IGNORED

Chronicles Of Ataria

matzieq

There is nothing special about the fireball, believe me: it's just a plain line being shot :P But at higher levels monsters begin shooting too. And after that they become invisible and appear only when they try to hit you. And after that.... okay, there's one more monster's magic power, but I'm not sure if there are some levels that have it in this version. It's implemented and working though.

Thank you all for your feedback! I'm glad that you like this game (I didn't really expect so much feedback) :)

And those enemies aren't influenced by Archon, however when I think of it, you're right:) Actually, their shape is not very thinked out, just written some 0s and 1s to display something :)

Back when I wrote some 'basic' game son my 800 it was hard to build a character that didnt look like something else - 8x8 pixels doesnt give a whole lot of room for imagination ;)

I have new aim in my life: to become an unbelievably rich businessman and buy Atari from these bloodsuckers.

Guess I should really change this to Taria.

And what about the gods: Bushan and Nolnell, and the dwarven smith Frev de Stisco? Are they also dangerous?

I don't believe you need to change any of the names at all. I'm not a lawyer, but I think this would fall under parody and you shouldn't have to worry about those bloodsuckers.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I found some time to do a thing about the game. Here's a version without the bottom-floor-shifting-down-by-one-scanline error, and a bit optimized (you probably won't see it on the screen, but I saved around 300-400 bytes of ROM, by doing one simple thing which I won't tell anybody 'cause I'd turn red :) ) Also, if you'll spot poor Sir Pixel hanging on the platform by the head again (or something equally stupid) let me know - I tried to repair it.

And also, I messed with colors, which is problematic, because... I'm colorblind :) Could anyone tell me if these colours are good, or bad, and if they're bad then which of them should be there (numbers please)?

So that's all for now.

I'll be trying to do some improvements on game play.

If there are other errors, let me know.

Thanks!

chronicles.zip

Finally, I found some time to do a thing about the game. Here's a version without the bottom-floor-shifting-down-by-one-scanline error, and a bit optimized (you probably won't see it on the screen, but I saved around 300-400 bytes of ROM, by doing one simple thing which I won't tell anybody 'cause I'd turn red  ) Also, if you'll spot poor Sir Pixel hanging on the platform by the head again (or something equally stupid) let me know - I tried to repair it.  

And also, I messed with colors, which is problematic, because... I'm colorblind  Could anyone tell me if these colours are good, or bad, and if they're bad then which of them should be there (numbers please)?  

So that's all for now.  

I'll be trying to do some improvements on game play.  

If there are other errors, let me know.  

Thanks!

The invisible platform bug seems to be gone. The game seems plays smoother and seems a bit easier - of course, I'd like to believe that I'm getting better. :-D

I've now seen 3 different enemy types and used the fireball. :-) I can't wait to find out what the X item is that I haven't used yet. I was one screen away from getting it when an amoeba(?) got me.

Thanks again for keeping us posted on this. Great game! 8) :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to say, but I have to leave this project for a while. I wanted to finish it, as well as take part in 7800 homebrew contest, but now I have a lot (I mean A WHOLE LOT) of work at my university - and I have to leave cycle counting for things like C, or even... Java (yuck!). When things get better, I'll be back :)

PS. Actually, I like programming in C pretty much :) And lately, I had to learn some Fortran, which got me another goal to accomplish - write a game in Fortran 77 :)

Sad to say, but I have to leave this project for a while. I wanted to finish it, as well as take part in 7800 homebrew contest, but now I have a lot (I mean A WHOLE LOT) of work at my university - and I have to leave cycle counting for things like C, or even... Java (yuck!). When things get better, I'll be back :)  

PS. Actually, I like programming in C pretty much :) And lately, I had to learn some Fortran, which got me another goal to accomplish - write a game in Fortran 77 :)

Too bad...hurry back!! Your game is AWESOME! and therefor so are you. 8)

The beauty of a 2600 homebrew is that there is no time limit on when you finish it. The system will still be just as obsolete tomorrow as it is today.

Your game shows a lot of promise and I hope you'll come back to it as soon as you get some free time. Good luck with your school work.

• 1 year later...

Awesome game! Awesome work! I'd be happy if I did something this good.

Bugs I notice if you ever do get back to this (I am using latest Stella on WinXP):

After losing my third life the ending death sound keeps playing and doesn't stop. I had to exit out and reload.

Would be cool if there's an indication you should move to the right after completing a level.

Awesome game! Awesome work! I'd be happy if I did something this good.

Bugs I notice if you ever do get back to this (I am using latest Stella on WinXP):

After losing my third life the ending death sound keeps playing and doesn't stop. I had to exit out and reload.

Would be cool if there's an indication you should move to the right after completing a level.

974470[/snapback]

Is this even still being worked on? (Last post: 2004; user last active: March, 2005)

Why don't you read the entire thread before bumping it. Matzieq said over a year ago he had to put this game aside to work on his university studies. His last log in date was March 19, 2005.

This one should go in the unfinished homebrew forum.

Edited by Big Player