IGNORED

Main Characters with a voice... Good or Bad?

Jasoco

It's an interesting artistic choice...

one of the biggest examples is GTA3, with its mute hero, vs. GTA:VC, with Ray Liotta.

On the one hand, a mute hero probably lets the player "identify" more w/ the character. On the other hand, there are a lot of dialog things you can do when the main character talks, sometimes it seems forced to have the main guy completely silent.

So, the mute guy is cooler, but the talking guy can have more interesting things to say. I'd say it's a tossup.

Wow...best case of this is with the Jak and Daxter games for the PS2. In the original Jak and Daxter, it is only Daxter who talks from time to time throwing out witty remarks, especially when you die. But Daxter isn't really much of a playable character in the games. Jak was the silent hero who spoke only through his animated facial expressions during cutscenes. Then in the second Jak and Daxter, Jak was given a voice. However, he only speaks during the cut scenes and, while I wasn't really sure about it at first, it seemed totally natural after a while. I am sure that both Jak and Daxter will be quite verbal in their 3rd upcoming game. But in time, we will all forget that Jak never spoke in the first game...hehe..

it totally depends on the quality of the voice acting and how well it fits the game. can you imagine duke nukem without his voice? one of the better recent examples was XIII with david duchovny, his disoriented sounding voice added a thinking mans layer to what would have otherwise been a generic action hero. it does get annoying in any game when the same lines are repeated over and over though. whenever i find myself having to play thru an area dozens of times i turn the sound off.

I'll tell you what bugs me to no end.. it's 3D Zelda. Ever since they decided to have Link say HAAA everytime you press the damn sword button it's driven me nuts. Why can't it be just like good old 2D Zelda where all you'd hear was the sword swish instead? Instead I gotta listen to 12+ hours of HAAA!! YAA!! HAAA!!! YAAA :x !!!

Hard to say really. Using some of the above examples, I prefer the mute Jak over the Jak who talks in Jak II. However I loved the Ray Liotta voice acting From Vice City and thought it fit perfectly and really was an improvement over the mute anti-hero of GTA3.

I guess it just depends on the acting. Jade from Beyond Good & Evil was perfectly voiced and I doubt the game could have been as good without it. However IMO the voice acting in Sons of Liberty was garbage, as was the script. The cut scenes with all of that terrible voice acting (not just the main character) ruined what could have been a really good game.

-S

VERY much agreed about XIII, Duchovny's voice was just perfect, as was Adam West. However, sometimes I like a mute hero...other times, I like one who's vocal. A perfect example was the first Metal Gear Solid. David Hayter's sort of gravelly, growling voice was great, and it added a LOT to the game, as did the other excellent voice overs. I don't think that game would have had near the impact if any of the characters in it were mute. But, say like in the Zelda games, or even something like Paper Mario, it works just fine. Samus doesn't talk, and she's one of my all time favorite video game characters (and Metroid is my number one all time favorite game franchise, bar none).

I also think that games like Resident Evil worked like they did because of the bad voice acting, not in spite of it. The game was supposed to be like a bad B horror movie, not something with a mega budget. Bad horror movies have bad acting and worse dialogue, so, the game had that too. I for one think it worked just fine. The acting and dialogue did get better as the games went on, though. Look at the RE-make versus the original. Night and day.

I'll tell you what bugs me to no end.. it's 3D Zelda. Ever since they decided to have Link say HAAA everytime you press the damn sword button it's driven me nuts. Why can't it be just like good old 2D Zelda where all you'd hear was the sword swish instead? Instead I gotta listen to 12+ hours of HAAA!! YAA!! HAAA!!! YAAA :x !!!

You know I thought exactly the same. Nintendo has been doing that lately on all their games: the GBA Zelda, GC Mario/kart/parties, the mario advances, Pikmin 2. All of these have their characters doing a high pitched or annoying yell. Even the Gamecube unit has an alternative, z-activated (thank god) kiddie intro sound.

I also think that games like Resident Evil worked like they did because of the bad voice acting, not in spite of it. The game was supposed to be like a bad B horror movie ... Bad horror movies have bad acting and worse dialogue...

Although I never thought about it that way I have to agree with you. Very good point you make there.

-S

Oh, good lord, the first Grandia had some of THE crappiest voice acting imaginable. It literally embarrassed me to listen to it, and thankfully, there was text, so I just turned the volume down when the voices came on. That was an instance they really should have just shut...the...hell...up and not did any voiceovers.

I don't mind the characters saying things... as long as the voice matches the character. I do mind a Japanese person trying to speak English with a French or British accent (XBOX DOAX Volleyball). It usually ends sounding like gibberish.

I'm also not impressed with being forced to endure long passages or either printed text or speech or video when I really want to play a game. I tried to play a GameCube game (The one with Luigi playing Ghostbuster) at the store and walked away disappointed.

It's OK if the main character is meant to be a particular person (Luke Skywalker etc..) because inclusion of their voice heightens the realism.

If the main character is meant to be you, or someone created by you, then silence is best.

Main character with voice = very bad.  Particulalry if it's an adventure or RPG.  Even worse when you give that character your own name.

Amen to that. I mean isn't it weird how they, my allies, have never, ever, said my name? :lolblue:

But I guess its a tie... But sometimes the voice acting can be god-awful.

I was ambivalent about this issue until I spent some quality time with Simpsons Hit'n'Run. "I'm soaring like a candy wrapper in an updraft!" Mario Sunshine was only a little annoying ("Ohhhhhhh. Mama mia!") but then the Ocarina of Time practice of "mostly mute protagonist with yappy cohort" ("Hay! Yissen!") really grated after a while.