IGNORED

Weird looking Frogger?

jstefans

That is weird. It's definitely not the standard Frogger or Frogger II. The seller is in Canada, so maybe it's a pirate game (lots more black market games were sold in Canada). Frogger is one of the most cloned games around, someone on this board posted a picture of 10 or so different pirate Froggers once.

Rhindle, Please post the response you get from the seller, Im kinda curious. I know one thing...This seller is going to be very happy. Ive already been outbid on the auction and it's up to over $7 for those painfully common carts. I might have to bid again tho just to see what the heck that cart is tho.

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

I saw this before somewhere, but I can't remember where! It was in a gallery on a web page somewhere with pictures of other weird and bizarre cartridges.... now if only I had saved the URL...

That would probably have been my site. The game is a German Frogger cart. It has the logo of Parker Germany on the label, so I'm sure it's not a pirate cart. The cartridge case is the same that Homevision used.

Parker Bros. had a factory in France and Homevision was supposedly located in Belgium, another frech-speaking country. Homevision was probably the only European company that wrote and manufactured it's own games in the early 1980's, so I think Parker Germany might have outsourced the production of some Frogger carts to them, when the game was so hot that they couldn't fullfill the demand themselves.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

moycon:

Most Frogger carts in Germany are just like the ones in other countries. And I think Frogger is the only game that Parker produced in this alternative case style. So the German label Frogger cart is pretty hard to find in Germany as well. How much this is worth to you, I don't know.

jah fish:

Are you sure these are really Sancho carts? All the ones I have seen so far had a case similar to the Activision one, with a wrap around label.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

quote:

Originally posted by MaO:

This is a Frogger cart from HES.

I don't think so. HES usually used similar cases as Activision with the wrap-around labels. I think some time ago we had a discussion here where Marco posted a picture with 10 different versions of Frogger and the HES version was one of them.

The cart in the auction has the same graphics and design as the normal Frogger label, but it says "Weltbekannt durch Monopoly" under the logo. I don't think HES would use this version of the Parker logo.

The cartridge case of this game is similar to the one Atari used for some of their silver label games. It has one of those dust protectors that you can push in with a finger. The only difference is that the Frogger cart has some raised lines on the sides to increase the grip. I think Homevision used this case type for some of their games.

You can see a scan of the label on my picture page. The link was mentioned in a previous post a bit further up.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

quote:

Originally posted by moycon:

Well how much is a German Frogger worth anyways?

Or maybe Parker Bros. actually released some of these in Canada too. I would have thought we would have found more of them by now if that was the case... but who knows, there's some strange finds made in Canada.

--Zero

On a related note:

Parker Germany also released some of their games in a different box style. This happened for the normally shaped cartridges as well. The boxes open on the front side and have the top-right corner missing. The boxes also have the "Weltbekannt durch Monopoly" logo on them. Did Parker use this box style in other countries as well?

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg