the same as the carts labeled 'Fantastic Game'?

Next remark: It seems that Homevision games come in two flavors. Carts in a white casing, and carts in a black casing. I think we should remove the category Homevision / picture and replace it with Homevision / white casing

Ok. I put on all the carts i can (all the other ones in my collection are in storage, and i can't check the exact label type of those...)

the Rainbow Vision carts have an "SS-" with a number on the front label - i don`t own a game from "Fantastic" so i can`t tell you if they are really Rainbow Vision.

You`re right about the different HomeVision carts - Spiranthou will surely correct/add the appropriate label.

You will have to wait with Cosmic Swarm when you can test it in person - then you can compare it to the emulator rom.

I have a Commavic Cosmic Swarm, which looks exactly like this one:http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=110 and the person i traded it with claims it's PAL. Unfortunately the cart is in storage so i can't test it right now, but is this how the PAL Cosmic Swarm is supposed to look like (it looks different compared to the other PAL Commavid titles)?.

I believe that the normal Commavid style Cosmic Swarm only exists PAL, but I think it also exists in the NTSC style label - though I'm not sure. That's why we're creating this guide, after all. :)

No, I believe Rainbow Vision games have "Video Game" written on them don't they?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=8140205518

is an example of a Rainbow Vision game.

Next remark: It seems that Homevision games come in two flavors. Carts in a white casing, and carts in a black casing. I think we should remove the category Homevision / picture and replace it with Homevision / white casing

True. I'll change that when I get that far scanning in my collection (I have one of each- I think Robot Fight (1) is black casing).

Hey Spirantho, can you also put the user Whisper into the "I won?" search box? Heh, you should make that a dynamic box that automatically selects the users from the db ;) Then I can easily track my carts that haven't got a pic attatched to them. Thanks!

*shuts his big mouth before he has to code it himself* :ponder:

Hey Spirantho, can you also put the user Whisper into the "I won?" search box? Heh, you should make that a dynamic box that automatically selects the users from the db  ;)  Then I can easily track my carts that haven't got a pic attatched to them. Thanks!

Hehe..

The user "Whisper" is in the drop down box - it's the user Spirantho that's not. ;)

IF you want to see your own carts you just click "What do I own?" - the button directly above it! It doesn't show your own id in the "What does xxx own?" box!

Sirs, I don't get it. Has the quantity field been reset? So I should go through all of my collection AGAIN?  :woozy: I can't even see the records I opened by clicking on "what do I own"!  :?

The reason for that is that the Quantity field was a global quantity of what was owned. However, owing to overwhelming popular demand ( :P ), I changed it to a per-user basis.

The original Quantity information is still there, and is just as useful as it ever was (i.e. not very) but you just can't see it.

You don't have to put all your collection back in, as the important thing is that the carts have an entry. However, it is helpful to see how many each of us have of each cart as it may aid us to work out geographical distribution.

Sorry about the extra hassle! Believe me I know how you feel (I had to go through my 634 PAL carts and increase my quantity!)

yes, thats why i`m glad i put my name in the contributors field of all games i own :D

a small status update:

- CBS carts need to be added (black/color)

- Spectravision/video carts need to be added

- Telesys carts need to be added

- look through Quelle carts (standard/short)

- adding ownership to all my carts