IGNORED

Krokodile Cartridge Pre-Ordering & Label Contest

Albert

KrokodileCart1.jpgThe Krokodile Cartridge is a programmable game cartridge for the Atari 2600 game console containing 512K of Flash ROM that can be programmed by connecting the cartridge to a Windows PC. The cartridge supports several different bankswitching methods and also includes 32K of built-in RAM to support games that require additional onboard cartridge memory (such as Atari's SARA-chip games). Krokodile Cartridge creator Armin Vogl and AtariAge have teamed up to sponsor a Krokodile Cartridge Label Contest to design an original label for the Krokodile Cartridge. The winner of the contest will receive their own Krokodile Cartridge, free of charge (a $99 value), as well as his or her name in the credits as listed in the manual. Complete details on how to enter the contest may be found here, and the Krokodile Cartridge can be pre-ordered in the AtariAge Store here. Good luck!

I have spent some time testing the Krokodile Cart (have tested just about every homebrew game as well as many in development) and it works extremely well. Uploading software to the cart is very fast, and if you're developing a game, you can do an "incremental" upload, which will only upload changes to the cart, for an even faster upload. Creating multicarts is very easy as well. There are some screenshots of the Krokodile Commander software and of the multicart in action in our store page here.

If you want to discuss the contest, please use this thread I started in the Contests Forum.

..Al

• 1 month later...

Does the Win software help in the process of determining the bankswitch method / size of each ROM or does the user have to do that first before compiling a multicart of a specific bankswitch/ size?  

The Krokodile Commander comes with a database that contains the

bankswitching methods for all known ROMs. If you select a ROM, the

bankswitching method is displayed.

If you compile a multicart, the Krokodile Commander only lets you select ROMs that have the correct size. So ...

if you compile a non switched multicart, you can select 1K,2K and 4K ROMs

if you compile a F8 switched multicart, you can select 1K,2K,4K and 8K ROMs

if you compile a F6 switched multicart, you can select 1K,2K,4K and 16K ROMs

if you compile a F4 switched multicart, you can select 1K,2K,4K and 32K ROMs

The Commander does currently not check the bankswitching mode, only the size. So in theory you could select an 8K superchip ROM into an F8 multicart. But this game wouldn't work then. If you think the Commander should check the mode too, then I can easily implement it :-)

You mean it would tell you if a ROM was not valid?  

If so that would be cool.  

If it doesn't have the correct size you can not select it, because

the file selection dialog simply doesn't show it.

Hmm... I think in the next version I will look up the bankswitching

mode of a selected ROM in the database and display a warning if

the mode does not fit.

Are the pre-orders still expected to ship first of January?  

I just pre-ordered today and already I'm getting antsy

Maybe it will be a little later, also because shipping is slow during christmas time. But I am sure it will be in January :D

• 5 weeks later...