IGNORED

Who says the Xbox is big?!

Starscream

My Pioneer LaserActive is definitely bigger than the Xbox. But then, it was designed to fit into regular rack stereo/home entertainment systems, so it's built to those specifications. Just like the CD-i. From what I have read, there were portable LCD versions of the CD-i by the end of it's life cycle, so they didn't need to be that big. But the home versions of the CD-i needed to look the part, so they had to be a certain size and shape to fit in with contemporary electronics. That's why I always thought it was a bad idea for Philips to make the CD-i into a game console shape later in it's life. It made it look like a game console (which was a market it just couldn't compete in) instead of a CD player and VCD player.

My Pioneer LaserActive is definitely bigger than the Xbox. But then, it was designed to fit into regular rack stereo/home entertainment systems, so it's built to those specifications. Just like the CD-i. From what I have read, there were portable LCD versions of the CD-i by the end of it's life cycle, so they didn't need to be that big. But the home versions of the CD-i needed to look the part, so they had to be a certain size and shape to fit in with contemporary electronics. That's why I always thought it was a bad idea for Philips to make the CD-i into a game console shape later in it's life. It made it look like a game console (which was a market it just couldn't compete in) instead of a CD player and VCD player.

my fav version of the cdi is probabaly the 450 - its that grey flatish one with the push lid to open - the magnavox version. nicest one i think. and ive always wanted one of the of portables - lately they've been springing up on ebay a lot but i can't afford one :(

In stacking some hardware, cleaning up my living room, I was surprised to see that the Xbox was smaller than my '94 VCR... probably heavier though, and in some ways "feels" bigger, maybe the big ol' find. Still, it's a pretty powerful system.

I appreciate the care Nintendo puts into the design of its cases...I'd love to see an old GC turned into a PC case...(yeah I know, wouldn't work, but still)

hopefully they'll make history this weekend :) They put my interest in football back in full swing this year :D

Should be a sweet game this next weekend, vs my hometown team the Pats...Two 5-0 teams enter, one 6-0 team leaves.

So far, both teams have had not too difficult seasons... Pats played 2 good teams, the Colts and the Seahawks. Looks like Jets played one good team, the Chargers. Still, any given Sunday...though given the way the Pats always "just win" games, it'll probably be a nailbiter.

Is your avatar from ZPC?

Yep, ZPC. I found my CD a week or so ago, and played it for a good while. It inspired me to make the avatar. 8)

Will the new "mini-me" PSTwo still be able to stand on it's side, or will it need some kind of bracket to fit into? Because I wouldn't want to stand it on it's side as is. You accidentally pull on the controller cord, and it would fall over and possibly take damage.

But the home versions of the CD-i needed to look the part, so they had to be a certain size and shape to fit in with contemporary electronics.

Heh...reminds me of how the toaster-NES got to look that way...anything to look like a piece of home theater-ish electronics and not a game machine...though they did it on the cheap, so the effect is kind of lost.