IGNORED

KABOOM MILLION PATCH

Rick Weis

Hello,

i have an activision patch letter for kaboom that reads "if you REALLY get Serious about catching bombs and reach an amazing 999,999 points (the maximum) please send us a photo, we'll have another reward for you!" my question is: has anyone ever seen or know about the kaboom MILLION patch?

wish you all good luck with your collecting!

Rick

999,999!!! Is that possible???!!! I havent played that game seriously since I was a kid...But I only remember getting like 5,000 points...on a good game. I dont remember that being a very high scoring game. I guess if you were really good and had about 20 hrs to kill. I'd want more than a stinkin patch tho!!

Hello my name is Michael Matei. I run a website dedicated to the atari 2600 game Kaboom. First of all..Yes 999,999 has been achieved! and recorded more than once. On the Kaboom website under the pictures catigory you can see a screenshot of 999,999 being achieved by Todd Rogers (a high score expert).

I am friends with the creator of Kaboom, Larry Kaplan. He told me that he went to a gaming expo and a kid went into a zen like state and got 999,999 in front of a crowd of people..

I collect everything to do with the atari 2600 game Kaboom. I own the activision patch, the kaboom hanging mobile, the tiger electronic kaboom keychain, all 3 version of the labels black and white, colored and the blue label. I also made a painting of the game which I sold to Larry Kaplan himself for 500 dollars a few months ago. There is a picture of the painting on the Kaboom website. I would be very interested in purchasing that letter from you so that i can scan it and put it up on Kaboom Online. If anyone has any rare Kaboom merchandise like this or any stories concerning Kaboom please post it here or visit my site and sign my guestbook. So rick weis visit my site and check out everything you ever wanted to know about Kaboom! and if you have any other questions concerning the game that the site can not answer for you email me at Elvis8atari@aol.com

here's the link

www.geocities.com/elvis8atari

Kaboom Online

Sincerely,

Mike "Madbomber" Matei

Rick,

Here's part of an email conversation that I had with Activision's Customer Relations Representative Jan Marsella.

Jan was in-fact in charge of the old "Activision's" Newsletter. If in-fact you reached the Hi-Scores, Jan was one of they key people over at Activision that ended-up reading your letter, looking at your photo and eventually sending out a patch to you.

Hang Ten!

Ken

-------------------------------------------

ken@activision: Jan, there was mention if the player reached 999,999 the player would receive a "special patch"?

JMarsella: Good old KaBoom, one of my favorite games.Yes, I had designed patches for one level of KaBoom and if you reached the "almost" million mark - you also got a stripe to put over or under the regular patch. People put them all over jackets, hats, etc.

ken@activision: Ahhh... OK... so there was an additional stripe patch made?

JMarsella: Yes, in fact we had them for any game that allowed you accomplish really extreme levels.

I like the expression 'zen like state' for kids playing computer games and sinking deeply into the game. I remember that when I was playing like I could forget everything around me just like reading a good fantasy book and it was far better than watchin TV (hmpf.. back then I didnt think TV was bad...) Nowadays I rarely fall into the atmosphere of a computer game, guess that's what they call 'adult'.

Yes, I had designed patches for one level of KaBoom and if you reached the "almost" million mark - you also got a stripe to put over or under the regular patch.

Back in 1982, I set out to beat Kaboom, and finally got the 999,999 score. It took 5-1/2 hours! I sent a picture to Activision and got a cool patch, but it wasn't any special "million" version. Dang.

Oh well, my mom made up for it by making a t-shirt with those puffy iron-on letters that read "KABOOM! 999,999" . I even wore it to school. How I avoided getting my ass kicked, I'll never know

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: El Destructo ]

The patch I received looked like this:

kaboom_bucket_brigade.jpg

I didn't get an additional Kaboom! "million" stripe patch. I'd love to see what it looks like. Very few must be around; I think Kaboom! is one of the toughest games to max out.

p.s. I also submitted my score to Electronic Fun with Computers and Games' high score contest, but five other players beat me to it! They did publish my playing tips in the March '83 Letters section, though.

-El D.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: El Destructo ]

Ben,

yes... i see how you can get that impression... but! that million patch has the colors for laser blast so it not really generic then...that was the reason i asked if there was a million patch for kaboom... i thought they had made different million patches with different colors! (i really hope they didn't!!) less for me to collect!!

Rick

Ben,

yes... i see how you can get that impression... but! that million patch has the colors for laser blast so it not really generic then...that was the reason i asked if there was a million patch for kaboom... i thought they had made different million patches with different colors! (i really hope they didn't!!) less for me to collect!!

Rick

I love all this Kaboom conversation. I personally hope there is another colored patch so that I can add it to my collection. If anyone out there has the Kaboom million patch please e-mail me.

>I recieved the activision patch letter you sent. I will be scanning it and putting it up on Kaboom Online soon.

>Does anyone else out there have the Kaboom hanging mobile? I have one but 2 of the bombs are missing.

>Visit the madbomber at Kaboom Online. www.geocities.com/elvis8atari

Sincerely,

Mike Matei

atari-jess,

I AGREE!! 100%!!!

i think activision was the best 3rd party company for supporting the atari 2600!

not only did they make great games! but they made cool patches to make you want to get better at playing the games they make!!

smart... real smart!!

Rick

i know it must seem pretty ridiculas to care about a stupid add on patch but I have every piece of Kaboom merchandise known to exist other than the kaboom for snes and the million patch. It's impossible to get the snes kaboom because it was never released. Hopefully it will be made into a rom one day. Thanks

Mike

Kaboom Online www.geocities.com/elvis8atari

Kaboom online will be updated over Thanksgiving. So check back after that for any Kaboom fans out there.

Elvis8atari said:

quote:

where did you hear that the million patch matched the kaboom patch color scheme? Who would know something like that?

I think I heard it from a guy I was trading patches with a long time back -- I didn't even know about the Laser Blast million patch at the time, and got one off of him, but he said he was looking for the Kaboom million patch. Don't know where HE heard it from though...